Fading Fast

Connoisseur
^^
Gene Kelly...An American In Paris...I'd like to say it was one of his best, but on closer examination Gene Kellys scripts all seemed to follow an incrementally more familiar plot line, each set in a different location. However, as an actor, Kelly did give the viewer a lot of bang for his/her movie buck(s)! ;)
Agreed and the same thing can be said of Fred Astaire movies with the formula being:

Astaire + pretty female dance partner + exotic locale or upper-class society setting + minor issue(s) thwarting his efforts to attract pretty dance partner + some other plot nonsense + a bunch of song and dance numbers (the whole reason for the movie) = successful movie that makes plenty of money
Laugh (as I do sometimes, while still enjoying the movie), but it worked for three decades for Astaire.

Ungentleman

1568125457473.png

1568125721266.png

1568125748027.png

I watched "Lethal Weapon" all the way through for the first time the other day, and was surprised to see Danny Glover's character wearing relatively natural shoulders and pinned collars. Pretty trad, especially compared to his partner.

TKI67

I just rewatched Joe Versus the Volcano. The chap who sells Joe those marvelous trunks was wearing a very nifty Donegal suit with a Bengal striped shirt and a bow tie. Quite sharp. Plus it’s a quirky and charming flick with a better than average soundtrack. You can Youtube the scene with “Are you traveling light or...heavy?” While you’re on Youtube you might as well listen to Eric Burdon’s version of Sixteen Tons.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
It seems like there were quite a few movies in the early to mid 60's that showcased some good trad attire even thought they weren't great movies.
You know you've crossed some line that you don't want to admit when you're watching a bad '60s movie just to see if the sport coat some character's wearing has a center hook vent. Of course, I'm talking about what I know a friend of mine does, not me of course - I'd never do that.

FiscalDean

You know you've crossed some line that you don't want to admit when you're watching a bad '60s movie just to see if the sport coat some character's wearing has a center hook vent. Of course, I'm talking about what I know a friend of mine does, not me of course - I'd never do that.
Here in Wisconsin's great Northwoods, most activities involve being outside. Today is going to be only the third day this month without rain.

Troones

Not a movie, but can I mention Michael J. Fox as Alex P. Keaton in the 80's sitcom Family Ties? I happened to see a re-run a few months ago while flipping around on the tube. I was a kid/teen and never really paid attention back then, but Alex was always sharply dressed in some great tweeds and ties, clearly from BB and J. Press (and others I'm sure.) The episode I saw showed him in a great 3/2 roll herringbone with the classic hook vent.

Virtue Aesthetics

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Not sure if we said this one yet but I'll put in a vote for "A River Runs Through It". The entire culture of the film felt quite trad, in a geographically and economically agnostic way (my preferred kind of trad anyway).

1571946842807.png

1571946929572.png

Corcovado

I re-watched "Metropolitan" last night. I guess it's been nearly 30 years since I first saw it. Naturally I thought of this forum and this thread, and also the "trad girlfriend" thread, as I watched it. I was not surprised to see that it has already been mentioned in the comments, indeed at the very start, but I was surprised that the mentions were all dismissive. I really like this sweet and often funny movie which seems to have laid some groundwork for Wes Anderson, whose movies I also like.
metro 06 mansfield.jpg

"Mansfield Park? You got to be kidding."

metro 05.jpg

"I warn you, he's a Fourierist!"

metropolitan 04.jpg

metro 03.jpg

metro 02.jpg

metro 01.jpg

Last edited:

Dr.Watson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
My wife and I rewatched Metropolitan recently as well (I bought a pink shetland sweater on sale last summer inspired by the film's "Charlie" character, but on rewatching I think his sweater might actually be cotton). It is such a great movie. Interestingly, several of the female actresses (Sally, Jane, and Audrey's mother) wore their own clothes.

Taylor Nichol's wardrobe in Barcelona is also quite nice. Though his jackets are darted and pants are pleated, all his shirts are voluminous button down collar oxfords.

33.jpg

barcelona_03.jpg

1000694589.jpg

Fun fact, Whit Stillman made Chris Eigeman wear a madras jacket in Barcelona; the actor hated it so much that Stillman made him wear one again in Last Days of Disco.
stillman_barcelona_1.png

Chris-Eigeman-and-Mackenzie-Astin-in-a-taxi-in-Whit-Stillmans-The-Last-Days-of-Disco-jpg.jpg

And you are right, Wes Anderson actually said he was inspired by Whit Stillman at one point: https://www.whitstillman.org/2013/10/11/wes-anderson-was-inspired-by-whit-stillmans-metropolitan/

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
In the movie "Beyond a Reasonable Doubt" form 1956 (my comments on the movie here: #340 ), one of the plot twists depends on the main character buying a "generic" grey Tweed overcoat.

Try as I could, the first pic below is the best one I could find of that scene (or the coat). I'm sure a better pic is out there, but I couldn't find it.

As a consolation prize though, the second and third pics are of an incredibly beautiful herringbone overcoat from the movie that plays no part in the plot though.

DpjqJrVXcAEWjT-.jpg
81B1mQr2fiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
IMG_5909.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I recently watched the 1956 move "Julie" (comments here #345 ) with Doris Day, Louis Jordan and Barry Sullivan.

Set and filmed on the West Coast, the clothes were, of course, very mid-'50s America, but you could feel the West Coast as the clothes had fewer East-Coast-Ivy details like OCBDs or 3/2 sport coats.

That said, Sullivan's duffle coat (1st pic) could not have been more Ivy perfect as were some of Doris Day's outfits (women's Ivy, of course - a lot of women in the movie wearing cardigans).

MV5BM2EyNzMzYTEtOTQzMC00ZGM3LWI2ZGMtZmRiZDk0ZmQ5YmUzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAyODg1OA@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMmEwY2RkNDctYTA5OS00MDYxLWEyOWEtYjRkZDY2NzAyOTYwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAyODg1OA@@._V1_.jpg
MV5BMjE5ZDBlNjYtMjUwNy00MTQ2LWEzNWYtMTY4MTlhNDU5NzEwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjAyODg1OA@@._V1_.jpg
julie-lg.jpg
JulieStill2.jpg

Corcovado

Aside from the shoulders of the coats, I thought the FBI agents in the movie "Black Mass" looked like they wouldn't be too out of place in this thread.

Black-Mass 1.jpg

Black mass 02.jpg

black mass 03.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
(Cross post from the Tweed Thread)

Kirk Douglas' suit from the movie "Young Man with a Horn:"
1990739088085023017.jpg
young-man-with-a-horn-kirk-douglas-original_1_740d5ef3e9cc0c6034a048f0a19bf04b.jpg
s-l300-5.jpg

He also wore this sport coat (maybe suit, don't remember) in the movie:
MV5BOGNiNDg2MmQtOTQ3Zi00NjA1LTgyY2UtZWVkNGNjNWUwYzAzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_.jpg

My comments on the movie here #355

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.