Woofa

So I picked up this lot on an online estate sale. I knew one was a Brigg and one was an older Burberry and figured these would be nice for me and my wife. Hoping to find some info on them and how to care for them. First one is a Swaine Adeney Brigg that I plan to keep.
Second looks like an older women’s Burberry.
Cane is unknown.
Figure there must be a few collectors here.
CF72927B-DF0A-4D5E-B906-4CEF15E47838.jpeg
7F09E478-7D45-48E4-989F-ECDAB2EE7886.jpeg
8027FECA-027A-4CAE-A100-5223D1D2DECB.jpeg
23C218AA-969F-4DA4-B5C2-70EF4FB9EFB3.jpeg
5290F895-9996-46C4-AC53-4C7FCBFC86D4.jpeg
3289EACA-E2C6-42A8-B44E-96B648230C2C.jpeg

Any info is appreciated.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
I use a cane, but mine are primarily newer, and functional, though I've always sought out ones I've thought attractive. Began collecting them about 40 years ago, and as my arthritis advanced, began to use one regularly 10 or 12 years ago. But I'm not a true collector in the sense of your inquiry.

What I think is likely regarding this stick is that it is most likely older,. If the stick seems particularly short, it might also be an indication of age, as older sticks tend to be shorter. And it looks as if it was fashioned from a single wand of wood, very possibly coppice grown -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coppicing

1563940394599.png

Coppice grown sticks are in effect an entire immature tree trunk and are strong for their thickness. Yours has been debarked, and the handle formed using steam, varnished and possibly stained, but is otherwise an organic whole. Don't know the wood. I like the ornamental metal band which is in keeping with and enhances the aesthetic of the stick. The aggressive metal ferrule makes it obviously limited to outdoor use. In addition to marking any hard surface indoors, you's also go for a ride.

Judging by the workmanship, I would expect it was made either by an individual craftsman who made such for sale, or a small workshop engaged in the same thing. Could well be from the British Isles.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
My friend, I always look forward to your postings, as they never fail to engage my mind and exercise my imagination. I am particularly struck by your in depth knowledge of canes/walking sticks in the post above. Thank you for sharing that information with us! ;)

Flanderian

Connoisseur
^^
My friend, I always look forward to your postings, as they never fail to engage my mind and exercise my imagination. I am particularly struck by your in depth knowledge of canes/walking sticks in the post above. Thank you for sharing that information with us! ;)
Thank you, that's very flattering!

But there are true collectors who would be able to tell you the classification of the stick, possibly the specific maker and the history of same who would be able to provide a lot more information than just the general sort I provided. I must confess when I first heard of coppice grown sticks, I was intrigued by what I found. I find it to be a truly cool practice from a variety of perspectives, including the historical.

Woofa

Thank you Flanderian for that information. As always you are a wealth of information and so open to sharing. I will continue to research and let you know if I find anything further.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.