wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
It has occurred to me that, when I emerge from my home dressed as I usually am when posting in this forum, that, in comparison to fellow citizens, I appear like a Spanish galleon in full sail in a sea of motorized dinghies - a bit grandiose and out of step with the current world. So be it. For better or worse, I enjoy exercising the visual vocabulary of menswear, manipulating line, form, color and texture to whatever visual effect I deem most pleasing, in this, one of most temporary of civilized pleasures, dressing well.

As I said previously, my outfits are assembled via the "pachinko method" - I decide that I want to wear a particular item, and then try to build an outfit from there, attempting also to cycle through my wardrobe, as things fall into place.

Today, I started with today's tie - a sale item from earlier in the winter sale season that I'd not yet worn. Today's suit was next on the rack to be worn, and I've always liked striped shirts with this suit - hence, an outfit.

Suit, braces & shoes - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Turnbull & Asser, London
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - David Donohue, via Cable Car Clothiers, San Francisco
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason, London
Hat - Lock, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood, London

View attachment 53708 View attachment 53709 View attachment 53710 View attachment 53711 View attachment 53712 View attachment 53713 View attachment 53714
Very sharp; I especially like the shirt!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun is shining, periodically, in NYC, and it is seasonably cold, but not overly so.

Today's suit was literally the next in line on the rod, although more suited to warmer temperatures, and not, perhaps, my wisest suit purchase, as the trouser legs are tapered in ways that my large calves are not - the honeyed words of my salesman at Stuart's (and the suit's sale price, most likely) overtook my critical faculties. However, I do like the fabric pattern, which is usually my Achilles heel when it comes to clothing purchases.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & cufflinks - Trywhitt
Tie, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Ashear
Shoes - Carmina, via the Armoury, NYC
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand

IMG_5059.JPG
IMG_5060.JPG
IMG_5061.JPG
IMG_5062.JPG
IMG_5063.JPG
IMG_5064.JPG
IMG_5065.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
There has been a definite temperature drop here in NYC, making it possible for me to don today's overcoat, which is very warm - too warm until temperatures go below freezing.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - London York
Cufflinks - Joseph A Bank
Braces, scarf, & face mask - New & Lingwood
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_5068.JPG
IMG_5069.JPG
IMG_5070.JPG
IMG_5071.JPG
IMG_5072.JPG
IMG_5073.JPG
IMG_5074.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today's posting is all about alterations and repair. Today's suit is some 11 years old, and today's shoes are probably close to 10 years old. I recently had the shoes resoled/reheeled, and the trousers of today's suit shortened a bit, as I seem to have shrunk a bit from 11 years ago.

For reference, I've included a photo of myself from November 2009, wearing the suit for the first time after purchase - my first suit from New & Lingwood, something of a "bucket list" item at the time, and a recent photo of today's shoes, prior to repair.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, NYC
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

DSCF1357 (2).JPG
IMG_4994.JPG
IMG_5077.JPG
IMG_5078.JPG
IMG_5079.JPG
IMG_5080.JPG
IMG_5081.JPG
IMG_5082.JPG
IMG_5083.JPG

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Today's posting is all about alterations and repair. Today's suit is some 11 years old, and today's shoes are probably close to 10 years old. I recently had the shoes resoled/reheeled, and the trousers of today's suit shortened a bit, as I seem to have shrunk a bit from 11 years ago.

For reference, I've included a photo of myself from November 2009, wearing the suit for the first time after purchase - my first suit from New & Lingwood, something of a "bucket list" item at the time, and a recent photo of today's shoes, prior to repair.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 53926 View attachment 53927 View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53930 View attachment 53931 View attachment 53932 View attachment 53933 View attachment 53934
You are looking great...and clean shaven is your best way to go! Just one guys opinion, but there you have it. Have a great day. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 53926 View attachment 53927 View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53930 View attachment 53931 View attachment 53932 View attachment 53933 View attachment 53934

I'm liking that top photo when you sported a mustache and beard.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is sunny, cold, and a bit windy today, but not anywhere nearly as cold as tomorrow is predicted to be, so I've opted for my second-heaviest coat, and a two-piece flannel suit, saving a three-piece flannel and my camel hair polo coat for tomorrow.

I decided to experiment a bit with pattern mixing - the two stripes of the suit and the shirt, and the patterns of the tie and the braces. I believe that I've kept the color scheme simple enough for all parties to work and play nicely together, but that judgment I leave, ultimately, to the eye of the beholder.

Suit, braces, face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - vintage and non-branded
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Scarf - Paul Stuart

IMG_5086.JPG
IMG_5087.JPG
IMG_5088.JPG
IMG_5089.JPG
IMG_5090.JPG
IMG_5091.JPG
IMG_5092.JPG

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The weather is sunny, cold, and a bit windy today, but not anywhere nearly as cold as tomorrow is predicted to be, so I've opted for my second-heaviest coat, and a two-piece flannel suit, saving a three-piece flannel and my camel hair polo coat for tomorrow.

I decided to experiment a bit with pattern mixing - the two stripes of the suit and the shirt, and the patterns of the tie and the braces. I believe that I've kept the color scheme simple enough for all parties to work and play nicely together, but that judgment I leave, ultimately, to the eye of the beholder.

Suit, braces, face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - vintage and non-branded
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Scarf - Paul Stuart

View attachment 53983 View attachment 53984 View attachment 53985 View attachment 53986 View attachment 53987 View attachment 53988 View attachment 53989
Again with the Charvet ties? Color me jealous.

fred johnson

upr_crust

Connoisseur
When I was in elementary school, I remember the title of one of the books which were used to teach us reading - "If I Were Going". My attire for today is a variant on that - "If I Were Going Outside", as it's currently -5C, with a wind chill factor making it feel as if it were -14C. The jury is still out on whether I face the great outdoors today or not, but, if I do, it will be with style.

Suit - Brooks Brothers MTM (Southwick)
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ashear (I would say "vintage", as it's about 40 years old, but, as I was the original purchaser when new, I am unsure if such a designation applies - perhaps, just "old", like its owner.)
Boots - Cheaney, via Harrods
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Seifter Associates
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5095.JPG
IMG_5099.JPG
IMG_5100.JPG
IMG_5101.JPG
IMG_5102.JPG
IMG_5103.JPG
IMG_5104.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun has returned to NYC, after two days of snow, much of which still litters the streets and sidewalks of this fair city. I am scheduled to do some informal sartorial mentoring this afternoon, which will involve a good deal of walking, hence the "vertical mullet" nature of today's attire - business up top, party down below, if you will - to navigate whatever mounds of dirty snow I might encounter.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Kamakura
Tie - JAB
Vest - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square, scarf, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Levi's
Boots - Magnanni
Cap - Paul Stuart

IMG_5108.JPG
IMG_5109.JPG
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG
IMG_5112.JPG
IMG_5113.JPG
IMG_5114.JPG

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange