Fred G. Unn

I don't understand the premise of this thread at all. Mall brands like Club Monaco, Massimo Dutti, and Polo can be underrated, but they certainly can't be overlooked. Bottega Veneta can be overlooked due to exclusivity and availability, but it can't be considered underrated as it's one of the premiere makers of leather goods with a price tag befitting that designation as well.

Drake's, Kamakura, Everlane, and Hober all sound like good fits to underrated and overlooked. I'll add -

Vass shoes: Completely handwelted and handmade, and very reasonably priced compared to the competition when purchased direct.
Chester Jefferies gloves: Bespoke gloves for less than higher end dept store prices.
Equus Belts: Basically same as above, custom made belts at a very reasonable price.
E. Marinella, E&G Cappelli, Bigi, and Breuer ties: All fantastic quality, not well-known at all outside menswear circles, and all available at serious discounts if you know where to look.

Last edited:

CLTesquire

I don't understand the premise of this thread at all. Mall brands like Club Monaco, Massimo Dutti, and Polo can be underrated, but they certainly can't be overlooked. Bottega Veneta can be overlooked due to exclusivity and availability, but it can't be considered underrated as it's one of the premiere makers of leather goods with a price tag befitting that designation as well.

Drake's, Kamakura, Everlane, and Hober all sound like good fits to underrated and overlooked. I'll add -

Vass shoes: Completely handwelted and handmade, and very reasonably priced compared to the competition when purchased direct.
Chester Jefferies gloves: Bespoke gloves for less than higher end dept store prices.
Equus Belts: Basically same as above, custom made belts at a very reasonable price.
E. Marinella, E&G Cappelli, Bigi, and Breuer ties: All fantastic quality, not well-known at all outside menswear circles, and all available at serious discounts if you know where to look.
So where does one look for Breuer ties at a serious discount? They're occasionally 20% off at Supply and Advise but always full price at my local shop. They're nice ties.

Speaking of nice ties, I'll always have a special place in my heart for Sam Hober ties. Everyone needs a grenadine from Sam Hober at some point. Unfortunately they're a bit light on repp stripes these days so I picked up a few by Robert Jensen, which seem pretty decently made. If you want something really obscure though, try Yellow Hook Neckties. I've picked up some fantastic ties by Yellow Hook this year. All six-fold and all made in NYC.

Also, Enzo Bonafe. Great shoes.

Most of my experience is with ties. So, I will stick with them in my analysis.

Underrated: Nicky Milano, Breuer, Beau Ties, and definitely JZ Richards

Overrated: Charvet, Salvatore Ferragamo, and definitely Hermes

Fred G. Unn

So where does one look for Breuer ties at a serious discount? They're occasionally 20% off at Supply and Advise but always full price at my local shop. They're nice ties.
If you have a NM Last Call near you that gets mainline Bergdorf stuff, you can find them cheap there. The Philadelphia Mills (used to be Franklin Mills) location always has some, and as Breuer isn't a brand that is on the radar of much of their clientele, I've gotten a bunch for $40 or so once they hit the clearance rack.

peterc

Club Monaco underrated? It's owned by RL. Over priced trendy clothes. I'm not really sure how that figures.

My short list

1) Kamakura shirts - while not necessarily overlooked here, a great product at an even better price

2) Drakes - Some of the nicest ties I've seen and often available for $50-60 during the Barney's semi annual sale (and I' sure on sale elsewhere)
Totally agree as to both. High on my list. I just wish K. had not removed the pocket on their non button down dress shirts. Still, pocket IS present on their b.d.'s and their product is A1. Same for Drakes - just bought another one at Barneys this w/e.

peterc

Bottega Veneta: Definitely in the fashion world - hence, very expensive and a lot of crazy stuff that I have no idea who buys it - but they have, especially in some of their shoes, a very classic echo in an updated way.
Agreed. They did a beautiful forward pleated trousers a few years ago, but it was $800+, so I passed.

Last edited:

peterc

I like Breuer shirts too. Classic fit. Pocket. Broadcloth or Poplin. This combination seems not to exist anymore. Expensive here in USA, $265.00 at Saks and rarely on sale. No individual sleeve lengths either and I have to buy an 18" neck (which they do make) rather than my customary 17.5. Still, aside from Ike Behar and Gitman, which do come in individual sleeve lengths (but no white or ivory broadcloth products), Breuer is my favorite shirt out there.

Alico hiking boots--especially the welted models (Tahoe, Summit, Guide, etc.). Made in Italy and available on STP when they have a big sale for as low as $125 at 30% off.

I bought some Samuelsohn ties at Nerstrom Rack for $15. Made in Italy as well.

OP: What brands would you say are overlooked and underrated?

Howard: Izod and Polo

Me: Please explain how you consider Polo to be an overlooked brand.
Why sweat it?

I have to represent hometown (well, home state) hero Edward Armah. Great pocket squares, very traditional, though his line in bowties is not to my taste.

Whoever said Paraboot is on the right track. They make some models that are just elegant, well-made shoes, and some which are totally unique and couldn't be anybody else's product.

scooby9

Starting Member
Finally ordered two OCBD's (navy and white) from Kamakura's New Vintage Ivy collection. I am super happy with the shirts as they fit really nicely and are very good quality for a sub $100 shirt.

I have also been really happy with Corridor shirts. I really love the fabrics that Dan picks out for his collections. The three panel design is not everyone's cup of tea but the shirts fit me like a glove. The shirts are all made in NYC and they are currently having a 30% off memorial day sale. As such, I ordered three more shirts including the light blue OCBD. Really different styling on this one but thought I'd give it a try.

Last edited:

peterc

Re: Everlane, I did not notice a men's raincoat on their site. Did I miss it? I like their products based on what I have seen, so, any help on a raincoat would be appreciated.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Re: Everlane, I did not notice a men's raincoat on their site. Did I miss it? I like their products based on what I have seen, so, any help on a raincoat would be appreciated.
Peterc, my apologies, I was sloppy in my words as I bought an anorak not a raincoat from Everlane. IMHO, it's more of a hybrid as it is more refined than what I tend to think of as an anorak, but not long or refined enough to be a true raincoat.

Anyway - this is the coat I bought: https://www.everlane.com/collections/mens-outerwear/products/mens-anorak-stone

My only complaint with it is it has no inside pockets and the two outside pockets - even with the snap they have - don't close well, so small items can fall out.

Otherwise, I really like it. That said, I want to buy a real sailing / storm jacket like this:

https://survivalon-llc.com/multi-pocket-travel-jacket/

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange