Trip to Chipp/Winston Tailors

katch

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have been lusting after some grenadine ties I've seen on this site (enablers..) and decided to stop in at Winston Tailors this morning to check out the selection. I called yesterday and spoke to Paul Winston, the owner of the shop, who told me all the colors are in stock except for "blue", not to be confused with "navy". I have been concidering Kent Wang's grenadines, but didn't want such a loose weave (I believe he only stocks grenadine grossa) for some staple colors. I've been checking out Sam Hober's website as well, but I am not a candidate for bespoke ties and didn't want to a) potentially wait 3 weeks and b) get hit with unknown customs charges + expensive shipping. Chipp's ties seemed to be close to what I wanted except he makes 3.25" instead of 3.5", he's in NYC, no waiting and no shipping.

Boy am I impressed. I've never handled a grenadine and Paul's ties have amazing heft to them. I picked up 1 in navy and 1 in black and realized I really wanted to walk out of there with a wine, chocolate brown, and a forest green as well!

Paul and I spoke a bunch about things including how his ancient madder ties are from heavier silk than Drake's yet they cost 1/3 the price, how he (used to) clothe CEOs and specifically about 1 CEO who loved to hang with him and his dad and talk about clothes.

I have a Chipp sport coat that i recently acquired on ebay NWT and I told him I would bring it to him to have altered. I look forward to my return and I may have to pick up 1 (...or 2) more ties.

El_Abogado

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Paul is a wonderful guy with great stories about the golden years. And his grenadines are great ties. I have been meaning to go up and see him for some more and to have another suit made too.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange