Trad sighting on Art Of Manliness

raincoat

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I was going to ignore this when I saw the writer described as a "style hobbyist." For whatever reason (idleness?), I did begin reading it. Here's the link. The only reason I'm sharing it (with you who has probably read Flusser) is because in the middle of the article, out of nowhere, the writer mentions the 3/2 roll and posts a picture of himself:

ss3.jpg

Not bad.

He doesn't mention that 3/2 jackets are invariably (unless I'm wrong) undarted. Actually the reference to sack jackets almost seems out of place given how basic the rest of the article is.

Just thought I'd share.

Cardinals5

Honors Member
I was going to ignore this when I saw the writer described as a "style hobbyist." For whatever reason (idleness?), I did begin reading it. Here's the link. The only reason I'm sharing it (with you who has probably read Flusser) is because in the middle of the article, out of nowhere, the writer mentions the 3/2 roll and posts a picture of himself:

ss3.jpg

Not bad.

He doesn't mention that 3/2 jackets are invariably (unless I'm wrong) undarted. Actually the reference to sack jackets almost seems out of place given how basic the rest of the article is.

Just thought I'd share.

Does the image look familar to anyone? I'm almost certain that's Luftvier who occasionally posts in the trad WAYW though he tends to hang out more on the other forum.

Edit: Yep, definitely him - I looked at the Art of Manliness page that's linked and there are other pics with Luftvier's face. He'll be tickled that we came across his posting.

Last edited:

Cardinals5

Honors Member
It just shows how small our little trad world really is - whenever I come across "trad" listed items on ebay I'm almost certain I've seen them before on our thrift exchange or the eBay username is a familiar one. Some, like Ransome and Gwynne (sp?) seem to have adopted "trad" in their listings even though they don't (or don't seem to) participate here. Whenever I search google images for something like "spectator shoes" I'm almost certain to come across images from our What Shoes Are You Wearing Today thread.

Luftvier

Inactive user
I think you've been officially outed as a "style hobbyist." Pray tell, what is a "style hobbyist"?

The owner of the site originally had me as the "resident fashion expert." I thought that was a bit extreme for several reasons. I thought "style hobbyist" more-apt in describing what I am. :teacha:

I like traditional menswear. I read Flusser for fun. I have not published any books.

The articles themselves are quite basic, but I've kept them that way intentionally. Some of the gentleman there price themselves on their cargo shorts, t shirts, and baseball caps and label me a snob when I suggest that it's my opinion that more appropriate dress for adult men does not include most of these things. Hell, I get flack from some for suggesting that it's proper etiquette to REMOVE YOUR HAT INDOORS because it's an outdated rule that serves no purpose. For many, ties are out of the question and should all be burned.

That said, I hope to slowly ramp up into more interesting or complex posts on menswear, but who knows.

Interestingly enough, because of AoM I was recently contacted by the local paper about an article regarding "Retrosexuals." :eek:

I fear how that will turn out, but it should have a nice shot of me in a BB 3/2 sack suit and imperial longwings...

The Rambler

Honors Member
Cool! Not much slips by here, Luftvier. May I point out that that well- fitting hacking jacket, (if that's what it is, I note the boots), is very nicely shaped, darts or not, and therefore not sacklike by the exacting standards of this forum.:icon_smile_big:

Luftvier

Inactive user
It's a BB sack from some years back that I got from rgrossicone here on the forum (NYRanger on SF). I was never one much for exacting standards.

Base in point: I am wearing jeans in that photo.

Shoes are Alden shell PTBs in #8.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange