Vintage Alynn Neckwear...

katon

I think that Alynn would make a killing if they released their old emblematics in 100% silk. They were usually pretty clever.

For good reason, apparently, as the founder of Alynn worked at Chipp for 17 years:
Later, after Mr. Cadan met his wife, he went into her family's business. Her father owned Chipp Inc. in Manhattan, a custom clothier whose customers included President John F. Kennedy. He worked there for 17 years. "What I began to see was that wives would come into the shop and look around while their husband was fitted and they were very interested in ties. They wanted creative, unusual ties," he said.

Mr. Cadan studied the market and in 1979 left to form the neckwear company with his wife.
Alynn Neckwear is still around, but they seem to focus on unremarkable Vinyard Vines style prints now.

A sampling of vintage designs, courtesy of Ebay:

alynnsexyseniorcitizen.jpg

"Sexy Senior Citizen"

alynnratrace.jpg

"Rat Race"

alynndirtyoldman.jpg

"Dirty Old Man"

alynnboatingflagdirtyoldman.jpg

"Dirty Old Man", nautical style! :)

alynnboatingflagtgiaf.jpg

"Thank God It's Almost Friday"

If you have any Alynn emblematics, photos would be welcome! :icon_smile_big:

Last edited:

C. Sharp

I often thought that they would be great in silk. Poly was the fabric of the time though. It seems we are a bit more forgiving when it comes to Chipp; I might go as far as to say Paul Winston was the only man who could make Terylene look good. As an aside I thought the Chipp and Alynn Italian silks in the holiday themes(little men carrying firecrackers, hearts, shamrocks,champagne bottles etc ) were the same make. I do not know if anyone can ever make a killing on ties today but well executed embelmatics with a touch of whimsy are still appreciated in some quarters. You can still get Chipp ties. Paul might even throw in an old tie mailer if they are still available. Give him a call +1 (212) 687-0850 p.

I think that Alynn would make a killing if they released their old emblematics in 100% silk. They were usually pretty clever.

For good reason, apparently, as the founder of Alynn worked at Chipp for 17 years:
Alynn Neckwear is still around, but they seem to focus on unremarkable Vinyard Vines style prints now.

A sampling of vintage designs, courtesy of Ebay:

alynnsexyseniorcitizen.jpg

"Sexy Senior Citizen"

alynnratrace.jpg

"Rat Race"

alynndirtyoldman.jpg

"Dirty Old Man"

alynnboatingflagdirtyoldman.jpg

"Dirty Old Man", nautical style! :)

alynnboatingflagtgiaf.jpg

"Thank God It's Almost Friday"

If you have any Alynn emblematics, photos would be welcome! :icon_smile_big:

Last edited:

katon

KGrHqZlE6B9DTNlBOs0l8Kqug60_12.jpg

KGrHqEOKkEE6PKOTUlBOs0l5nGDg60_12.jpg

"Yuppi Gator"

Not their best work, IMHO... unique, though.

A tie for those days you wish to be left alone? :)

"S-E-X-Y"

"1st Class Male"

Last edited:

katon

Sometimes the jokes are more obscure than others. Alynn also did custom emblematics for organizations, which muddies the waters a bit.

A few puzzlers:

cccatwebshot.jpg

cccat2.jpg

Bowtie-wearing cats???

110811_140.jpg

110811_141.jpg

For the cheap Scotch lover, or is a white horse just a white horse?

Plus a few interesting ones I haven't seen in the wild yet:

hmw.jpg

irs.jpg

mc.jpg

Anyone here ever seen the catalogue?

Last edited:

127.72 MHz

Elite Member
I love emblematics. I could browse new images in this thread all day.

If anyone has a good source for silk emblematic ties please pass it on to me.

Great thread.

G

Guest-148031

My personal favorite was the “Hello Handsome” written in reverse.

Alex Cadan (Alan Cadan’s son)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange