Flaneur

Gentlemen:

Good day to you and thank you for taking a few moments from your busy day/evening to read this post.

I'm an archivist and collector based in Long Beach, CA, seeking pieces of vintage Julian apparel and accessory items from his better menswear lines.

I've posted several scans of the Julian labels of greatest interest, along with a career overview here:

https://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/julian-alexander/

Should you have any men's items which bear any of the labels you'll find at the above VFG page, I'd very much like to hear from you.

Flaneur

Last edited:

peterc

I had several AJ pieces from the late 80's/early 90's. These were some of the finest men's clothing I ever owned. Made by Greenfield. Sadly, I sold them years ago, as my size increased.

I had several AJ pieces from the late 80's/early 90's. These were some of the finest men's clothing I ever owned. Made by Greenfield. Sadly, I sold them years ago, as my size increased.
Interesting. Would that include Colours by Alexander Julian? I have an older gray-flannel (very heavyweight) 2-button pinstripe suit of this make. "Made in USA From Imported Fabric," the tag says.

Flaneur

AscotWithShortSleeves:

The Martin Greenfield produced tailored clothing he's referencing is from Julian's "Collection" line--Alex refers to it as the "test track" for "Colours".

The Greenfield era clothes (1988-1991) all bore the same navy label with burgundy central band, which you can see by following the link in this thread's first post.

Flaneur

Last edited:

Flaneur

One more point--early "Colours" tailored clothing (1981-1986) was made by the Greif Companies, a respected manufacturer who also held the license to manufacture Ralph Lauren's tailored clothing. The Greif Companies, a division of footwear maker Genesco, was shuttered in 1994, due to the lethal combination of plummeting sales volumes and ever-increasing retail prices.

Fred G. Unn

His dad's shop, Julian's, is still in Chapel Hill. I know Alexander Julian has a big following down there due to that shop and the fact he designed the argyle pattern that is on the UNC basketball uniforms. I bet his stuff pops up in thrift stores in Chapel Hill. You might be able to get someone near UNC to keep an eye out for you.

vpkozel

His dad's shop, Julian's, is still in Chapel Hill. I know Alexander Julian has a big following down there due to that shop and the fact he designed the argyle pattern that is on the UNC basketball uniforms. I bet his stuff pops up in thrift stores in Chapel Hill. You might be able to get someone near UNC to keep an eye out for you.
Last I heard he was working at the shop and living in Chapel Hill. I had the pleasure of getting my first tux from Mr. Julian. He was everything you would want an expert clothier to be. Knowledgable, funny, educational, and very easy to get along with. If you ever are in CH, it is definitely worth a visit to the shop. I have a few AJ items and am always keeping an eye out for them on ebay.

Before he did the Heels unis, he brought teal and purple to the NBA with the Hornets.

Acme

I don't know what amazes me more: that this post has finally gotten responses after nine years, that the OP is still around to respond, or that the OP is able to edit his nine year old post to update the link with photos to the Alexander Julian labels.

Flaneur, some of us here thrift a lot. I'll keep an eye out for you. I see a lot of Alexander Julian Colours, which I expect you're not interested in. But I have picked up one Alexander Julian Bespoke sport coat in the past, and if I see more, I'll let you know.

Good luck with your collection! Why not post some pictures to the thread? I'm sure we'd love to see it if you wish to share.

peterc

AscotWithShortSleeves:

The Martin Greenfield produced tailored clothing he's referencing is from Julian's "Collection" line--Alex refers to it as the "test track" for "Colours".

The Greenfield era clothes (1988-1991) all bore the same navy label with burgundy central band, which you can see by following the link in this thread's first post.

Flaneur
The first AJ suit I had, bought at Saks in NYC in the Fall of 1987 had the rectangular grey label shown on the label-ography. It was a USA Greenfield.

peterc

One more point--early "Colours" tailored clothing (1981-1986) was made by the Greif Companies, a respected manufacturer who also held the license to manufacture Ralph Lauren's tailored clothing. The Greif Companies, a division of footwear maker Genesco, was shuttered in 1994, due to the lethal combination of plummeting sales volumes and ever-increasing retail prices.
Greif also made the licensed Kilgour, French & Stanbury tailored clothing. I had a blazer and a tweed h-bone hacking jacket, both bought at Barneys in 1986-87.

Flaneur

Gents:

After a long period of dormancy, it seems there's a flicker of interest in these parts, so I thought I'd reintroduce myself to any of you who're reading this.

I've been collecting Alex's better menswear for over 30 years, and have, as all collectors do, I suspect, a lengthy list of "ones that got away" over the years.

If you still have any vintage AJ pieces in your wardrobe that you'd consider parting with, or you come across any of his better product (see updated link in first post of this thread for pics of labels) in your travels, I'd sure love to hear from you.

Best,

Flaneur

Flaneur, thanks for the info on the brand, and best of luck with your quest. (The Colours suit I own seems to me of such apparent high quality, I can only imagine what these earlier lines were like.)

If you don't mind saying, I'd be curious as to what has led you to be such an aficionado of Julian's in particular. Do you have some connection to the brand or the person? Or do you just think those early suits are really distinctive?

Flaneur

I imagine there are others reading this thread who are also wondering what all the fuss is about.

Not sure if words can convey the cumulative impact that AJ's textiles/clothes have had upon me and upon many other gents I've encountered over the years who have also found themselves...gripped, seized, captivated or otherwise have fallen under the spell of his "Couture" work. If all one has ever seen is his "Colours" product, then I fear no words alone will be persuasive.

The Japanese have a nick name for Alex: "The Magician of Color".

I quite like it, as it suggests a realm of appreciation beyond mere warp and weft, a realm in which, by means of some kind of strange alchemy, clothes are, as if by magic, transformed into art.

peterc

Responding to the above post, I agree. No one made clothes like AJ. I will never forget how that first AJ suit fit. It felt like it was made for me. And as for the colours in his fabrics, well, what can I say, they were beyond anything you see today. If AJ made a men's couture line today, I think he could justify a $3,000.00 price tag for his suits. Oh, and by the way, that first one was 5% cashmere.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.