Weejun Project - Where to go from here?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Great advice, Tom S.

I too have numerous Alden and AE shoes, but still like to pick up good mid-level shoes (and even a few AEs, this being Wisconsin) at thrift shops, and refresh them by cleaning and polishing, and occasionally recrafting through a good cobbler. Maybe one of these days I'll try stripping it the way you suggest.

In past years I have made annual pilgrimages to Port Washington, WI, to take advantage of Allen Edmonds Tent sales...very nice shoes at great prices! ;)

Patrick06790

Connoisseur
A tangential remark -- Without a great deal of effort or expense I managed to assemble a pointlessly large collection of Made-in-USA loafers from Bass, Sebago and Dexter from eBay. Most were lightly used; a couple were new old stock.

I admit I went a little nuts.

Okay, a lot nuts.

One thing these shoes have in common, besides their age and manufacture: None of them have that awful corrected grain finish.

And none of them cost any more than a new pair of Weejuns; most were considerably less.

Which is how I wound up with so many.

drpeter

A tangential remark -- Without a great deal of effort or expense I managed to assemble a pointlessly large collection of Made-in-USA loafers from Bass, Sebago and Dexter from eBay. Most were lightly used; a couple were new old stock.

I admit I went a little nuts.

Okay, a lot nuts.

One thing these shoes have in common, besides their age and manufacture: None of them have that awful corrected grain finish.

And none of them cost any more than a new pair of Weejuns; most were considerably less.

Which is how I wound up with so many.
At long last, a fellow addict and borderline shoe obsessive! I am glad to have such distinguished company, Patrick! And the business of inexpensive finds of excellent and mid-level brands: Yes, Sebago, Dexter and Bass, but also SAS, AE, and Doc Martens. Even a C&J! And, and...

I have under a hundred pairs of shoes, I like to say in public, but the awful truth is that it is almost 150 pairs. I think I will have to open a shoe museum shortly. And a sports jacket museum. Plus a grey flannel collection...

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.