bryanmcdan

Starting Member
Starting in the Renaissance, rulers, or other elites, would have that to which they would refer as a "cabinet of curiosities", a Wunderkammer, a collection of objects beautiful, rare, or odd. I am beginning to think that my wardrobe is exactly that - less a conventional wardrobe, and more of an accumulation of items that I have found of interest to me, most of which I find some excuse for to wear. As I tend to shop only during sale season, either I am the "trash collector", or I merely see the possibilities of items beyond the imaginations of the rest of the public - there is merit to either interpretation.

With today's attire, I am wearing one of the newest acquisitions, today's bow tie, snatched from the final sale pile of items at Paul Stuart's pop-up shop warehouse sale - a whopping $15 worth.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Ike Behar
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Trousers and pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Crockett & Jones for Paul Stuart
Hat - Peter Grimm

View attachment 48270 View attachment 48271 View attachment 48272 View attachment 48273 View attachment 48274 View attachment 48275
Another excellent ensemble, I’ll have to look more closely into Paul Stuart after all you’ve shown from them. Thank you again for being an example and helping me to learn every day!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today's featured acquisitions show that fashion follows world events, including COVID-19. Up until now, for a face covering, I've been making do with bandannas, which have their disadvantages, epidemiological (they are thought to be less effective in blocking COVID-19) and practical (on a warm day, the exhaust of one's breath, at least for me, has soaked into the knot of one's necktie).

I recently saw New & Lingwood's offerings for face masks, which happen to include masks printed in their peacock patter, the same pattern as their silk dressing gowns (albeit in more practical washable cotton). Since I will most likely never afford one of their dressing gowns, but am in awe of their colors and patterns, I was easily seduced into indulging in three of their masks, as shown below.

Face masks - New & Lingwood
Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Tyrwhitt
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

IMG_4312.JPG
IMG_4314.JPG
IMG_4315.JPG
IMG_4316.JPG
IMG_4317.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4319.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's featured acquisitions show that fashion follows world events, including COVID-19. Up until now, for a face covering, I've been making do with bandannas, which have their disadvantages, epidemiological (they are thought to be less effective in blocking COVID-19) and practical (on a warm day, the exhaust of one's breath, at least for me, has soaked into the knot of one's necktie).

I recently saw New & Lingwood's offerings for face masks, which happen to include masks printed in their peacock patter, the same pattern as their silk dressing gowns (albeit in more practical washable cotton). Since I will most likely never afford one of their dressing gowns, but am in awe of their colors and patterns, I was easily seduced into indulging in three of their masks, as shown below.

Face masks - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Tyrwhitt
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren

View attachment 48404 View attachment 48405 View attachment 48406 View attachment 48407 View attachment 48408 View attachment 48409 View attachment 48410
Paraphrasing and perhaps reminiscent of the iconic Loan Ranger TV series, many were heard to murmur.."Who was that masked man? The indian lookes strangely like Johnny Depp!" LOL. My friend you are setting the standard as always. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather continues to be mild (at least for a New York August), giving me the opportunity to dress up a bit, for a change.

Today's shoes are new - my first pair of shoes from J. Fitzpatrick, since they opened a store in Manhattan. So far, so good.

Do forgive the crease in my suit jacket today - an unfortunate side effect of my mania for suit purchases, they get squashed in the closet - some de-accessions to the collection might soon be in order . . .

Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson
Face mask - New & Lingwood
Shoes - J. Fitzpatrick

IMG_4322.JPG
IMG_4323.JPG
IMG_4324.JPG
IMG_4325.JPG
IMG_4326.JPG
IMG_4327.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
It's midweek, and it has continued unseasonably cool here in NYC, albeit with a bit of rain this morning, and some expected later this afternoon. However, in between the showers, and with the temperatures moderated, it gives me the opportunity to wear today's suit without fear of immediate heat prostration upon leaving my apartment. Why this suit - well, just because . . .

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Bergdorf Goodman house brand

IMG_4330.JPG
IMG_4331.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG
IMG_4333.JPG
IMG_4334.JPG
IMG_4335.JPG

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It's midweek, and it has continued unseasonably cool here in NYC, albeit with a bit of rain this morning, and some expected later this afternoon. However, in between the showers, and with the temperatures moderated, it gives me the opportunity to wear today's suit without fear of immediate heat prostration upon leaving my apartment. Why this suit - well, just because . . .

Suit - Paul Stuart
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart

View attachment 48482 View attachment 48483 View attachment 48484 View attachment 48485 View attachment 48486 View attachment 48487
Just splendid!

IT_cyclist

Suit - Paul Stuart
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart

View attachment 48482 View attachment 48483 View attachment 48484 View attachment 48485 View attachment 48486 View attachment 48487
Much nicer than my rig for the morning -- jeans, polo, duck boots. All dirty.
But I did turn a weed patch into a fall garden. Peas, lettuce, spinach, and arugula planted. Hope they all come up. The last arugula as 100% failure.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Much nicer than my rig for the morning -- jeans, polo, duck boots. All dirty.
But I did turn a weed patch into a fall garden. Peas, lettuce, spinach, and arugula planted. Hope they all come up. The last arugula as 100% failure.
Your day was much more productive than mine, dirty jeans or no, and I wish you luck with your fall garden patch.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather continues mild and dry, with moderate temperatures and low humidity in NYC, at least for today.

I did have something of an adventure yesterday afternoon. After posting photos here, and wearing what I wore for those photos, I went for an afternoon stroll, which took me to Saks Fifth Avenue. There are dangers in looking too "put together" - within the space of 15 minutes, I was approached by three different gentlemen, all assuming that I was part of the sales staff, the notion of which I had to gently dissuade them. If I enter a retail establishment today, I hope that my less "official" attire will not trigger the same response, though, it could have been worse - I could have been at KMart, and gotten the same response.

Something less formal, as we head towards the weekend, then . . .

Sports jacket - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Shirt, trousers, shoes, and pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Polo Ralph Lauren

IMG_4338.JPG
IMG_4339.JPG
IMG_4340.JPG
IMG_4341.JPG
IMG_4342.JPG
IMG_4343.JPG

Peak and Pine

Connoisseur
The weather continues mild and dry, with moderate temperatures and low humidity in NYC, at least for today.

I did have something of an adventure yesterday afternoon. After posting photos here, and wearing what I wore for those photos, I went for an afternoon stroll, which took me to Saks Fifth Avenue. There are dangers in looking too "put together" - within the space of 15 minutes, I was approached by three different gentlemen, all assuming that I was part of the sales staff, the notion of which I had to gently dissuade them. If I enter a retail establishment today, I hope that my less "official" attire will not trigger the same response, though, it could have been worse - I could have been at KMart, and gotten the same response.

Something less formal, as we head towards the weekend, then . . .

Sports jacket - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Shirt, trousers, shoes, and pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Polo Ralph Lauren

View attachment 48511 View attachment 48512 View attachment 48513 View attachment 48514 View attachment 48515 View attachment 48516
I don't usually give you Likes because you already have more Likes than my town has pick-ups and where I live everybody has a pick-up besides a swelled head would not be conducive to your hat collection, however today's jacket is like the apple pie I long for while the Apple Pie Store is closed yet the drooling is still there. Whadda hunk o'cloth. And am tempted to ask if it comes with matching underwear, but would rather not disclose why I ask that. You look good in that, as would I, maybe, were I just a wee larger. Tonight should you be out for adventure, lose the bow tie, stand on a street corner holding a crumpled NYC street map and ask passersby if they know where the nearest Horn and Hardart is. Hey, you gotta wear it someplace.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
I don't usually give you Likes because you already have more Likes than my town has pick-ups and where I live everybody has a pick-up besides a swelled head would not be conducive to your hat collection, however today's jacket is like the apple pie I long for while the Apple Pie Store is closed yet the drooling is still there. Whadda hunk o'cloth. And am tempted to ask if it comes with matching underwear, but would rather not disclose why I ask that. You look good in that, as would I, maybe, were I just a wee larger. Tonight should you be out for adventure, lose the bow tie, stand on a street corner holding a crumpled NYC street map and ask passersby if they know where the nearest Horn and Hardart is. Hey, you gotta wear it someplace.
Thank you, Peak. For reference, the fabric of the jacket is a wool/silk/linen blend, and the jacket is totally unlined.

As for Horn and Hardart, I am actually old enough, and have lived in NYC long enough to remember when their last venue was located - not far from where I currently live, as it happens. For those less familiar with the name, Horn and Hardart was generically better known as "the automat", an early experiment in fast food, a large cafeteria-like space with walls of glass-fronted cases, filled with comestibles, which one obtained by dropping nickels in the slot next to the item desired, then opening the glass door to retrieve it. The sheer mechanical joy of it all was a favorite memory of a couple of generations of NYC-bred children. Now, sadly, the parent company owns a chain of Burger King franchises, I believe - sic transit gloria mundi.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Thank you, Peak. For reference, the fabric of the jacket is a wool/silk/linen blend, and the jacket is totally unlined.

As for Horn and Hardart, I am actually old enough, and have lived in NYC long enough to remember when their last venue was located - not far from where I currently live, as it happens. For those less familiar with the name, Horn and Hardart was generically better known as "the automat", an early experiment in fast food, a large cafeteria-like space with walls of glass-fronted cases, filled with comestibles, which one obtained by dropping nickels in the slot next to the item desired, then opening the glass door to retrieve it. The sheer mechanical joy of it all was a favorite memory of a couple of generations of NYC-bred children. Now, sadly, the parent company owns a chain of Burger King franchises, I believe - sic transit gloria mundi.
In the '80s / early '90s, I used to go to the Horn and Hardart on 42nd and 2nd (now a Gap) as it was near where I lived, cheap, reasonably clean and a genuine connect to the past. Nearby was another throwback, Howard Johnson, also on 42nd, that was cavernous and architectural cool. My girlfriend at that time and I used to go there, occasionally, for ice-cream after dinner. We'd be two of maybe five people sitting at the 100+ person counter (which is why it's no longer there). But the ice-cream was good - served in a metal dish with a cookie - and, again, it was a real connect to the past.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The last day of relatively mild weather for NYC is today, and I am trying to take full advantage of it. Featured today is the sports jacket which I recently picked up for very little cash (still in need of a bit of shortening of the sleeves), and, for me, a very monochromatic color scheme - were I to be wearing any more blue and white, there would need to be the reign mark of the Emperor K'ang Hsi on my behind.

Sports jacket - Ibiza
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London

IMG_4346.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4350.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The last day of relatively mild weather for NYC is today, and I am trying to take full advantage of it. Featured today is the sports jacket which I recently picked up for very little cash (still in need of a bit of shortening of the sleeves), and, for me, a very monochromatic color scheme - were I to be wearing any more blue and white, there would need to be the reign mark of the Emperor K'ang Hsi on my behind.

Sports jacket - Ibiza
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London

View attachment 48533 View attachment 48534 View attachment 48535 View attachment 48536 View attachment 48537 View attachment 48538
Love the sport coat and shoes and the overall blueness of the outfit.

Don't you own a suit, PSPC or N&L, in a somewhat similar pattern?

Most importantly, hope all is okay with the small bruises.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Love the sport coat and shoes and the overall blueness of the outfit.

Don't you own a suit, PSPC or N&L, in a somewhat similar pattern?

Most importantly, hope all is okay with the small bruises.
Thanks, FF. I do actually own a blue glen plaid suit from Phineas Cole with is not dissimilar, though a bit less colorful, than today's sports jacket. Your memory serves you well.

As for the "small bruises", they're not bruises, but some combo of acne and eczema - the summer heat and my skin don't always get along well. These things too will pass, but thank you for your concern.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC has gone from yesterday's highs in the upper 80's and humid to today's highs in the upper 70's a dry. A sartorial celebration is in order.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Cufflinks - The Wallace Collection, London
Braces and face mask - New & Lingwood, London

IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4356.JPG
IMG_4357.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4360.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today promises to be warm and humid, and I've got a dental appointment early this afternoon - the motivation to dress up is just not there, so I've opted for linen, top and bottom.

Shirt - Lewin
Trousers - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - J. Fitzpatrick

IMG_4363.JPG
IMG_4364.JPG
IMG_4365.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today promises to be warm and humid, and I've got a dental appointment early this afternoon - the motivation to dress up is just not there, so I've opted for linen, top and bottom.

Shirt - Lewin
Trousers - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - J. Fitzpatrick

View attachment 48689 View attachment 48690 View attachment 48691
A comfortable, casual and yet classic look, setting the bar, for sure. And a plus in today's choices is that a nice robust walk to the dentist this afternoon will help break in those memorably handsome brand new shoes! Well done, Sir. ;)

wildcat1976

Jeff84

I went to the Marvel Universe of Superheroes exhibit at the Henry Ford Museum today. Lots of cool things on display from the Marvel Cinematic Universe.
Polo shirt and shorts: Brooks Brothers
Belt and driving mocs: Johnston & Murphy.
831EA43C-A354-44EC-B328-109D3CA0EA5A.jpeg
D140AE88-D016-41D9-9E7B-98C7294D3975.jpeg
7B8CCCA3-716D-4762-9A8A-55812C3CB47E.jpeg
5C763456-A4BA-41BC-AC10-79EB2AB9296D.jpeg

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.