upr_crust

Connoisseur
It's Friday, and pleasantly warm (if only intermittently sunny) here in NYC, and the most strenuous thing I must do this afternoon is to pick up a sport jacket from my alterations tailor, hence today's attire.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt, trousers and bow tie - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Kent Wang
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Face mask - Metropolitan Museum of Art

IMG_4418.JPG
IMG_4419.JPG
IMG_4420.JPG
IMG_4421.JPG
IMG_4422.JPG
IMG_4423.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC today is nigh about perfect for suit-wearing (and most other activities).

Suit - Brooks Brothers (Regent model)
Shirt - Dunhill
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Liberty of London
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Santoni, via Nordstrom's
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4427.JPG
IMG_4428.JPG
IMG_4429.JPG
IMG_4430.JPG
IMG_4431.JPG
IMG_4432.JPG

Jimbo2

The weather in NYC today is nigh about perfect for suit-wearing (and most other activities).

Suit - Brooks Brothers (Regent model)
Shirt - Dunhill
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Liberty of London
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shoes - Santoni, via Nordstrom's

View attachment 49273 View attachment 49274 View attachment 49275 View attachment 49276 View attachment 49277 View attachment 49278
Sir Crust: I have not even LOOKED at this web site since March 15! (that's page 129 here at AAAC.) There was no need, however, since sweat pants and slippers were the standard dress code elements, and don't usually get featured! I hate getting dressed again, since the dry cleaner "shrank" all my clothes. You still have all the expected awesomeness in your daily attire. I especially like today's tie. Is the dark background brown, perchance, to blend with the suit?
PS: Have you been experimenting with your neck tie knots? I like that also.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Sir Crust: I have not even LOOKED at this web site since March 15! (that's page 129 here at AAAC.) There was no need, however, since sweat pants and slippers were the standard dress code elements, and don't usually get featured! I hate getting dressed again, since the dry cleaner "shrank" all my clothes. You still have all the expected awesomeness in your daily attire. I especially like today's tie. Is the dark background brown, perchance, to blend with the suit?
PS: Have you been experimenting with your neck tie knots? I like that also.
Yours is a common story during the pandemic - living in sweat pants, working from home, and the dry cleaner "shrinking" all your clothes. Thank you for the compliments - to answer your questions in re: the tie, the background is dark blue, with small light blue dot alternating with larger orange ones.

I tied my tie today in a half Windsor, rather than my more standard double four-in-hand, as the collar spread of today's shirt seemed to require it.

A great Autumn outfit and reminder what a return to normalcy would look like!
Let us hope that we all get to return to "normal" at some point!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather has remained dry and relatively cool here in NYC. Today's ensemble was concocted with my two usual elements - whim and caprice. Today's shirt has been sitting in my shirt closet, unworn, for a very long time, and today's suit was next in rotation. I opted for a very monochromatic look for today, thinking that the rather vivid striping of today's shirt would be the statement maker for today's look, as much as I generally find little favor with monochrome outfits in general - the exception proves the rule.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shirt - Polo Ralph Lauren
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - vintage no name brand

IMG_4435.JPG
IMG_4437.JPG
IMG_4438.JPG
IMG_4439.JPG
IMG_4440.JPG
IMG_4441.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The weather has remained dry and relatively cool here in NYC. Today's ensemble was concocted with my two usual elements - whim and caprice. Today's shirt has been sitting in my shirt closet, unworn, for a very long time, and today's suit was next in rotation. I opted for a very monochromatic look for today, thinking that the rather vivid striping of today's shirt would be the statement maker for today's look, as much as I generally find little favor with monochrome outfits in general - the exception proves the rule.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft, London
Shirt - Polo Ralph Lauren
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - vintage no name brand

View attachment 49326 View attachment 49327 View attachment 49328 View attachment 49329 View attachment 49330 View attachment 49331

You can see and "feel" the quality of that suit. And, yes, I agree, the shirt adds the right pop.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today has been a casual day for me, doing chores around the house, one of which was a review of my suit collection, and my tie collection, with an eye for "de-accessioning" items which no longer fit the bill, as storage space in a Manhattan apartment is always at a premium. So, soon to be available for sale at a charity shop near you (assuming that you live in the metro NYC area), here's what I will no longer be wearing today, or any other day.

The blue suit is a JAB Signature Platinum suit, bought as a "crime of opportunity" (marked down by about 90% of its original retail price). It took some tailoring, both by JAB and my own alterations tailor to make it work, but somehow, I never really warmed to the suit thereafter, which is something of a shame, as the fabric is actually quite nice.

The black stripe suit is a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Regent model suit, which I found at deep discount at the Brooks branch in Boston, when I was there on vacation some 12-15 years ago. It was Italian-made, and when I was heftier, it fit better, but after attempts to have it altered to fit the somewhat smaller me, it never really worked. I last wore it to a wedding last summer, and had not reached for it since.

The greyish-brown (brownish-grey?) suit is a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald model, purchased some 11 years ago, in a maelstrom of retail therapy immediately following the death of my first husband - one of three suits purchased from Brooks Brothers within a week (I still have the other two, which fit better than this one).

The ties are, from left to right, Damiano Presta; Salvatore Ferragamo; Hermes; Paul Stuart; Burberry; Brooks Brothers 346; Brooks Brothers; De l'sle; Daniel de Fasson; Chinese-made "Hermes"; and Tucci. Some were purchases, others presents - and my apologies to any donors of these ties to me, in advance. Neckties are a very tricky thing to purchase for someone else.

We here define ourselves by what we wear. This afternoon, I am defining myself by what I no longer wish to wear.

IMG_4444.JPG
IMG_4445.JPG
IMG_4446.JPG
IMG_4447.JPG

G

Guest-879179

Today has been a casual day for me, doing chores around the house, one of which was a review of my suit collection, and my tie collection, with an eye for "de-accessioning" items which no longer fit the bill, as storage space in a Manhattan apartment is always at a premium. So, soon to be available for sale at a charity shop near you (assuming that you live in the metro NYC area), here's what I will no longer be wearing today, or any other day.

The blue suit is a JAB Signature Platinum suit, bought as a "crime of opportunity" (marked down by about 90% of its original retail price). It took some tailoring, both by JAB and my own alterations tailor to make it work, but somehow, I never really warmed to the suit thereafter, which is something of a shame, as the fabric is actually quite nice.

The black stripe suit is a Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece Regent model suit, which I found at deep discount at the Brooks branch in Boston, when I was there on vacation some 12-15 years ago. It was Italian-made, and when I was heftier, it fit better, but after attempts to have it altered to fit the somewhat smaller me, it never really worked. I last wore it to a wedding last summer, and had not reached for it since.

The greyish-brown (brownish-grey?) suit is a Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald model, purchased some 11 years ago, in a maelstrom of retail therapy immediately following the death of my first husband - one of three suits purchased from Brooks Brothers within a week (I still have the other two, which fit better than this one).

The ties are, from left to right, Damiano Presta; Salvatore Ferragamo; Hermes; Paul Stuart; Burberry; Brooks Brothers 346; Brooks Brothers; De l'sle; Daniel de Fasson; Chinese-made "Hermes"; and Tucci. Some were purchases, others presents - and my apologies to any donors of these ties to me, in advance. Neckties are a very tricky thing to purchase for someone else.

We here define ourselves by what we wear. This afternoon, I am defining myself by what I no longer wish to wear.

View attachment 49370 View attachment 49371 View attachment 49372 View attachment 49373
All 3 suits are wonderful, especially the blue one. You must keep a spread sheet of sorts to date your clothes. I put the purchase date on my shoe boxes, and accidentally mentioned that fact at a party once. I am still reminded of my peculiar habit occasionally.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
All 3 suits are wonderful, especially the blue one. You must keep a spread sheet of sorts to date your clothes. I put the purchase date on my shoe boxes, and accidentally mentioned that fact at a party once. I am still reminded of my peculiar habit occasionally.
The spreadsheet that I maintain of my suits is my spotty recollections, maintained in my head, though, considering my acquisitive habits, it would have been interesting for me to maintain a list of where and when I acquired things. Sometimes I can tell how old something is by it presence in digital photos, which are conveniently dated.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC has cooled off a bit, allowing one to indulge in fabrics heavier than linen and tropical weight wool. This has given me the chance to give my newest suit a proper maiden voyage. As the suit is from New & Lingwood, and because I can, I have tried to put together as many items from N & L in this outfit as I could - just to see if it could be done.

My husband and I are also celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary today, with dinner out this evening, and when one dines out in NYC these days, one is literally "out" - today's flannel might come in handy with the temperature drop at sunset.

Suit, tie, braces and face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Chester Barrie via Austin Reed (both entities now defunct, alas)
Cufflinks - custom made - British Columbian jade on 14k gold
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni manufacture)

IMG_4449.JPG
IMG_4451.JPG
IMG_4452.JPG
IMG_4453.JPG
IMG_4454.JPG
IMG_4455.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The weather in NYC has cooled off a bit, allowing one to indulge in fabrics heavier than linen and tropical weight wool. This has given me the chance to give my newest suit a proper maiden voyage. As the suit is from New & Lingwood, and because I can, I have tried to put together as many items from N & L in this outfit as I could - just to see if it could be done.

My husband and I are also celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary today, with dinner out this evening, and when one dines out in NYC these days, one is literally "out" - today's flannel might come in handy with the temperature drop at sunset.

View attachment 49393 View attachment 49394 View attachment 49395 View attachment 49396 View attachment 49397 View attachment 49398
Happy Anniversary, my friend. You are dressed to the nines, as usual...May you and your husband's night out be an enjoyable one! ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur

View attachment 49393 View attachment 49394 View attachment 49395 View attachment 49396 View attachment 49397 View attachment 49398
Happy anniversary. Love the outfit; the tie is stunning.

I remember sharing the beautiful pictures from your wedding with my girlfriend. Hard to believe it's been five years already.

Here's to many, many more happy anniversaries for you two.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Happy Anniversary, my friend. You are dressed to the nines, as usual...May you and your husband's night out be an enjoyable one! ;)
Happy anniversary. Love the outfit; the tie is stunning.

I remember sharing the beautiful pictures from your wedding with my girlfriend. Hard to believe it's been five years already.

Here's to many, many more happy anniversaries for you two.
Thank you gentlemen both, for the compliments and the many good wishes.

Attached please find a couple of photos from yesterday - one of myself in the Greco-Roman galleries at the Metropolitan Museum, the other of us at dinner outside at the Leopard at des Artistes.

PXL_20200918_201113945.jpg
PXL_20200918_231622793.NIGHT.jpg

Howard

Connoisseur

Happy Anniversary.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather continues sunny and comfortable here in NYC. After a day of multiple errands yesterday (including a fitting with my alterations tailor, who is putting back the shape into a couple of my BB MTM suits I had let out a year ago, during a period of relative fatness - I should have them back later this week), I am back to suits.

Someone asked me recently about a source for collar bars, which put the idea into my head to actually wear one today - I am easily suggestible.

Suit, tie, shoes and braces - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, London
Pocket square - Robert Talbott

IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4459.JPG
IMG_4460.JPG
IMG_4461.JPG
IMG_4462.JPG
IMG_4463.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
⇧ I love that suit. The material, cut, color, fit - just love it.

After years of trying and never making it through a single day without my collar bar popping off of one side or the other, I gave up on them completely and moved on to tab or pin collars. Kudos to you, as I could never get the bar to stay in place for an entire day.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.