Tradly Casual Foul Weather Gear...

rip

Elite Member
I'm sorry, I just must disagree. Any departure from forcing the tried and true 100% cotton Burberry trench to do the foul-weather job is just too, too nouveau, too arriviste!

Smudger

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Coat for North Carolina

Barrister,

My wife and I lived in Fayetteville for several years and we vacation in Boone quite often, so we have a bit of experience with North Carolina weather, which, I hope, lends some validity to my remarks. I have had a Barbour Border coat since 1983 and it still is a sturdy stalwart in my wardrobe. However, in North Carolina when the winter temperatures can unexpectedly go above 70 degrees F, it becomes very sweaty as it does not breathe. What I have found to be a good overcoat for North Carolina is a military gortex jacket which will repel water and is more comfortable as it breathes. You can find some excellent jackets from MUSTO or go to an outdoors shop and purchase one as well. A Barbour has that certain Hooray Henry look, but it may not fit the climate of North Carolina as well as other coats.

Rocker

As far as tradlyness goes its realy a nobrainer, you realy have to go with the Barbour. The Bedale and Beufort are essentialy the same jacket the only difference being, the Beufort features a zipperd game pocket in the rear and the Bedale, buttoned double side vents. You might also consider the Border jacket which I beleive is the same weight as the Bedale and Beufort except it is 5 inches longer, which some may prefer. As far as color goes the most classic/traditional is Sage which is by far the most common. You can also get the Beufort/Bedale in dark red, brown, navy, black and mabey a few other colors very rarely.

Isn't the Bedale shorter in body length?

tripreed

Elite Member
Ah Burberry, the 'Chav' icon - LOL

Haha, one of my friends asked me what I thought about Burberry the other day and I had to explain to them what Chavs were and how they had apparently highjacked the Novacheck. Not to say that I wouldn't mind if a Burberry trench magically appeared in my closet...

dpihl

My wife captures the moment... before we were married

cheers.jpg

WOULD ANYBODY CARE FOR A GLASS OF RAIN WATER?

Barrister, It's good to see you posting again. I've been missing your wit and charm, but maybe I've just been looking at the wrong threads.

Wish I could help you, but the rubber foul weather gear I've owned from various uniform supply companies (Wear Guard, etc.) are not exactly very useful as casual wear.

Cheers!

paper clip

Elite Member
Barbour offers sleeve alterations, on waxed cotton garments. For the other jackets (normally sized S.M.L etc.) sleeve alterations are not possible. Cost about $65.

Thanks for that information. I think they have a 'service center' near me in New Hampshire.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange