Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Symphony No. 1 in C Major, Carl Maria Von Weber
Very loosely related, but your post reminded me of a good noir/crime book by James M. Cain, "Career in C Minor."

I thought you are (could be wrong) a noir/detective fiction fan. If so, you might like the book. Cain also wrote "Double Indemnity," "Mildred Pierce" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice," which, as I'm sure you know, were all turned into classic noir films.

"Career in C Minor" is a long short story, but the others short stories in the collection are good as well - so worth the modest purchase price.

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Very loosely related, but your post reminded me of a good noir/crime book by James M. Cain, "Career in C Minor."

I thought you are (could be wrong) a noir/detective fiction fan. If so, you might like the book. Cain also wrote "Double Indemnity," "Mildred Pierce" and "The Postman Always Rings Twice," which, as I'm sure you know, were all turned into classic noir films.

"Career in C Minor" is a long short story, but the others short stories in the collection are good as well - so worth the modest purchase price.

A 'fan' may be overstating the case. I have read all the Raymond Chandler books and a few of Dashiell Hammett. I have one or two Mickey Spilane's but I haven't read any of the genre for years. Not sure why . . .

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
A 'fan' may be overstating the case. I have read all the Raymond Chandler books and a few of Dashiell Hammett. I have one or two Mickey Spilane's but I haven't read any of the genre for years. Not sure why . . .
Have you read any James M. Cain? I think you'd enjoy him. I'd start with "Mildred Pierce" or "Double Indemnity," but you really can't go too wrong with any of his stuff (that said, I haven't read everything he's written, but of what I have, all has been good).

Big T

I recently "treated" myself to an Amazon "Echo Studio" for my office. This is an Alexa enable device, advertised as playing music in high definition, as well as 3D. Whether it does is immaterial. I bought it so I could subscribe to Amazon Music Service, which is more extensive than any other, and it is! I have yet to ask Alexa to play anything that she could not find.

Now, about the HD or 3D playback, well in another thread, pictures of a Ford Skyliner appeared (love that car), and in that era, Hi Fi was really a rage (some good stuff, a lot of junk), and in that era, reverberation appeared in some of those huge, console stereos we grew up with. My point is, the sound is "different", and to me, does not sound realistic (I like my Martin Logans electro static speakers, driven by NAD power amp and tube pre-amp. I have a tube buffering device between my Marantz CD unit, the does wonders with smoothing out the digital harshness). Amazon is suggesting an awful lot for a $200 unit!

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
I recently "treated" myself to an Amazon "Echo Studio" for my office. This is an Alexa enable device, advertised as playing music in high definition, as well as 3D. Whether it does is immaterial. I bought it so I could subscribe to Amazon Music Service, which is more extensive than any other, and it is! I have yet to ask Alexa to play anything that she could not find.

Now, about the HD or 3D playback, well in another thread, pictures of a Ford Skyliner appeared (love that car), and in that era, Hi Fi was really a rage (some good stuff, a lot of junk), and in that era, reverberation appeared in some of those huge, console stereos we grew up with. My point is, the sound is "different", and to me, does not sound realistic (I like my Martin Logans electro static speakers, driven by NAD power amp and tube pre-amp. I have a tube buffering device between my Marantz CD unit, the does wonders with smoothing out the digital harshness). Amazon is suggesting an awful lot for a $200 unit!
Way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, as did a lot of young military members, I bought myself one hell of a component sound system. While I am not sure I was ever technically capable of fully understanding and/or fully appreciating the system, sitting on display in my BOQ unit, it looked like a million bucks. However, it sure got the attention of the ladies and consequently was worth every penny I paid for the system. But the truth be known, as I recall, the sound(s) coming out of that old component system were no better and probably not as good as those coming from my present day Apple AirPod Pro's and I'm here to tell you they cost a whole lot less than that old component system! LOL. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Way back in the late 1960's and early 1970's, as did a lot of young military members, I bought myself one hell of a component sound system. While I am not sure I was ever technically capable of fully understanding and/or fully appreciating the system, sitting on display in my BOQ unit, it looked like a million bucks. However, it sure got the attention of the ladies and consequently was worth every penny I paid for the system. But the truth be known, as I recall, the sound(s) coming out of that old component system were no better and probably not as good as those coming from my present day Apple AirPod Pro's and I'm here to tell you they cost a whole lot less than that old component system! LOL. ;)
After pining for a stereo as a penniless kid in the '70s, I finally bought a "stereo system" when I started making money in the '80s. I bought individual "components" because that was the "cool" thing to do back then.

I bought a receiver, equalizer, turntable and speakers, with a tape deck added later and a CD player added much later. All of them were made by different and not-well-known Japanese manufacturers - not 'cause I really knew what I was doing, but because that was, again, the "cool" thing to do.

And while I probably bought better components than my ear could appreciate, it sounded great. I had that stereo system for about thirty years (through countless moves) and, yes, most women seem to like it (for whatever reason, buying an expensive stereo system was mainly a guy, not woman, thing back then). "Would you like to come up and listen to (this or that) album" was a well-worn (by most men of my age) line on a date - and it often worked.

Now I have Pandora and Amazon streaming through Sonos speakers. To my ear, the sound is nice but "hollow" compared to that old stereo system. I can't explain it the way a pro could, but the sound just isn't as "rich" or "full" as from the stereo.

The truth is, I don't care enough anymore, nor do I want the hassle of buying, setting up and maintaining a good system (nor do I want to give up the space it would take in our NYC apartment), so Sonos and streaming it is.

All that said, there are times I'm by myself listening to it and I know it's weak versus what I once had, but most of the time, I don't care that much.

Big T

impressing the ladies was why most of us squandered our money on high!

Lucido

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I've found Spotify + high quality earphones to provide an excellent listening experience without spending too much on high-end audio equipment.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's source of audio entertainment is Conway Twitty, singing "Hello Darlin'', "Tight FittinJeans," and "It's Only Make Believe," from his Gold Hits album! Great country medley. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals