Men's Clothing Forums banner

Ugliest Sport Coat Ever?

4K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  pkincy 
#1 ·
Is the coat pictured in this link the ugliest you have ever seen? If not it's surely in contention.

I'm vaguely familiar with these Lilly Pulitzers from the 1960's, 1970's but I don't recall anyone wearing them. Amazingly, I've found another one(which I believe was the subject of a previous AAAC post) and it sold for $510. That kind of money will easily buy a Brioni on Ebay. What am I missing in these Pulitzers that the buyer of this coat saw?

#4 ·
What is scary is that someone thought that pattern was nice enough to make a jacket from it. Even more scary was a buyer for a store, decided to have their store sell it. Bad taste has no boundaries.

I would have liked to been there the first time the previous owner wore that jacket. I'm assuming his friends had quite a laugh.

#6 ·
Well, those jackets make me feel a little bit better about owning this:

To answer your questions:

1) A Goodwill in Medina, Ohio. It fit me okay and cost about $3.

2) In my high school, early college days, I wore it to concerts and such. People at these concerts, who were likely under the influence of illegal pharmaceuticals, LOVED that jacket. Additionally, at one concert, I got legendary surf guitarist Dick Dale (he played Miserlou, the song that appears at the beginning of Pulp Fiction) to sign the inside of that jacket.

I haven't worn it out in several years. I don't think I can part with it, though. Should I get the guts and have the proper situation, I'd probably wear it with a white OCBD, burgundy knit tie, white cotton pocket square, and very light colored pants.

#9 ·
This is the sort of thing that can happen when designers stay up late watching reruns of Hitchock's "The Birds," and consuming adult beverages/recreational pharmacueticals.

Very sad,

alaric

#10 ·
alaric said:
This is the sort of thing that can happen when designers stay up late watching reruns of Hitchock's "The Birds," and consuming adult beverages/recreational pharmacueticals.

Very sad,

alaric
Judging from the approximate age of my jacket (and those pictured above), they were meant for that era.

Please note, when I said I'd wear it for an "appropriate occasion," I mean "most likely never." (Or perhaps to irritate my girlfriend.)

#11 ·
DonV said:
Well, those jackets make me feel a little bit better about owning this:

To answer your questions:

1) A Goodwill in Medina, Ohio. It fit me okay and cost about $3.

2) In my high school, early college days, I wore it to concerts and such. People at these concerts, who were likely under the influence of illegal pharmaceuticals, LOVED that jacket. Additionally, at one concert, I got legendary surf guitarist Dick Dale (he played Miserlou, the song that appears at the beginning of Pulp Fiction) to sign the inside of that jacket.

I haven't worn it out in several years. I don't think I can part with it, though. Should I get the guts and have the proper situation, I'd probably wear it with a white OCBD, burgundy knit tie, white cotton pocket square, and very light colored pants.
Yes, I think your coat compares favorably to the 2 Pulitzers, and I'm impressed that you bought it in a Thrift Shop for $3.00 versus the $510.00 paid for the Pullitzer on Ebay.

#12 ·
Wow, a lot of very sensitive eyes here! Lily Pulitzer was certainly one of the better parts of the trad legacy (past tense intended). I don't have any Pulitzer jackets, though I do have a couple of jackets made in England with a similar sort of fabric sourced in Bermuda. What would you wear to the country club on the weekend with the crab embroidered corduroys? Surely not a Brioni.
Don't go too far down the sterile path of good taste.

#13 ·
I suppose whoever paid $510 for that jacket has a pretty good idea of with what they'd wear it, and I would be interested in seeing that outfit. Mine was posted as a joke, mainly, but the ones in the original post have patterns that could be worked into a decent outfit (conceivably, anyway, even if it's not something I'd wear). I'm not so sure about paying that much for a jacket that old, but perhaps it's a sentimental thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.