smmrfld

I began shaving with Harry’s system about four years ago and have never been disappointed. Great products, fair price and I don’t have to go up and try to find the exact blades to fit my razor handle.
Agree. Went with Harry's several years ago and have been very happy. No need for any of the ferkokteh overpriced stuff also available.

TKI67

After ruminating on the comment of @fishertw about going with Harry's to avoid the issues of matching cartridge with handles...YES! Although I avoid the issue myself by using DEs, I help my autistic son with shaving and use cartridges. It is absolutely maddening to be in the store trying to guess which of several options will actually fit the razor handle. I have wasted money trying to save money, getting store brand cartridges, only to find they are "close, but no cigar." I have wasted money with a Schick system that has a growing number of refinements under similar names, none of which are interchangeable and all of which attach to their handles very tenuously. I am now deciding if I get him a super mild DE like a Feather and be done with it, convert to Harry's, or continue to fuel the Gillette engine.

poppies

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
After ruminating on the comment of @fishertw about going with Harry's to avoid the issues of matching cartridge with handles...YES! Although I avoid the issue myself by using DEs, I help my autistic son with shaving and use cartridges. It is absolutely maddening to be in the store trying to guess which of several options will actually fit the razor handle. I have wasted money trying to save money, getting store brand cartridges, only to find they are "close, but no cigar." I have wasted money with a Schick system that has a growing number of refinements under similar names, none of which are interchangeable and all of which attach to their handles very tenuously. I am now deciding if I get him a super mild DE like a Feather and be done with it, convert to Harry's, or continue to fuel the Gillette engine.
What a timely comment. I'm a "trad" DE shaver myself, but my autistic son will be shaving soon and I'm not sure that his focus and/or fine motor skills will allow for that option. I'd love to hear what option ends up working best in your family as a reference point.

TKI67

What a timely comment. I'm a "trad" DE shaver myself, but my autistic son will be shaving soon and I'm not sure that his focus and/or fine motor skills will allow for that option. I'd love to hear what option ends up working best in your family as a reference point.
So far the Gillette Fusion and Barbasol have been best, although I may give a brush and soap a try. He likes the Gillette gel or various balm type aftershaves. Motor control issues can include facial twitching, a bad pairing with a DE blade. Even if he holds still, three passes would be a lot for him to handle. He hated electric razors. I am sure the noise was an issue, but he said, "My face is on fire." Best with your shared journey!

Last edited:

The Irishman

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I was going to suggest electric shavers, but I note TKI67's comment's about the burning sensation...! I can see how it could replace one set of problems with another set.

TKI67

Checking back in to report what I have gleaned from a few months on Badger and Blade. They are a fascinating lot, not dissimilar from those you meet here. Most, not all, are collectors and acquirers, spending hundreds on single razors, some owning dozens. They also have vast collections of brushes and soaps and use complex and arcane pre and post shave treatments. Many have literally thousands of blades and use an individual blade only a few times. As regards DE razors they seem to favor vintage and artisan and can get a bit dismissive of mild razors. I did pick up a new brush, a Simpson T2 synthetic, and actually like it better than badger. I rotate them so that they can dry thoroughly, that being recommended treatment. It was about $20. I also got a reviled very mild all stainless steel razor, a Feather AS-D2. I wish I had got it earlier. It is giving me well over a month with 12 cent Crystal blades and may eventually pay for itself. Ha!

drpeter

I hope Badger and Blade don't send a hit man to take me out in the snowy wilds of Wisconsin, but last week, I picked up a Philips Norelco 905 RX electric shaver in a beautiful leather case, with some small brushes, some sort of powder for use while shaving and a power cord -- all for $10. To be quite honest, I was really interested in the lovely burgundy leather bag, and not as much in the razor!

The chap at the local thrift shop, who is my friend and gives me some special deals, told me it had come in with the packaging intact and he had opened it and charged it to make sure it works -- in fact, it had the usual tag he puts on all appliances which states the name of the implement and the word "Works". Instructions, plus a set of small flyers for a Remington shaver were inside the leather bag. The next morning, I plugged it in to charge since it said it needed 8 hours for an initial charge, but presumably my friend had done that because it only took about 45 minutes to charge.

So I tried it since I hadn't yet shaved with my usual razor. It felt great and after a couple of passes over either cheek and the neck region (I wear a goatee), I was done. The skin felt smooth, and there was no irritation at all, which I had expected because of what I had heard. I'm thinking that I will keep this razor handy for when I need a quick shave without fussing with hot water and soap. It will be useful in my travel kit as well.

Last edited:

LabGuy

Starting Member
I have been DE wet shaving now for about 10 years after seeing the price of the multiblade carts rise to ever-changing heights. Now that I spend very little on the blades, I spend a little extra on soaps - good quality shave soaps.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I have been DE wet shaving now for about 10 years after seeing the price of the multiblade carts rise to ever-changing heights. Now that I spend very little on the blades, I spend a little extra on soaps - good quality shave soaps.
About eight years back, I was introduced to Old Post Road Oil Shaving Soap. It is a lot less work than soap discs, brushes, etc and it provides me with a quicker and comparably comfortable shave as does the traditional soap and brush. I have yet to look back, but will occasionally, for nostalgia, will brush up a lather and do it the old way! ;)

drpeter

Harry's has an aloe gel with the perfect fragrance (from my perspective). You rub it on, and wait 15 seconds, then wet your razor and shave. It softens my beard very quickly.

TKI67

Harry's has an aloe gel with the perfect fragrance (from my perspective). You rub it on, and wait 15 seconds, then wet your razor and shave. It softens my beard very quickly.
If you like soft fragrances, Martin de Candre is, in my opinion, the be all and end all of shaving soaps. It veritably explodes with wonderfully slick lather. It is pricey, but I'd estimate three years' use from a single tub/puck. The Fougere smells incredible. I just like starting a shave with warm lather.

drpeter

Yes, it is up there in price. The thing is, I would like to see if I can actually experience the fragrance before laying out that kind of money. I'll see if I can find a shop in Madison that carries the brand.

TKI67

Yes, it is up there in price. The thing is, I would like to see if I can actually experience the fragrance before laying out that kind of money. I'll see if I can find a shop in Madison that carries the brand.
I think West Coast Shaving sells a sampler, too.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.