Eligius

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I have some Mephisto shoes that I have collected over the years due to some serious plantar fasciitis. They are extremely comfortable. I have more recently become interested in shoe construction and am revisiting some of my older shoes. Mephisto generally says all of their shoes are resolable, but only a few are listed as GYW. This is prominently displayed on those models. Questions on these 2:

Shoe 1: wingtip; it seems to have a welt and has stitches along the top of the sole. But it has none that I can see inside on the insole or the bottom of the shoe. There even seems to be a welt joint. This shoe (Waldo) is not listed under they GYW collection. It does not appear to be a Blake stitch. Any ideas on whether this is all fake welting? And if it’s glued how can it be resoled?

81FCF4E9-5905-42F1-BC7A-EF0B962760E8.jpeg
45ADEAF9-1076-4821-8F9B-4BD803B93D63.jpeg

Shoe 2: moccasin; I believe this is a Blake stitch from what I have read online? But there is stitching visible on the bottom of the shoe that I have not seen described.

6069C6B3-89EB-4645-BEE4-82A6F31F2E3A.jpeg
32A64282-C6C1-4879-80CB-08509D2051BE.jpeg
F3F79906-6BD8-4221-B138-FC2F52B54956.jpeg

Last, both say genuine leather. Does that mean the lowest quality as I associate with belts?

Thanks to all for any insights!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I have some Mephisto shoes that I have collected over the years due to some serious plantar fasciitis. They are extremely comfortable. I have more recently become interested in shoe construction and am revisiting some of my older shoes. Mephisto generally says all of their shoes are resolable, but only a few are listed as GYW. This is prominently displayed on those models. Questions on these 2:

Shoe 1: wingtip; it seems to have a welt and has stitches along the top of the sole. But it has none that I can see inside on the insole or the bottom of the shoe. There even seems to be a welt joint. This shoe (Waldo) is not listed under they GYW collection. It does not appear to be a Blake stitch. Any ideas on whether this is all fake welting? And if it’s glued how can it be resoled?

View attachment 57302 View attachment 57303

Shoe 2: moccasin; I believe this is a Blake stitch from what I have read online? But there is stitching visible on the bottom of the shoe that I have not seen described.

View attachment 57304 View attachment 57305 View attachment 57306

Last, both say genuine leather. Does that mean the lowest quality as I associate with belts?

Thanks to all for any insights!
I've enjoyed perhaps five pair of Mephisto's over the years and they have all been of good quality and have served me quite well. The shoes were all well made. ;)

Eligius

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yes, I am a big fan of Mephisto. I credit them with really helping me be able to wear a dress type shoe at work and recover from some painful conditions. But the welt question has been on my mind, particularly with the wingtip and how it is constructed and can be re-soled. I recently received some ancient sandals sent for refurbishing and they are like new!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.