Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The sun has returned to NYC, after two days of snow, much of which still litters the streets and sidewalks of this fair city. I am scheduled to do some informal sartorial mentoring this afternoon, which will involve a good deal of walking, hence the "vertical mullet" nature of today's attire - business up top, party down below, if you will - to navigate whatever mounds of dirty snow I might encounter.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Kamakura
Tie - JAB
Vest - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square, scarf, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Levi's
Boots - Magnanni
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 54213 View attachment 54214 View attachment 54215 View attachment 54216 View attachment 54217 View attachment 54218 View attachment 54219
Looks great - love the vest and jeans combo.

FYI, I was out a few hours ago and the puddles at some corners are really deep. Hence, are those boots that can get completely submerged in water? I had on Bean boots which are great for days like this, yours look a bit too nice IMHO for today.

upr_crust

Connoisseur

FYI, I was out a few hours ago and the puddles at some corners are really deep. Hence, are those boots that can get completely submerged in water? I had on Bean boots which are great for days like this, yours look a bit too nice IMHO for today.
I am hoping not to find impromptu Lake Superiors at the local street corners. Today's boots are rubber-soled, and have waved off slight incursions of snow and wet, but they are not submersibles. We shall see how I fare . . .

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I am hoping not to find impromptu Lake Superiors at the local street corners. Today's boots are rubber-soled, and have waved off slight incursions of snow and wet, but they are not submersibles. We shall see how I fare . . .
With attention to detail, you can probably avoid the mini-lakes, but it will take some work. Good luck, let us know how you do.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I was able to walk from Murray Hill, through Grand Central, up Madison Avenue to 57th St, over to Lexington, and back to Murray Hill without encountering an insurmountable lake, so my luck held out.
Good for you. 57th and Lex had me wading ankle deep and thanking LL Bean - I'm glad you did better than I.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

I too love that vest of upr_crust's. Every time he wears it, I get this burning urge to hunt one down and buy it...and then I go through a six week process of withdrawal! LOL. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The rain in NYC passed through quickly this morning, and temperatures have moderated themselves, allowing a wider range of possibilities for attire for today.

One of the Internet sites to which I post photos on a regular basis, in honor of both Chinese New Year (February 12th) and Valentine’s Day, offered up a challenge to its posters to wear red. Taking the interpretation that “red” also meant “burgundy”, I constructed today’s ensemble.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni)
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf & face mask - New & Lingwood
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5117.JPG
IMG_5118.JPG
IMG_5119.JPG
IMG_5120.JPG
IMG_5121.JPG
IMG_5122.JPG
IMG_5123.JPG

bernoulli

My tie is cooler than yours (a gift from an Italian senator, whose politics I disagree with but is a dear friend nonetheless). As is the lining (my tailor gave me a gift of a pocket square made out of the lining fabric so I could match lining and PS, which I find quite amusing). I am finally happy with the complement to this jacket, which is not the easiest to find something to pair it with. And no, I don't take myself very seriously.

Happy Niu Year everybody (Niu is the Chinese word for Ox).

IMG_33383.jpg
image0 (2).jpg
IMG_33423.jpg
IMG_33573.jpg
IMG_1401 (1).jpg
IMG_33573.jpg
IMG_1401 (1).jpg

Last edited:

upr_crust

Connoisseur
A special Saturday edition of posting for me, as it's been a very casual week so far. Today's jacket is my latest "crime of opportunity" - a sale item from my local branch of New & Lingwood, a jacket of very lightweight construction - no lining, no shoulder pads. As it is, I am on my way this afternoon to pick up my second-latest "crime", a suit from Paul Stuart, which should be ready from alterations - photos to be posted soon.

Jacket & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Cufflinks - Trywhitt
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Laird, London . . .

IMG_5127.JPG
IMG_5128.JPG
IMG_5129.JPG
IMG_5130.JPG
IMG_5131.JPG
IMG_5132.JPG
IMG_5133.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Yet another weekend posting for me - an unusual event, but it is Valentine's Day, and will be an early dinner out to celebrate, and also the debut of my latest suit, yet another item from Phineas Cole at Paul Stuart, which I thought might be of interest.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - vintage, no known maker
Boots - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Cap - Paul Stuart

IMG_5136.JPG
IMG_5137.JPG
IMG_5138.JPG
IMG_5139.JPG
IMG_5140.JPG
IMG_5141.JPG

Attachments

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Yet another weekend posting for me - an unusual event, but it is Valentine's Day, and will be an early dinner out to celebrate, and also the debut of my latest suit, yet another item from Phineas Cole at Paul Stuart, which I thought might be of interest.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - vintage, no known maker
Boots - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 54686 View attachment 54687 View attachment 54688 View attachment 54689 View attachment 54690 View attachment 54691
Love, love, love your new suit - the material and pattern are beautiful. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

It's hard to tell from the pic, is it a true winter weight material?

And kudos on the side tabs.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.