upr_crust

Connoisseur
Although the weather outside in NYC is supposed to be quite warm and humid, today is, apparently, National Bow Tie Day, and a national holiday of this magnitude cannot be ignored, hence jacket and bow tie.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt and trousers - Brooks Brothers
Bow tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Santoni
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4368.JPG
IMG_4369.JPG
IMG_4370.JPG
IMG_4371.JPG
IMG_4372.JPG
IMG_4373.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
For once, my pictorial offerings today have little to nothing to do with today's weather in NYC, albeit the weather is pleasantly mild, with partial sunshine and low humidity. They have much more to do with my acquisition of "new toys", and my need to see if these latest additions to that cabinet of curiosities known as my wardrobe can work and play well together with the oddities already acquired.

Today's suit is from the New York branch of New & Lingwood, acquired at a most advantageous price, as the shop was closed for several months due to the pandemic, thus leaving them with a lot of stock that they are looking to move, in order to make room for new fall items. I happened to drop into the store, and saw today's suit on the rack, and was intrigued - even more so, when it turned out to fit me quite well.

The photo shown with me wearing a a quilted jacket is another recent "crime of opportunity" - something which presented itself at my local Saks Off Fifth (no snob I - I am quite democratic as to where I will spend money), and the acquisition of which was actively solicited by my husband, who on occasion decides that I "need" something - in this case, a lightweight Barbour.

As much as the weather today is mild in NYC, both of today's featured acquisitions are much too wintry to wear for some months now, so today's photos were for demonstration purposes only.

Suit - New & Lingwood
Shirt & tie - Thomas Pink
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Quilted jacket - Barbour

IMG_4376.JPG
IMG_4377.JPG
IMG_4378.JPG
IMG_4379.JPG
IMG_4380.JPG
IMG_4381.JPG
IMG_4382.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ Very nice suit.

Is that how it fit you OTR? If so, that's fantastic as it only needs some small tweaking. In my entire life, no OTR suit has ever fit that well before tailoring.

Enjoy all your new toys, they look great.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
⇧ Very nice suit.

Is that how it fit you OTR? If so, that's fantastic as it only needs some small tweaking. In my entire life, no OTR suit has ever fit that well before tailoring.

Enjoy all your new toys, they look great.
For reference, I had three things done to the suit for alterations - the sleeves were taken up about half an inch, the hem of the jacket was taken up an inch, and the trousers were cuffed. That was it. I am a lucky man, and thank you - when it gets cool enough to play with the new toys outside, they will definitely get an airing.

IT_cyclist

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
A comfortable, casual and yet classic look, setting the bar, for sure. And a plus in today's choices is that a nice robust walk to the dentist this afternoon will help break in those memorably handsome brand new shoes! Well done, Sir. ;)
Today started cool and not so humid. But ended up muggy. Sunday was wonderful. Can't we get more than ONE FREAKIN' DAY of pleasant weather in a row?
This weekend, I pre-treated the Holy-H*** out of a pair of bone colored chinos that had turned pink from dye transfer. Sitting on outdoor furniture that had several-year-old cushions that apparently had not yet faded sufficiently to not bleed all over my clothes.

IT_cyclist

Although the weather outside in NYC is supposed to be quite warm and humid, today is, apparently, National Bow Tie Day, and a national holiday of this magnitude cannot be ignored, hence jacket and bow tie.

Shirt and trousers - Brooks Brothers
Bow tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Santoni

View attachment 48711 View attachment 48712 View attachment 48713 View attachment 48714 View attachment 48715 View attachment 48716
Love the rig. Wish I could pull it off as you do... with aplomb.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is mild, albeit overcast here in NYC, reminding one that autumn is coming, though, I am sure, not without some surprise bouts of summer heat in the interim. As the season for today's jacket and trousers is winding down, I thought that I might get at least one more wearing out of both before they're retired for the season.

An amusing side note - the museums in NYC are starting to re-open, the Metropolitan re-opening for members last Thursday and Friday. I visited the Met last Friday afternoon, attired, as was shown in this thread, in a deep lavender sports jacket, white shirt, navy linen trousers, and purple bow tie - not exactly anyone's idea of a uniform. However, with the scarcity of neck ties of any sort these days, I was approached three times during my visit by other visitors, thinking that I was working for the museum, asking me directions and such - odd, as there was no lack of security staff around, all uniformed. I must have a proprietary air about me, wherever I go.

Sports jacket - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Carmina

IMG_4385.JPG
IMG_4386.JPG
IMG_4387.JPG
IMG_4388.JPG
IMG_4389.JPG
IMG_4390.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The weather is mild, albeit overcast here in NYC, reminding one that autumn is coming, though, I am sure, not without some surprise bouts of summer heat in the interim. As the season for today's jacket and trousers is winding down, I thought that I might get at least one more wearing out of both before they're retired for the season.

An amusing side note - the museums in NYC are starting to re-open, the Metropolitan re-opening for members last Thursday and Friday. I visited the Met last Friday afternoon, attired, as was shown in this thread, in a deep lavender sports jacket, white shirt, navy linen trousers, and purple bow tie - not exactly anyone's idea of a uniform. However, with the scarcity of neck ties of any sort these days, I was approached three times during my visit by other visitors, thinking that I was working for the museum, asking me directions and such - odd, as there was no lack of security staff around, all uniformed. I must have a proprietary air about me, wherever I go.

Sports jacket - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand
Tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Carmina

View attachment 48852 View attachment 48853 View attachment 48854 View attachment 48855 View attachment 48856 View attachment 48857
Only upr_crust could make a face mask a fashionable accessory, but my friend, you wear it extremely well. Well done, Sir! ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The day is sunny, warm, and a bit humid here in NYC, and I was not expecting to be dressing up today, but, this afternoon, I am contemplating the purchase of a unicorn - not an actual unicorn, but an article of clothing both exotic and rare - unusual in its configuration, and for which I most probably have little use, except that it did capture my imagination when last I laid eyes on it. Now, with the advantage of second exposure, I will see if this item was a momentary lapse in my sartorial judgment, or whether it is something that I cannot live without - or both ;) .

To that end, I dressed up a bit, for better context in trying this unicorn on for size.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Trousers - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Pocket square - Roda
Shoes - Carmina, via the Armoury, NYC

IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4395.JPG
IMG_4396.JPG
IMG_4397.JPG
IMG_4398.JPG
IMG_4399.JPG

Jeff84

Today is the last day of my summer vacation before heading back to work, so I decided to treat myself by going out to eat for the first time since March.
shorts and sport shirt: Brooks Brothers
Belt and driving mocs: Johnston & Murphy
E3C9AC68-AD8D-415B-8D5B-3A9B18861016.jpeg
D9F25209-A5C2-443C-8087-06A92CB55E13.jpeg

eagle2250

View attachment 48931 View attachment 48932 View attachment 48933 While doing homework and watching my backyard renovation get started, I figured I would enjoy the last weekend of my summer vacation shutdown in style.
Brooks Brothers polo and seersucker trousers.
Johnston & Murphy suede driving mocs and belt.
The determined red tone of your polo shirt indexes rather nicely with the rather distinguished "I Love Me Wall" situated on the wall behind you. Well done, my friend, with the decorating and the wardrobing! ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The first after a long weekend, and it's sunny and warm in NYC. Today's sports jacket has been hanging, unworn in my closet for too long, so it's getting its airing today.

I also received word that my "unicorn" is ready for pickup (see my posting here of last Friday) - photos of it in its proper context (assuming that it has one) will be forthcoming soon.

Tie - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - J. Fitzpatrick

IMG_4402.JPG
IMG_4403.JPG
IMG_4404.JPG
IMG_4405.JPG
IMG_4406.JPG
IMG_4407.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
I quote from my posting of last Friday:

"I am contemplating the purchase of a unicorn - not an actual unicorn, but an article of clothing both exotic and rare - unusual in its configuration, and for which I most probably have little use, except that it did capture my imagination when last I laid eyes on it. Now, with the advantage of second exposure, I will see if this item was a momentary lapse in my sartorial judgment, or whether it is something that I cannot live without - or both."

The "unicorn" was purchased, and I picked it up from its purveyor this afternoon. Below are some sample photos indicating how I conceive of wearing said mythical beast, should large gatherings of a formal and festive nature ever return to the social calendar here in NYC.

Dinner jacket, and braces - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tuxedo trousers - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Tie - vintage J Press
Cummerbund - vintage, no name brand
Cufflinks & studs - Deakin & Francis, London

IMG_4411.JPG
IMG_4412.JPG
IMG_4413.JPG
IMG_4414.JPG
IMG_4415.JPG

eagle2250

"I am contemplating the purchase of a unicorn - not an actual unicorn, but an article of clothing both exotic and rare - unusual in its configuration, and for which I most probably have little use, except that it did capture my imagination when last I laid eyes on it. Now, with the advantage of second exposure, I will see if this item was a momentary lapse in my sartorial judgment, or whether it is something that I cannot live without - or both."

The "unicorn" was purchased, and I picked it up from its purveyor this afternoon. Below are some sample photos indicating how I conceive of wearing said mythical beast, should large gatherings of a formal and festive nature ever return to the social calendar here in NYC.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - vintage J Press

View attachment 49074 View attachment 49075 View attachment 49076 View attachment 49077 View attachment 49078
While the jacket may indeed be a unicorn, based on it's being exotic and rare, the birds on the garment appear to be Peacocks. The jacket is certainly memorable and as you always do, you wear it so well! However, I must tell you, your sartorial courage is far greater than my own and that I wish I had your incredible sense of style and your courage to sport that style! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - vintage J Press

View attachment 49074 View attachment 49075 View attachment 49076 View attachment 49077 View attachment 49078
I see this similarly to how @eagle2250 does. You know it's a outré item that stands out and makes a statement as, I assume, you wanted it to. The key is that you can pull it off and you do. You have the confidence, sartorial chops, presence and catagious joy that make it work. You own it, are wearing it (not vice versa), are clearly enjoying it and want it to be noticed, good for you.

Have fun with it - post pandemic, I see it making an appearance at one of your museum galas.

never behind

I finally made it back to the office today. It was nice to “dress up” again!

Jacket: J Press
Shirt: Proper Cloth
PS: Kent Wang
Trousers: Santorelli via Nordstrom
Shoes: Cheaney

201A9660-AD75-488F-9D9B-364BCD6B4D73.jpeg

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.