32rollandrock

Connoisseur
New poster: Hi, I collect clothing worn by personnel on the White Star line. I'm particularly interested in uniforms worn by the crew of the Titanic.

Dr. L: Steerage or first class? I have both...

DapperNapper

Starting Member
Gentlemen:

Good day to you and thank you for taking a few moments from your busy day/evening to read this post.

I'm an archivist and collector based in Long Beach, CA, seeking pieces of vintage Julian apparel and accessory items from his better menswear lines.

I've posted several scans of the Julian labels of greatest interest, along with a career overview here:

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/julian-alexander/

Should you have any men's items which bear any of the labels you'll find at the above VFG page, I'd very much like to hear from you.

Flaneur
I purchased a AJ 1982-1984 medium gray suit that I have not yet had tailored. It appears to be in perfect shape.

Woofa

Hi dapper and welcome to the forums. In case you did not realize, the post you quoted is fifteen years old. I doubt the op is any longer on the forum/interested (although we never know.)
if you are looking for fit opinions on the suit, please post pictures.

DapperNapper

Starting Member
Hi dapper and welcome to the forums. In case you did not realize, the post you quoted is fifteen years old. I doubt the op is any longer on the forum/interested (although we never know.)
Thank you Woofa. I did realize the post was old but, being new to the site I thought I'd give it a try.

Regarding fitting pics, I'm planning on visiting a tailor this weekend so will try to post before and after.

G

Guest-241440

Gentlemen:

Good day to you and thank you for taking a few moments from your busy day/evening to read this post.

I'm an archivist and collector based in Long Beach, CA, seeking pieces of vintage Julian apparel and accessory items from his better menswear lines.

I've posted several scans of the Julian labels of greatest interest, along with a career overview here:

http://vintagefashionguild.org/label-resource/julian-alexander/

Should you have any men's items which bear any of the labels you'll find at the above VFG page, I'd very much like to hear from you.

Flaneur
still looking ? i have a suit made in italy i bough new in 1983 or 1984.

peterc

The Julian items I had between 1987 and 1989 were incredible: 2 suits and 1 sportcoat. Quite possibly the nicest, best fitting, most comfortable and best looking on me, items I have ever owned. I still have the sleeve label for the suit I bought at Saks in NYC in October 1987.

I hope those looking find everything they want.

Flaneur

I purchased a AJ 1982-1984 medium gray suit that I have not yet had tailored. It appears to be in perfect shape.
Hello!

Seems the auto-notification of replies to my original post has gotten disabled, leading to my tardy reply.

I can’t quite tell from your post whether you are intending to have the suit tailored for yourself or if you were writing to indicate an interest in selling.

Either way, I look forward to hearing from you—please include a few pics of the suit’s fabric. It sounds like this piece would bear the teal-bordered label, which is certainly a sweet-spot for AJ enthusiasts such as myself.

Best,

Eric

Flaneur

still looking ? i have a suit made in italy i bough new in 1983 or 1984.
Hello!

Apologies for the tardy response—seems the auto-reply email notification went to spam or something.

OP here, still keen on acquiring vintage AJ pieces.

Italian make AJ suit?

Consider me interested.

Please post pics here or PM them along with your asking price.

Best,

Eric

Last edited:

Flaneur

Hello!

I’m still keenly interested in acquiring pieces of vintage Julian items from his better product lines though I’ve not visited AAAC not SF in quite some time, given that the last nibble I received in these parts came from the great Dr. Livingston in *2014* (see his post of a Julian navy blazer which I subsequently acquired from him, above).

Kind regards,

Eric

Flaneur

Hello!

I’m still keenly interested in acquiring pieces of vintage Julian items from his better product lines though I’ve not visited AAAC not SF in quite some time, given that the last nibble I received in these parts came from the great Dr. Livingston in *2014* (see his post of a Julian navy blazer which I subsequently acquired from him, above).

Kind regards,

Eric
Gents:

For anyone interested, I’ve created an IG feed dedicated to replicating in digital form my scrapbook of AJ ads and fashion editorials as well as from my own archive.

It now contains 307 full color images of Alex’s most expressive work along with (ahem) color commentary:

https://www.instagram.com/alex_julian_collector/?hl=en

Eric

G

Guest-808181

Hello!

Seems the auto-notification of replies to my original post has gotten disabled, leading to my tardy reply.

I can’t quite tell from your post whether you are intending to have the suit tailored for yourself or if you were writing to indicate an interest in selling.

Either way, I look forward to hearing from you—please include a few pics of the suit’s fabric. It sounds like this piece would bear the teal-bordered label, which is certainly a sweet-spot for AJ enthusiasts such as myself.

Best,

Eric
Eric,

It was my intention to get the suit tailored for me because it is a very nice suit. It's a good heavy weight compared to my other suits. I decided not to tailor because it is a long and my tailor and I concluded the jacket was just too long and would be best unaltered. My son is this size but again I held off since he is like any young man they don't see the value in suits.

The suit has been hemmed. I cannot tell if it has been worn although I assume it was used at least once. I will attempt to post pics shortly but am new to this site so need to learn how. I could also send full photos and dimensions, if you'd like, directly to you if that would be easier.

DapperNapper

Starting Member
Hello!

Best,

Eric
Eric - Photos are too large to attach. Curious. I'll attempt another method or if you can send me your email then I can likely upload to the cloud and send you a link..

mikel

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
@DapperNapper - If you need assistance resizing photos, please feel free to email us at info(at)askandyaboutclothes[.dot.]com, and we'd be happy to help.

@Flaneur - If you'd like to share photos from your IG here in this thread, or want to create a new thread to showcase your Alexander Julian photos, we'd be happy to have you share them here.

Flaneur

@DapperNapper - If you need assistance resizing photos, please feel free to email us at info(at)askandyaboutclothes[.dot.]com, and we'd be happy to help.

@Flaneur - If you'd like to share photos from your IG here in this thread, or want to create a new thread to showcase your Alexander Julian photos, we'd be happy to have you share them here.
Hello, Mike:

Thank you for offering to allow me to post the over 300 pics now living on my IG feed here on AAAC.

I would think such an undertaking needs its own thread.

Is linkage to external websites such as my IG not permitted here on AAAC? I confess to not having kept up with AASC forum do’s and don’ts: when I first posted here, Instagram didn’t even exist!

Best,

Eric

Flaneur

Flaneur,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. Here is a link to the photos I've placed on the cloud. Let me know if it doesn't work:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApqC7vGXYmgqib1JehupJL09vMnLSg?e=h2vy7K
DapperNapper:

Now I must apologize to you, for I see on “Thursday” (not sure *which* Thursday) you were kind enough to post this link.

44 L is a tough size to make work for my 40 R frame, and my tailor will probably end up sending me packing, but I do like the fabric.

I propose we move this conversation to PM for further discussion.

Best,

Eric

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.