SG_67

Connoisseur
Club Monaco underrated? It's owned by RL. Over priced trendy clothes. I'm not really sure how that figures.

My short list

1) Kamakura shirts - while not necessarily overlooked here, a great product at an even better price

2) Drakes - Some of the nicest ties I've seen and often available for $50-60 during the Barney's semi annual sale (and I' sure on sale elsewhere)

orange fury

Connoisseur
Club Monaco underrated? It's owned by RL. Over priced trendy clothes. I'm not really sure how that figures.

My short list

1) Kamakura shirts - while not necessarily overlooked here, a great product at an even better price

2) Drakes - Some of the nicest ties I've seen and often available for $50-60 during the Barney's semi annual sale (and I' sure on sale elsewhere)
+1 on Drakes- I have several, but my go-to for more dressed up occasions is a burgundy pindot. It ties a perfect knot every time.

Mine are companies I regularly preach about on here:

Beau Ties Ltd for bow ties- great quality, a dizzying array of patterns, made in America, and relatively inexpensive. I have more bow ties than I care to admit to, but these are far and away my favorites

Belted Cow for surcingles- Leatherman/ElizaB is the heavyweight in forums when it comes to surcingle recommendations, but I'm a big fan of Belted Cow. Good patterns, solid construction, made in Maine, and regularly available on LL Bean's website (if you have gift cards you're trying to use)

Polo Ralph Lauren for polos- I know, it's a major brand, but I see people recommend other polo shirt brands on here so often that I feel like I need to throw in a plug for Uncle Ralph. I've been wearing the PRL pique polos since college and have never had one give out or fade on me. Most people over look them for niche brands (or Brooks, at double the price), but for$30 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx, i don't think they can be beat.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Since we are on the fashion not Trad side of the house, I'll mentioned Everlane.

They do modern, updated versions of classic clothing that offer good value. I own several of their shirts, a raincoat and a few other items and think they are all fairly priced, good clothes - not steals, but fairly priced (what we all say we want).

It's not the best clothing store, but offers solid value, but almost never gets a mention here.

JohnAAG

More on the fashion side: Massimo Dutti (when on sale), Esprit, and Mango. One brand I really like: Vendoniere out of Ireland. I bought a waxed jacket from them; great value for the money and excellent customer service.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Bottega Veneta: Definitely in the fashion world - hence, very expensive and a lot of crazy stuff that I have no idea who buys it - but they have, especially in some of their shoes, a very classic echo in an updated way.

12345Michael54321

American Optical.

Because they're not part of the Luxottica group, they don't get nearly the attention they deserve. And because they don't sell for $400+ per pair, they're sometimes dismissed as not being "serious" sunglasses.

They are, however, utterly first rate. And were good enough for Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, along with many other astronauts and military pilots.

Below: Astronauts Pete Conrad (3rd man to walk on the moon) and Gordon Cooper (one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts), wearing their AO sunglasses. Conrad and Cooper were the flight crew for the Gemini 5 mission.

CLTesquire

My short list

I'm glad you mentioned Drake's and Barney's because they had a couple slubby silk ties that I really liked but didn't want to pay full price for. They are actually have a 40% off sale right now and low and behold both ties were on sale and it appears that I got the last one of each. Hopefully their inventory was correct and they actually had the ones I purchased.

To me, it seems like the selection of Drake's ties are pretty limited once they get to $50-$60 but the ties are still a value at anything less than $100-$125. They're really nice ties.

kendallr88

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think the chinos and button down shirts from Kirkland (Costco) are great in terms of quality and value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SG_67

Connoisseur
Bottega Veneta: Definitely in the fashion world - hence, very expensive and a lot of crazy stuff that I have no idea who buys it - but they have, especially in some of their shoes, a very classic echo in an updated way.
Their leather is actually quite good quality but yes, definitely on the fashion side and very expensive.

wmilas

I love my AO's Great call on the sunglasses. After being dissatisfied with a Raybans all my life, I finally did the research and bought the sunglasses that Raybans were copying. No way I'm ever going back.

My over looked suggestion

Kent Wang Polos Best Polos for the money and fit I could find (assuming you have an athletic build). Real collar that doesn't droop. Great color selection. Fast Shipping. Take his suggestion to size up seriously. No vanity sizing here.

Last edited:

LookinSharp24

+1 on Drakes- I have several, but my go-to for more dressed up occasions is a burgundy pindot. It ties a perfect knot every time.

Mine are companies I regularly preach about on here:

Beau Ties Ltd for bow ties- great quality, a dizzying array of patterns, made in America, and relatively inexpensive. I have more bow ties than I care to admit to, but these are far and away my favorites

Belted Cow for surcingles- Leatherman/ElizaB is the heavyweight in forums when it comes to surcingle recommendations, but I'm a big fan of Belted Cow. Good patterns, solid construction, made in Maine, and regularly available on LL Bean's website (if you have gift cards you're trying to use)

Polo Ralph Lauren for polos- I know, it's a major brand, but I see people recommend other polo shirt brands on here so often that I feel like I need to throw in a plug for Uncle Ralph. I've been wearing the PRL pique polos since college and have never had one give out or fade on me. Most people over look them for niche brands (or Brooks, at double the price), but for$30 at Marshalls/TJ Maxx, i don't think they can be beat.
Which PRL Polos? I tried on a Custom Fit that was laughably tight on my arms.

orange fury

Connoisseur
Which PRL Polos? I tried on a Custom Fit that was laughably tight on my arms.
Custom or Classic, either one- but the pique cotton specifically. Custom works better for me, but I wear and like both.

the ones that didn't work for me long term were the Pima cotton ones- though soft initially, they faded, pilled and stretched out after a year or two. I had several in college, but ended up sticking with the pique.

Also, if you can find them on sale, I think RLPL polos are fantastic. I would never pay anywhere close to retail for them, but at $40/apiece (again, Marshall's), mine are great. Those seem to fall in between custom and classic in terms of fit though.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Their leather is actually quite good quality but yes, definitely on the fashion side and very expensive.
I live near Madison Avenue on the Upper East Side so I walk buy these crazy fashion brands all the time and most have stuff that just seems out there style-wise for me. But while Bottega Veneta will have some crazy out there stuff, they also seem to also have some very '30s / '40s inspired items. I've almost gone in once or twice to look at a pair of shoes they have in the window - and then I remind myself that I still have to self-fund my retirement.

LookinSharp24

American Optical.

Because they're not part of the Luxottica group, they don't get nearly the attention they deserve. And because they don't sell for $400+ per pair, they're sometimes dismissed as not being "serious" sunglasses.

They are, however, utterly first rate. And were good enough for Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin, along with many other astronauts and military pilots.

Below: Astronauts Pete Conrad (3rd man to walk on the moon) and Gordon Cooper (one of the original Mercury 7 astronauts), wearing their AO sunglasses. Conrad and Cooper were the flight crew for the Gemini 5 mission.

I love my AO's Great call on the sunglasses. After being dissatisfied with a Raybans all my life, I finally did the research and bought the sunglasses that Raybans were copying. No way I'm ever going back.

My over looked suggestion

Kent Wang Polos Best Polos for the money and fit I could find (assuming you have an athletic build). Real collar that doesn't droop. Great color selection. Fast Shipping. Take his suggestion to size up seriously. No vanity sizing here.
Are you both talking about the classic, glass lens aviators?

Not only did one of my nosepads completely snap off, on another pair one of the lenses fell out.

They're also heavy and painful to wear.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange