Trad question for LongWing, Duke, et. al.

jmorgan32

Suspended
Guys, I am in need of jackets in a big way. ie Fall, spring outerwear. Now, I have thought of the G9 Baracuta, but if you have seen the prices.....my God. 2-3 hundo for a cotton jacket. I like the style, but too much $ plus they are dry clean only garments. (too much cost) As you may agree, with charcoal slacks the tan coat is best, but with khakis (which I wear a lot) I don't think there is enough contrast with the tan jacket so I need the navy too. I just can't justify forking over 400 for 2 cotton jackets.

Question..........What do you think of these "waist length" brown leather jackets? Lots call them bomber jackets, but I don't mean the true bomber style. Just a plain slash pocket brown leather jacket.

For some reason,,,,,,they just don't seem trad to me. It would fit the bill to wear with both grey slacks and khakis. (I am talking out on a weekend with say an oxford very casual with sleeves rolled up and some loafers on.)

What do you think?

jmorgan32

Suspended
quote:Originally posted by jmorgan32

Guys, I am in need of jackets in a big way. ie Fall, spring outerwear. Now, I have thought of the G9 Baracuta, but if you have seen the prices.....my God. 2-3 hundo for a cotton jacket. I like the style, but too much $ plus they are dry clean only garments. (too much cost) As you may agree, with charcoal slacks the tan coat is best, but with khakis (which I wear a lot) I don't think there is enough contrast with the tan jacket so I need the navy too. I just can't justify forking over 400 for 2 cotton jackets.

Question..........What do you think of these "waist length" brown leather jackets? Lots call them bomber jackets, but I don't mean the true bomber style. Just a plain slash pocket brown leather jacket.

For some reason,,,,,,they just don't seem trad to me. It would fit the bill to wear with both grey slacks and khakis. (I am talking out on a weekend with say an oxford very casual with sleeves rolled up and some loafers on.)

What do you think?

PS sorry to a bunch of guys but the subject bar is limited. Rojo, Stephenson, etc etc etc.....lots of you guys know this stuff. eg Ortman.......by the way, talked to O'Connells today (Ethan.) thanks Ortman.............

longwing

Hey J.

Well, I'm not really qualified to answer your question but here are my limited thoughts: Over the years I have bought a few of the lightweight cotton jackets, usually from Brooks Brothers, never a Baracuda. Never heard of the Baracuda until I joined the forum last spring. My favorites have always been red. I think I've always thought of James Dean in Rebel w/o a Cause: very cool in a red jacket. I don't have one now, but since I sorta play some golf, I may get another and it will probably be red and probably not be a Baracuda, but who knows. Starting to grow tired of little golden fleece on my clothes (golden fleece not being very James Dean).

Regarding leather, I've had a few, but I'm never really comfortable in them. So many people wear them around where I live. I'd rather wear tweed. Leather is for shoes, right?

Keith Adams

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
If I remember correctly Barracuda makes a brown suede and / or split cowhide jacket with a zipper front, knit cuffs and suede lined collar...

I think I had one in college - it goes with grey worsted / flannel as well as khaki and denim

K.A. Adams

rojo

I don't know what the unwritten rule is on brown leather "bomber" jackets. Like khaki trousers, the design was inspired by World War II military gear. Certainly a handsome, functional classic. If some people regard it as outside the canon, then it couldn't be too far outside.

I do have one of these jackets, which my father gave me, I suppose because he never wore it. I don't know where he got it. I have rarely worn it myself because I don't feel right in it. On a cold windy day, there's nothing like it, however.

There are probably lower-priced equivalents to the original G9 Baracuta (or watch ebay). Twenty years ago Brooks Brothers sold similar items which it called golf jackets. Another alternative would be a heavy cotton canvas jacket on the model of the L.L. Bean field coat.

Mr. Knightly

My personal fave is a waist-length, linen/cotton jacket. It's a zip up with zip pockets and it's not gathered at the waist like the baracuta. Banana Republic outlet, $35. I also have a Baracuta knockoff from Marshalls, $20. Obviously the quality doesn't compare, but it's a casual, warm weather jacket so I don't really care.

Costly thy habit as thy purse can buy,
But not express'd in fancy; rich, not gaudy;
For the apparel oft proclaims the man.

DukeGrad

jmorgan32

I had given my thoughts about a leather coat a long time ago.
It was a black trench, which I think was a great idea.
The G9 goes close to 400 at Ben Silver.
I would not pay this price.
I had one in the mid 60s that was made in USA that was very cheap.
I like the Bomber jacket.
I have one, have had for over 30 years.
Looks great with jeans, khaki as well.
I think a lot of us can agree, if it looks good on you, and you like it.
Well, wear it.
I think a better buy, than the G9, you get leather, for less money actually.
And a much sharper look.

Have nice day my friend

Jimmy

Horace

quote:Originally posted by jmorgan32

PS sorry to a bunch of guys but the subject bar is limited. Rojo, Stephenson, etc etc etc.....lots of you guys know this stuff. eg Ortman.......by the way, talked to O'Connells today (Ethan.) thanks Ortman.............

G9 is about $200 at O'Connell's isn't it?

Chris H

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've been wearing G9 Baracuta jackets since the 1960s, and have always found them very versatile. They seem to have become much more expensive over the last few years. Orvis make some nice jackets in a very similar style at more reasonable prices. I recently bought an Orvis Suede Bomber jacket and I am very pleased with it.

Are these jackets trad? I don't know. Are they classic? Definitely.

Here's a few links that may be of interest:

https://www.baracuta-g9.com/

I hope this is of some help.
Chris

jmorgan32

Suspended
quote:Originally posted by LongWing

Hey J.

Well, I'm not really qualified to answer your question but here are my limited thoughts: Over the years I have bought a few of the lightweight cotton jackets, usually from Brooks Brothers, never a Baracuda. Never heard of the Baracuda until I joined the forum last spring. My favorites have always been red. I think I've always thought of James Dean in Rebel w/o a Cause: very cool in a red jacket. I don't have one now, but since I sorta play some golf, I may get another and it will probably be red and probably not be a Baracuda, but who knows. Starting to grow tired of little golden fleece on my clothes (golden fleece not being very James Dean).

Regarding leather, I've had a few, but I'm never really comfortable in them. So many people wear them around where I live. I'd rather wear tweed. Leather is for shoes, right?

thanks long..... i "sorta" play golf too. i like your honesty.

jmorgan32

Suspended
THANKS everybody.......i appreciate the feedback. lots of good ideas. i have to agree the G9 has gotten way way out of line with the price......$400 at Ben Silver, $198 at O'Connells. Both too much in my opinion for a cotton jacket..........By the way, who does Silver think they are? double the price for the same coat? hmm. reminds me in a way of Cable Care. nothing like paying $400 for a pair of cotton trousers. (or whatever.)

Thanks again,
Joe

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.