upr_crust

Connoisseur
Everyone has their own personal Krytons, their own Borgs, those things against which resistance is futile. For myself, sartorially, Charvet ties come as close as anything to that state, especially when heavily marked down (as such things can be in the post-Xmas sales). Thus it was with me last week - my wardrobe is heavier by four Charvet ties, courtesy of Bergdorf Goodman, and some very healthy discounts.

Today's tie was the first acquired, with today's suit (my newest one) in mind. The rust windowpane in this dark navy suit has made me consider color combos with navy that I've not thought about before.

A photo of the four ties in question is posted below. I will see if I can cycle through them all by the week's end.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Brooks Brothers
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC
Face mask - New & Lingwood
IMG_4965.JPG
IMG_4966.JPG
IMG_4967.JPG
IMG_4968.JPG
IMG_4969.JPG
IMG_4970.JPG
IMG_4971.JPG
IMG_4972.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun has returned to NYC, though warmth has not, to any great degree, and the initial cycle through my newest clutch of Charvet ties continues. Although today's suit is a bit light (both in weight and in color) for a Tuesday in January, I opted for it, just because . . .

Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Tiffany
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Lock, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_4975.JPG
IMG_4976.JPG
IMG_4977.JPG
IMG_4978.JPG
IMG_4979.JPG
IMG_4980.JPG
IMG_4981.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC continues to be seasonably cold and dry, and the debuts of new Charvet ties continues, with a little "compare and contrast" of nailhead suits from yesterday to today - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole vs. New & Lingwood.

Suit, braces & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The Queen's Gallery, Buckingham Palace
Pocket square - no brand name
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson, London
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_4984.JPG
IMG_4985.JPG
IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4987.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4989.JPG
IMG_4990.JPG

Upr_Crust,

I've enjoyed scrolling back over the past few months.

Two things have struck me as you've gone through your "stock of professionally laundered shirts", (in light of the lack of said service available to you).

1. I would have loved to have seen your closet in early March.

2. I would hate to see your laundry hamper today!!

I decided to go through this thread as I made a conscious decision after the first of the year to return to our pre-Covid dress code, (proper suit and tie), vs. the steady degradation of Corporate Casual in our office.

Funny how I actually felt a bit out of place last Monday, however our Owner did thank me.

That feeling has passed!

While I most likely won't post pix, yesterday was fun with a Navy HF Addison with fine p/s, a light blue patterned Dunhill tie, black AE Warwicks with a black Trafalgar belt, (I like their belts!).

Can't remember shirt brand but a very fine white herringbone pattern with regular cuffs. I don't wear a pocket square or hat and a scarf up here in CNY is typically worn when the temps dip below 20!

So compared to you and Bernoulli I dress like an undertaker but at 5'6" I find it hard to wear any other patterned suit besides solid, pinstripe or fine glen plaid, and the last time I wore braces my then 10 year old daughter could not suppress an innocent bellow laugh...and they were navy blue, quite conservative...the little twit...Can't wait until some young man starts calling...I'll wear them to the door .

I do envy your accessories...some of your cuff links are wonderful. I have a growing collection of perhaps 60 pairs, my favorites as of today are the old Art Deco Kum Aparts, but for some reason I'm tempted to pull out some of the over the top 70's style mesh ones for the 2 days a week I'm driving 2.5 hours to tour sites....With my hand(s) on the wheel I can amuse myself for a bit!

Yonkle

Starting Member
Upr_Crust,

Two things have struck me as you've gone through your "stock of professionally laundered shirts", (in light of the lack of said service available to you).

I decided to go through this thread as I made a conscious decision after the first of the year to return to our pre-Covid dress code, (proper suit and tie), vs. the steady degradation of Corporate Casual in our office.

Funny how I actually felt a bit out of place last Monday, however our Owner did thank me.

That feeling has passed!

While I most likely won't post pix, yesterday was fun with a Navy HF Addison with fine p/s, a light blue patterned Dunhill tie, black AE Warwicks with a black Trafalgar belt, (I like their belts!).

Can't remember shirt brand but a very fine white herringbone pattern with regular cuffs. I don't wear a pocket square or hat and a scarf up here in CNY is typically worn when the temps dip below 20!

So compared to you and Bernoulli I dress like an undertaker but at 5'6" I find it hard to wear any other patterned suit besides solid, pinstripe or fine glen plaid, and the last time I wore braces my then 10 year old daughter could not suppress an innocent bellow laugh...and they were navy blue, quite conservative...the little twit...Can't wait until some young man starts calling...I'll wear them to the door .

I do envy your accessories...some of your cuff links are wonderful. I have a growing collection of perhaps 60 pairs, my favorites as of today are the old Art Deco Kum Aparts, but for some reason I'm tempted to pull out some of the over the top 70's style mesh ones for the 2 days a week I'm driving 2.5 hours to tour sites....With my hand(s) on the wheel I can amuse myself for a bit!
Where in CNY? I'm in Syracuse

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC remains slightly warmer than normal, with a mix of sun and clouds, and the final day of Charvet tie debuts continues today. When I decide what I'm going to wear on a particular day, it is usually driven by one article of clothing which catches my fancy. For today's attire, I based it all on what pieces I liked best with today's tie, for good or ill.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's NYC
Topcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_4993.JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_4995.JPG
IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_4998.JPG
IMG_4999.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Dear Garbanzo,

Thank you for your observations on my prior posts. Rest assured that I am not facing nine months' worth of shirt laundering at this time - shirts were washed and ironed as they were used. Otherwise, I would not have needed a laundry hamper as much as an entire laundry room.

Bravo to you for returning to a pre-COVID dress code. Dressing up and looking good do bring some form of self-satisfaction, a positive reinforcement of one's self-regard (despite your daughter's impromptu review of your braces-wearing).

As for cufflinks, I own somewhere above 100 pairs of them, though none of the funky '70s wrap-around ones. I did have a particularly gaudy pair of them - gold mesh, with large fake peridots - which had been my father's. I had found them cleaning out his home after he died, and initially I questioned what insanity had struck him to buy them , until I remembered that I had bought them for him as a birthday present, when I was 16 - the bad taste of one's youth comes back to haunt one. (Peridots, fake or not, are the birthstone for August, the month of my father's birth.)

Today's bling, for me, are blue topazes, set in sterling silver - a recent acquisition.

Upr_Crust,

That feeling has passed!

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The weather in NYC remains slightly warmer than normal, with a mix of sun and clouds, and the final day of Charvet tie debuts continues today. When I decide what I'm going to wear on a particular day, it is usually driven by one article of clothing which catches my fancy. For today's attire, I based it all on what pieces I liked best with today's tie, for good or ill.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's NYC
Topcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 53452 View attachment 53453 View attachment 53454 View attachment 53455 View attachment 53456 View attachment 53457 View attachment 53458
Outstanding! You could pass as the US Ambassador to the Court of St. Jame's!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather has turned overcast here in NYC, with rain predicted for this evening, but only moderately cold. The parade of new Charvet ties, which I expected to end yesterday, was extended, due to an unexpected price drop for Charvets at Saks Fifth Avenue (their sale prices were nowhere near as low as Bergdorf's, until they added some extra discounts yesterday). I had seen today's tie, and had liked it, for its color compatibility with my newest suit (navy with rust windowpane), but hadn't taken the leap until the price dropped 70% off retail. Timing is everything, as they do say . . .

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The London Badge & Button Company
Braces, scarf, & face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5002.JPG
IMG_5003.JPG
IMG_5004.JPG
IMG_5005.JPG
IMG_5006.JPG
IMG_5007.JPG
IMG_5008.JPG

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.