Upon Request: A Plethora of Shirts

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Member Charles Dana requested to see more of these. So I'll offer a few for any who might enjoy them for their inspirational, or instructive value. They're French bespoke.

Linen chambray, soft collar -

DL01.jpg

Bold check, BD -

DL02.jpg

Long point collar -

DL03.jpg

Spring pastel check -

DL04.jpg

Charles Dana

Honors Member
Bitteschön.

The Carpenters! I love them!

In the 1960s and 70s, the Carpenters and I lived in the same Los Angeles suburb at the same time—Downey. (We went to different high schools, however, and I did not know them personally.)

Concerning “We’ve Only Just Begun”—

About 1971, when Richard and Karen started making serious money, they invested some of it in Downey real estate. For example, they bought two apartment buildings just down the street from my orthodontist’s office. They gave each building a name: one they called “Close to You;” the other, “Only Just Begun.”

The apartment buildings are still standing and still have the names that Richard and Karen gave them.

Now for the musical flip side—

James Hetfield of Metallica also lived in Downey. He went to the same high school as Richard and Karen (not at the same time). I didn’t know James, either.

So The Carpenters and Metallica have that connection. How ‘bout them apples?

Ten years ago some friends of mine sold their house in Marin County, just north of San Francisco. The buyers? Mr. and Mrs. James Hetfield.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
The Carpenters! I love them!

In the 1960s and 70s, the Carpenters and I lived in the same Los Angeles suburb at the same time—Downey. (We went to different high schools, however, and I did not know them personally.)

Concerning “We’ve Only Just Begun”—

About 1971, when Richard and Karen started making serious money, they invested some of it in Downey real estate. For example, they bought two apartment buildings just down the street from my orthodontist’s office. They gave each building a name: one they called “Close to You;” the other, “Only Just Begun.”

The apartment buildings are still standing and still have the names that Richard and Karen gave them.

Now for the musical flip side—

James Hetfield of Metallica also lived in Downey. He went to the same high school as Richard and Karen (not at the same time). I didn’t know James, either.

So The Carpenters and Metallica have that connection. How ‘bout them apples?

Ten years ago some friends of mine sold their house in Marin County, just north of San Francisco. The buyers? Mr. and Mrs. James Hetfield.

Remarkable coincidences!

Though I didn't pay enough attention to their music at the time, I'm still touched and saddened by Karen's personal tragedy and passing. She still seems so very vulnerable many years later in film clips.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Lovely navy double stripe with white tab collar -

DL1.jpg

Linen shirt with convertible collar -

DL2.jpg

Double white stripe on blue body with double button higher collar band on spread collar -

DL3.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
DL bespoke of cotton twill with grey MOP buttons. Note flexibility of house style to incorporate placket.

DL01.jpg

Who says a white shirt is boring!? A lot going on here: beautiful cotton satin, longer point, flexible spread collar with a higher neckband. I would once have loved such a shirt.

DL02.jpg

Summer linen shirt with camp collar.

DL03.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Light blue summer weight cloth in sporty check -

DL01.jpg

High count, very fine end-on-end. The darker blue and white of less fine yarn, once a staple of men's shirts, has largely disappeared from RTW. Pitty. Handsome and useful -

DL02.jpg

Honey comb white shirt is described as dobby woven -

DL03.jpg

All shirts feature handsomely cut full spread collar and placket-less (French) front.

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Shirt of Sea Island Cotton chambray -

DL01.jpg

Stripe of extra fine high count poplin -

DL02.jpg

Long point, soft collar shirt. Coop, where are you when we need you most!? -

DL03.jpg

Flanderian

Connoisseur
Cotton flannel BD. Would love this shirt with a chestnut brown Harris Tweed Herringbone, and the right wool challis tie.

DL01.jpg

Seersucker camp collar shirt.

DL02.jpg

Unusual chevron weave shirt. Text describes it as herringbone, but if so, it's not one with which I'm familiar. Nor do I know a different name for this fabric.

DL03.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.