Vacation, economy shopping and a coconut[image heavy 56k goes to men's wearhouse]

Mr. Golem

This past week my family(me with them) went to Pennsylvania to visit my grandparents and see some old friends who still live in that town(Bethlehem). Aside from seeing everyone and all the happy family jazz this would mean that I'd get to go shopping and go to New York, see a show.

Another reason why we went that week was because that was the week of Musikfest(some of you may know what that is). We had a couple of fun days there. I spent quite some time at the Vespa booth talking to a guy who was volunteering there because he rides one. I want one, except my girlfriend said she would kill me if the Vespa didn't kill me first.

The Pina Colada was good with cheap refills and you get a coconut(i brought it home)

The first day we also witnessed a japanese tea ceremony. Bethlehem does an exchange with Japan(they have a sister city, I forget the name) every year. It was neat. I was going to be served tea, but some munchkin brats ran up there first whereas I just raised my hand :(. The japanese tea house was a present from the sister city. We went in there and the japanese jointry was amazing. No nails, pegs or anything; It just comes together and stays like that for a thousand years or so. My grandpa maintains that garden with other people, he's a big garden guy(also in photography).

You guys want to go shopping with me? Alright, settle down. There is an outlet mall about 40 minutes away from where we were staying. I believe it was called The Crossing Outlet or summat like that. On the menu today are three jackets, a pair of pants, and a pack of underwear(sorry Jill no pics).

We went into DKNY on a whim thinking we were just going to peek around, but like an out of control chemical reaction it yeilded the following:

Linen cotton blend, very soft, doesn't wrinkle too badly and perfect for the summer. It was $130 originally, bought it for $30.

Working button cuffs, I usually keep them unbuttoned

Single vented

Jacket number two is a seersucker sport coat. This one cost a pretty penny, not to me though. Original price $179, I got it for $16.

Again, working button cuffs(and they're kissing)

The innards!

After all that at DKNY we ended up at Celvin Klein. there I got a linen cotton blend of pants(same as the jacket). I was looking for a pair of casual flat fronts like this. $50 originally, bought for $25

We were walking down the strip of all the stores and somehow the conversation ended up on underwear. When I said that I'm particular and only like the jockey bikinis I turned the corner and was greeted by the jockey store. I found it to be a bit funny. $11

After all that shopping(4 hours we were there I think) we went home to eat dinner. The next day though I went with my grandma to Tjmaxx to see if there was anything there worth a bill.

I found this, it's from America Eagle, pretty heavy, navy velvet(Oh behaaaave!), 2 buttons and i thought it would be perfect for winter. Original... don't remember, but had for $16

Single vented, working button cuffs(sorry forgot to take a picture of it)

Next day we were going to New York. The picture of what I wore is already in the other thread so I won't repost it. As for the trip... man did I feel at home walking down the street looking dandy. Reminded me of my childhood(I use to live in St. Petersburg, Russia) and I was beeming with confidence. We went to see a show, Chicago which was spectacular and dare I say risque? Yes.
I saw all the boutiques that I didn't care to notice 3 years earlier. The second floor of Ferragamo is pretty fantastic I must say. We ate at Pasta Lovers on 58th and 59th. It looked prety Ritzy when I first spotted it, but it was pretty cheap(for NYC anyway) and the food was amazing, the service was fast, and did I mention the food was good? I recommend to whoever can go, Rigatoni alla Vodka. Also only $14. I can't possibly put down all the emotions and things I felt and though the whole day there in this post. I remember that my feet hurt by the end of the day though. This just reiterates that, god damn I love New York.
Don't know who the people in the backround are.

A couple of days later we went to a pleasure garden. Again, I didn't pay attentiont to the name, but it was nice and we picniced there. It was a nice day. The heat left after the first two days and we were bathing in 80 degrees of east coast beauty. Here's a picture from the garden

Egads! Are those flip flops? Yeah, shush.

Overall, it was amazing. The only way it could have been better is if I could bring my better part. The lady had to stay home though, I guess can't have everything you want. I'm not complaining though. I hope everyone enjoyed this photoessay I'm going to go do something about that coconut.

Thanks to imageshack for hosting.

Last edited:

EL72

44XT said:
Get the Vespa!

Second that.

The real reason your gf doesn't want you to get it is because she knows that all the chicks will be after you for a ride... :icon_smile_wink: if you get it.

Nice buys there too - good deals.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Mr. Golem said:
Yeah, only $3000 separate me and this:

Edit: They have really bad photography, the color is actually much better in person.

Mr Golem: Enjoyed the photo essay...that was quite a vacation journal! Re the Vespa...save your money a while longer and get a Harley. The experience is unbelievable and a "hog" is all American. You would outgrow the Vespa within a year of the initial purchase.

hockeyinsider

Elite Member
I like the outfit in the final picture. I would wear something like that to class in the first part of the fall semester (until mid-September) and the later parts of the spring semester when it's warm.

fenway

You look fantastic. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Hope my son has that sense of sartorial splendor when he's your age.

Chuck Franke

Advanced Member
Golem is an important test case, to my knowledge he'll be the first of a generation of young men who grew up with AAAC without having to wander for years in the sartorial wilderness.

Well done Golem :)

acidicboy

Elite Member
you've been cultivating a very nice personal style - congratulations!!

and get the vespa! as somebody who owned one, i must say it is pretty safe and a pleasure to drive.

Mr. Golem

Golem is an important test case, to my knowledge he'll be the first of a generation of young men who grew up with AAAC without having to wander for years in the sartorial wilderness.

Well done Golem :)

I'm pretty happy that I found this site so early on. It opened up the world of clothing for me which is good because I always have something to talk about with girls. :p

Everything looks so good I don't even mind the flip-flops!

I'm going to use that quote against you sooner or later, so watch out...

Very nice white colors for you Mr.Golem. :)

It's summer after all and I'm trying to get as much use of those whites as possible before the seasons turn. I actually wore the NYC ensemble to school today which felt great minus the 9032234 pounds of books that I had to carry.

you've been cultivating a very nice personal style - congratulations!!

and get the vespa! as somebody who owned one, i must say it is pretty safe and a pleasure to drive.

When did you own one? I would love to hear your experience with it.

Last edited:

acidicboy

Elite Member
When did you own one? I would love to hear your experience with it.

vespa_PX150_2.jpg

owned a px150 in the mid-90s that looks exactly like the pic above. sadly i didnt have a picture of it. i even had "vintage" accessories, like a solo bike seat replacing the original long seat, and vintage taillights. the px150 did have its share of problem, mainly the exhaust fumes, because of the model's old technology engine, and the clutch on the left handle needs getting used to. but all in all, a very pleasurable drive and i have absolutely no regret in plunking down what was then my biggest purchase. too bad i had to let it go because of parking problems in the place where i moved.

one thing peculiar about driving a vespa- when you get to drive along another vespa rider, you tend to acknowledge each other. :)

Acct2000

Connoisseur - Moderator
Nice choices, Mr. Golem.

It's nice to see that a man of your age understands the importance of presenting himself well! You have a nice sense of style about what you choose and get good value for your money, too.

Mr. Golem

What are you going to wear when the Summer turns to Autumn?

I'm actually going shopping again this weekend and hopefully I'll find some cotton khakis on heavy discount, maybe even a pair of pants in a very light grey? I'll also start wearing some of my darker shirts. Autumn and winter also calls for layering and sweaters...possibly my two favorite things.

Nice choices, Mr. Golem.

It's nice to see that a man of your age understands the importance of presenting himself well! You have a nice sense of style about what you choose and get good value for your money, too.

Value is unbelievably important to me. I can't stand paying more than $15(how much i got them for) for a shirt or $30 for pants(and I generally don't). Good thing I'm not into the bespoke market yet :p.

Nice buys! May I ask what kind of pants you have in the last picture? Like the belt too.
-fn

They're a really think seersucker from The GAP. It's their lounge pants(they have a drawstring inside them) but I found that they can be worn up as well. More so, you can probably get them on sale right now for $15 or less, but hurry before they put away their summer stuff, if they haven't already.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange