Men's Clothing Forums banner

What are you listening to right now?

344K views 2K replies 176 participants last post by  revahS 
#1 ·
Amy Beach's Gaelic Symphony - Nashville Symphony Orchestra. In the Naxos American Classics series. Beautiful! "Irish pastoral" I'd call it. Listening to one movement on Spotify. Enjoying it very much.
I shall listen to the Naxos "Songs" by Amy Beach next.

I didn't even know of the existence of Amy Beach until half an hour ago driving home from mass, when I was listending as I usually do on a Sunday to the Classical music jury programme with a panel of 3 experts that passes judgement on new releases. One of the five albums being reviewed this week was an Amy Beach recording by a German quartet plus an awful colaratura soprano, my God, she murdered the songs! So the CD justifiably got totally slated!

#6 ·
Kings of Leon: Your Sex Is On Fire.

My musical tastes are somewhat unsophisticated, tho perhaps that didn't need to be said.
I personally think music is much easier than that. For me there are only 2 types of music, music that does something for me and music that doesn't.
The music that doesn't group is smaller than the music that does group.

Genres are only there to assist sales. So that people know where to look.
Any two people will categorize any song in two different ways. So genres are meaningless.

This was brought home to me on Saturday looking through some old 7" singles in a charity shop. On one Eurythmics' single the previous owner had taped a piece of paper with the handwritten text "disco jive". Then on the next Eurythmics single on a piece of paper was written "slow close dance" So here we've got a DJ categorizing music in the context of what to play at what point in the evening and based on what the crowd want.

BTW I think Kings of Leon are good....not my daily cup of cha but what I've heard I've liked.

#10 · (Edited)
Yes, it's a church, but not mine. Not the organist, either. Just a very, very wet-behind-the-ears newbie. But, I'm learning.
You will have seen of course, the great scene in the film "The Commitments" when the band's piano player Stephen (a.k.a. church organist) is practicing on the church organ and he's playing "A Whiter Shade of Pale" when Jimmy comes in and then the priest comes in!

"He nicked it from Marvin Gaye"
"HE nicked it from Bach" :icon_smile:

Great scene. Great film. Enjoy the clip!

And here's Procul Harum on Top Of The Pops in 1967 playing Air in G.....sorry I mean A Whiter Shade of Pale ;)

:icon_smile:

#16 ·
Kings of Leon: Your Sex Is On Fire

I know I mentioned that, but it's 24 hrs later and hey, I dig The Kings.
Coincidentally, shortly after your posting yesterday I was listening to Danny Baker on BBC Radio London, and after the Steppenwolf song he was playing had finished, he said "Ah yes,Steppenwolf the Kings of Leon of their day" :icon_smile:

#18 · (Edited)
Kings of Leon :icon_smile_wink: - Youth and Young Manhood album from 2003. P&P you gave me the bug for some of that Southern boogie rock! ;)
Next I'll listen to some Canned Heat, then some Lynyrd Skynyrd, then some Allman Brothers, then maybe some Steppenwolf....I draw the line at Molly Hatchet, I never quite got them! And I absolutely detested CCR. :)

#20 ·
Fleetwood Mac, the "Mr. Wonderful" album from 1968. i.e. the original blues playing Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green singing and setting that axe on fire! I mean PG's guitar on the 12 bar blues of "Dust My Broom" still gives me goosebumps.

I think it was a travesty that they didn't change their name when PG left & when they started playing pop.