tew

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Can this combination work? I tried it this morning, and maybe I was just under-caffeinated, but the stripes running in different directions made my eyes hurt. Does anyone have a picture of this looking good?

wnh

Elite Member
Like any pattern combination, just make sure they're different in scale. A u-stripe would probably work best with a thick block-stripe tie.

ASF

I love this look. I'll wear a red, blue, yellow or pink U-Stripe with a blazer or charcoal suit. As Sarte noted, it is a time honored combination. I'll carry it a step further and say there is a very subtle GTH message/look with this pairing.

asf

Untilted

Honors Member
i wear candy stripe shirts with stripe rep ties all the time. looks great.

this dialogue is from the movie 25th Hour:

Frank Slaughtery: You know, you're wearing a striped shirt with a striped tie, you know that, right?
Phelan: Yeah, I do it for the ladies.
Frank Slaughtery: Oh - the ladies ever tell you that you look like a f****** optical illusion?

Always cracks me up.

ksinc

Connoisseur
I also wear the A&S with Uni-s. I love Mini#1's, but I find the stripes are a little too "matchy" with Uni-s for me. The #2 looks fantastic!

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Most stripes would work on a University Stripe shirt, unless the stripes are the same size.

I see no GTH in this at all. (I've never understood the GTH thing anyway. If you really need to say GTH through your clothing, you seem awfully repressed, at least to me. If I want to wear something wild, I'll wear it in an appropriate situation. I have no problem wearing a Hawaiian shirt on a summer casual outing.)

Quay

Absolutely this will work and work splendidly. My favorite shirt/tie combination behind OCBD university stripes with a pin dot tie.

Cordially,
Adrian Quay

gar1013

I was JUST about to ask the same question.

That being said, what about if you throw some suspenders in the mix and THEY are striped too? (vertically, of course)

Northeastern

It's a fine look. I don't think you start to get into the "optical illusion" type of situation unless you're wearing a striped or plaid suit with a uni stripe shirt and rep tie. At that point you're on the border of Magic Eye type action.

ASF

Most stripes would work on a University Stripe shirt, unless the stripes are the same size.

I see no GTH in this at all. (I've never understood the GTH thing anyway. If you really need to say GTH through your clothing, you seem awfully repressed, at least to me. If I want to wear something wild, I'll wear it in an appropriate situation. I have no problem wearing a Hawaiian shirt on a summer casual outing.)

Sorry if I wrinkled your trad sensibilities with my statement, that wasn't my intent. The reason I say there is a hint of GTH in the look is, it's a bit on the preppy side and those not attuned to trad or preppy dress might wince. Some might argue it's a bit casual for true work dress. I know when I wear a charcoal suit with blue u-stripe BD and my ben Silver navy/saffron tie, many look twice.

Just a thought...

asf

tintin

University OCBD and Repp tie is "Mixing Stripes 101."

When you're comfortable with this, you can knock 'em cold in the loop (you are from Chicago aren't you?) with a narrow striped tie on a butcher stripe (wider stripes) shirt and finally go hog wild with a English Striped shirt (Turnbull, H&H, New & Lingwood) and authentic regimental or a Richard James stripe tie.

Throw a chalk stripe DB suit over that and an attractive woman in PJ Clarks will ask you if you're from Europe. How are you with accents?

www.thetrad.blogspot.com

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.