Men's Clothing Forums banner

Tradly Casual Foul Weather Gear...

6K views 27 replies 17 participants last post by  paper clip 
#1 ·
Gentlemen, my all-purpose foul weather jacket from my college days is no longer serviceable. I've held on to it as long as I could, but alas, the ripstop nylon (think something along the lines of North Face, etc.) has ripped in places, it seems to be losing some of its water repellancy, and it's just time for it to be replaced.

Luckily for me, I have a birthday and Christmas coming up, and a new piece of casual foul weather gear is at the top of my list (I already have the standard tan, single breasted raincoat for wear with a suit, etc.). I'm looking for something I can wear with khakis, jeans (on the very few occasions when I wear them), cords, and maybe even flannels occasionally. I'd prefer something that gives me the option of a zip-in/out liner for cooler weather and something that is very water/wind resistant (I'm in NC, so it doesn't get all that cold for all that long in the winter, but it does get cool and we have our share of nasty, freezing-rain type days in January and February). And, of course, I want it to fit nicely into my growing trad wardrobe. I'd like to avoid another brightly colored North Face, Columbia, LL Bean, etc. number.

My first thought was, of course, a Barbour, but I'm not that familiar with their product range and didn't know which models would best fit my needs (I read a lot of good stuff on this board about the Beafort, and also occasionally the Bedale. Any model or color suggestions?). I also didn't know what I should expect to spend on such an item (it looks like somewhere between $250-$350 is the going rate) and if there were particular merchants from whom I could get a better deal.

Sorry to ramble on. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday evening. Hmmm, come to think of it, those old Bean Boots are looking like they may need replacing as well. Well, now I know what #2 on my list will be!
Regards,
B

See less See more
#4 ·
I don't think you can go wrong with the Barbour Beaufort in green. Find a local store that carries them, if possible, so you can examine one for yourself and find out what size you need.

#5 ·
Intersting...

I have in its LL Bean incarnation of ten years ago. Still going strong.
Patrick, do you know if Bean still makes such an item? A quick browse through their website seems to indicate that they do not.

Thanks,
B

#6 ·
Sizing...

As far as Barbour's go, how does their sizing work? Is it a XL, L, M, or 48R, 46L, type of thing or is it some type of weird EU metric stuff?
Thanks again for all the advice.

#11 ·
The difference between the Beaufort and the Bedale stated above are correct, I would add that you may consider the Bedale slightly dressier/more suited to the city.

Also, I have the Filson Oil Cloth Weekender Coat, model 1442N, I believe, and love it. However, I also hunt some and actually use the game pocket. It is a little bit more "rugged" looking in my opinion, and I'm hoping to pick up a Bedale to wear to work and the Filson on the weekends. Some may think this makes me crazy. In any case, I can't say enough about the Filson and their service (I used to work for a retailer for both Filson and Barbour).

One final note regarding sizing: Barbour states that their coats are cut so that if you order your regular suit size it will fit fine over that suit. This works for some and others find this a bit snug and order one size up.

#12 ·
I love the look and the tradition of Barbour jackets, but they do not seem to offer them in talls. I can't stand outerwear in which the sleeves are too short.

I have two field coats from LE overstocks. One khaki and one navy, which I just got with the removable vest-thingy they offered last year. I think each coat was $30.

#13 ·
You can check my thread on country Trad to see the Beaufort I got a few weeks back from here: 35% off list price which is quite the deal.
Wow...it is, indeed. No tax (in VA, anyway) and free shipping, too. That's the cheapest I've ever seen them. Good find!

#14 ·
The Bedale and Beufort are essentialy the same jacket the only difference being, the Beufort features a zipperd game pocket in the rear and the Bedale, buttoned double side vents.
Not entirely true. The Bedale is shorter than the Beaufort. While the Beaufort hits, I believe, around mid-thigh, the Bedale is more suit-jacket length. This is ideal if you are short, like me, so that the jacket does not appear to be disproportionally large.

As far as Barbour's go, how does their sizing work? Is it a XL, L, M, or 48R, 46L, type of thing or is it some type of weird EU metric stuff?
Thanks again for all the advice.
The sizing is basically just your chest size, and it seems be pretty close to jacket sizes (i.e.-if you wear a 42 in a suit jacket, get a 42 Barbour).

You can find some on Sierra Trading Post for good prices, or you can always go the Ebay route (this is how I got my Bedale), though it can sometimes be more difficult to sellers that are in the US (which I think could keep things from becoming more complicated than the ought to be). There are other websites that people on here have recommended.

In terms of color, green is always a classic, but I do think that the brown looks good. See this old thread about one of the Trad forum's members to check one out "in action."

#20 ·
I love the look and the tradition of Barbour jackets, but they do not seem to offer them in talls. I can't stand outerwear in which the sleeves are too short.

I have two field coats from LE overstocks. One khaki and one navy, which I just got with the removable vest-thingy they offered last year. I think each coat was $30.
Barbour offers sleeve alterations, on waxed cotton garments. For the other jackets (normally sized S.M.L etc.) sleeve alterations are not possible. Cost about $65.

#21 ·
I'm sorry, I just must disagree. Any departure from forcing the tried and true 100% cotton Burberry trench to do the foul-weather job is just too, too nouveau, too arriviste!

#22 ·
Coat for North Carolina

Barrister,

My wife and I lived in Fayetteville for several years and we vacation in Boone quite often, so we have a bit of experience with North Carolina weather, which, I hope, lends some validity to my remarks. I have had a Barbour Border coat since 1983 and it still is a sturdy stalwart in my wardrobe. However, in North Carolina when the winter temperatures can unexpectedly go above 70 degrees F, it becomes very sweaty as it does not breathe. What I have found to be a good overcoat for North Carolina is a military gortex jacket which will repel water and is more comfortable as it breathes. You can find some excellent jackets from MUSTO or go to an outdoors shop and purchase one as well. A Barbour has that certain Hooray Henry look, but it may not fit the climate of North Carolina as well as other coats.

#24 ·
As far as tradlyness goes its realy a nobrainer, you realy have to go with the Barbour. The Bedale and Beufort are essentialy the same jacket the only difference being, the Beufort features a zipperd game pocket in the rear and the Bedale, buttoned double side vents. You might also consider the Border jacket which I beleive is the same weight as the Bedale and Beufort except it is 5 inches longer, which some may prefer. As far as color goes the most classic/traditional is Sage which is by far the most common. You can also get the Beufort/Bedale in dark red, brown, navy, black and mabey a few other colors very rarely.
Isn't the Bedale shorter in body length?

#25 ·
Ah Burberry, the 'Chav' icon - LOL
Haha, one of my friends asked me what I thought about Burberry the other day and I had to explain to them what Chavs were and how they had apparently highjacked the Novacheck. Not to say that I wouldn't mind if a Burberry trench magically appeared in my closet...

#26 ·
My wife captures the moment... before we were married

WOULD ANYBODY CARE FOR A GLASS OF RAIN WATER?

Barrister, It's good to see you posting again. I've been missing your wit and charm, but maybe I've just been looking at the wrong threads.

Wish I could help you, but the rubber foul weather gear I've owned from various uniform supply companies (Wear Guard, etc.) are not exactly very useful as casual wear.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.