Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Caught a few minutes of two James Garner movies, "Grand Prix" and "36 Hours," yesterday and he was wearing a different grey herringbone sport coat in each. A quick search told me what I thought, he was a big fan a sport coats and big fan of grey herringbone ones.
James Garner.jpg
portrait-of-james-garner-jack-robinson.jpg
MV5BZTU2YWQzNmQtM2FhMS00MWFmLTliZDktMTI5NjM2NjlmYjM1XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMDI3OTIzOA@@._V1_SY1000_SX...jpg
margartweed-main2.jpg

Kinda funny, but I couldn't find an online pic of the grey herringbone one he wore in "Grand Prix."

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Caught a few minutes of two James Garner movies, "Grand Prix" and "36 Hours," yesterday and he was wearing a different grey herringbone sport coat in each. A quick search told me what I thought, he was a big fan a sport coats and big fan of grey herringbone ones.
View attachment 48786 View attachment 48787 View attachment 48788 View attachment 48789

Kinda funny, but I couldn't find an online pic of the grey herringbone one he wore in "Grand Prix."
Grey Herringbone jackets? Indeed, he wore them so well, Garner stood out in "a league of his own!" I can think of no other who wore thew grey herringbone quite so well. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The other day, I caught five minutes of 1963's "The Prize" where Paul Newman wears this very cool raglan overcoat.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the material? Sometimes I think wool and sometimes some type of raincoat material, especially in the last pic where it is (crazy) wrinkled like some raincoat materials can.

@Matt S your expert opinion is always much appreciated.
MV5BNzFkZjY0ODYtZWYyOS00N2JhLWJiNDAtZTFiNjFlYmQzMDI5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_SX1777_CR...jpg

MV5BNTVkMWZjMDctMGU1OC00YWE4LTlkNjUtMzQ2NWIyYWQ1N2JkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_SX1777_CR...jpg
MV5BYjNiNjQ3ZDUtM2M1OC00NDlkLWJjMjctOGRkODZmYTI4NWVjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTI3MDk3MzQ@._V1_SX1777_CR...jpg

And the blonde who is telling Newman his coat is ridiculously wrinkled is Elke Sommer.

Doctor Damage

Connoisseur
View attachment 48786 View attachment 48789

These two photos (the first and the fourth) are from "Marlowe" which was a great movie and his wardrobe was extremely ivy/trad/etc in that film. Recommended.

Matt S

Connoisseur
The other day, I caught five minutes of 1963's "The Prize" where Paul Newman wears this very cool raglan overcoat.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the material? Sometimes I think wool and sometimes some type of raincoat material, especially in the last pic where it is (crazy) wrinkled like some raincoat materials can.

@Matt S your expert opinion is always much appreciated.
View attachment 49021
View attachment 49022 View attachment 49023
And the blonde who is telling Newman his coat is ridiculously wrinkled is Elke Sommer.
Balmacaans are traditionally made of tweed or cotton gabardine. You could never get tweed to wrinkle like that if you tried, so this is possibly cotton gabardine. Is there a reason in the film why his coat got so wrinkled?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Balmacaans are traditionally made of tweed or cotton gabardine. You could never get tweed to wrinkle like that if you tried, so this is possibly cotton gabardine. Is there a reason in the film why his coat got so wrinkled?
Thank you, that makes sense.

I just happened to see the coat on TCM as I keep it on mute in the background and catch bits and pieces of the movies like I did, yesterday, when this coat popped up.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie proper, so I don't remember why the coat is that wrinkled. Newman's character in the movie is traveling and does get into some chase scenes, etc, but I don't remember if the coat was wrinkled for those reasons.

Thank you again Matt - always appreciate your insight.

Last edited:

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
IMG_5986.JPG

@Matt S this similar-to-Newman's coat (a few posts above) but, obviously, not with raglan sleeves, just popped up in the 1958 movie "The Last Hurrah." Like Newman's, it's hard to tell if the material is Tweed or cotton-gaberdine raincoat, but the wrinkle in the collar tip has me leaning raincoat. Thoughts? Thank you.

Matt S

Connoisseur
View attachment 49218

@Matt S this similar-to-Newman's coat (a few posts above) but, obviously, not with raglan sleeves, just popped up in the 1958 movie "The Last Hurrah." Like Newman's, it's hard to tell if the material is Tweed or cotton-gaberdine raincoat, but the wrinkle in the collar tip has me leaning raincoat. Thoughts? Thank you.
I would agree. You don't see many checked raincoats these days.

drpeter

Watched a bit of Paul Newman recently in "the Drowning Pool" He had some pretty good collar roll going on in this film.

View attachment 50681
I watched the last three-quarters of this film too! It was on the TCM channel.

Newman does sport half-sleeved shirts with ties and jackets in the film. This practice is not very common, although there may have been a time in the fifties or sixties in the US when this was more often seen, or perhaps it was prevalent in warmer parts of the country.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.