upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC is sunny and 17C/62F. I will be venturing out soon to run some errands, for the first time this year without an overcoat for insulation. We shall see if I am chilled, or comfortable with only a hat to preserve heat.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Polo Ralph Lauren
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Edward Green
Hat - Selentino
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5253.JPG
IMG_5254.JPG
IMG_5255.JPG
IMG_5256.JPG
IMG_5257.JPG
IMG_5258.JPG

Last edited:

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC continues to be sunny, and, though cooler than yesterday, unseasonably (and pleasantly) warmer than normal. A little voice whispered "lilac" in my ear, it seems, and suddenly, my world went all purple today.

Also, my husband and I made a lightning raid on Paul Stuart's on my husband's lunch hour. My husband, of course, found nothing to buy in the store (though he did make a purchase online later), but I found a sports jacket that seems ready for me to take it home - an excellent fit, off the rack - a quick selfie is included below.

I got home, and braces ordered from Albert Thurston arrived in the mail. A quick shot of them is also included.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Battistoni
Braces (on me) - Lewin
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shoes - Crockett & Jones
Hat - Laird
Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Braces (in box) - Albert Thurston

IMG_5261.JPG
IMG_5262.JPG
IMG_5263.JPG
IMG_5264.JPG
IMG_5265.JPG
IMG_5266.JPG
IMG_5268.JPG
IMG_20210310_125928.jpg
IMG_20210310_132346.jpg

HoxtonBridge

Starting Member
The weather in NYC continues to be sunny, and, though cooler than yesterday, unseasonably (and pleasantly) warmer than normal. A little voice whispered "lilac" in my ear, it seems, and suddenly, my world went all purple today.

Also, my husband and I made a lightning raid on Paul Stuart's on my husband's lunch hour. My husband, of course, found nothing to buy in the store (though he did make a purchase online later), but I found a sports jacket that seems ready for me to take it home - an excellent fit, off the rack - a quick selfie is included below.

I got home, and braces ordered from Albert Thurston arrived in the mail. A quick shot of them is also included.

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Hilditch & Key
Tie - Battistoni
Braces (on me) - Lewin
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shoes - Crockett & Jones
Hat - Laird
Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Braces (in box) - Albert Thurston

View attachment 55530 View attachment 55531 View attachment 55532 View attachment 55533 View attachment 55534 View attachment 55535 View attachment 55536 View attachment 55537 View attachment 55538
Stunning ensemble.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather has warmed up again here in NYC, to the point where a hat will be superfluous, hence no lid in today's attire. The point of focus for today's ensemble are the braces - newly arrived from Albert Thurston.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - J Fitzpatrick

IMG_5271.JPG
IMG_5272.JPG
IMG_5273.JPG
IMG_5274.JPG
IMG_5275.JPG
IMG_5276.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather remains unseasonably mild here in NYC, and dry, making it ideal suit-wearing weather.

Please note that I dress, ultimately, for my own pleasure. I think of myself as an ordinary person, in the last gasping days of middle age, and of an ordinary appearance - neither excessively short or tall, nor excessively thin or fat, and when I leave my house, I have no expectations that my appearance will be noted by strangers in public, for any particular reason.

My expectations, apparently, are at variance with reality, at least in some cases. I had occasion to walk through the men's department at Saks yesterday afternoon, something I do, on average, about twice a month, browsing to see what is being shown, and, more importantly, what might be marked down. Yesterday, as I was passing through, I was approached by one of the sales staff. The following conversation ensued.

"Hi, may I ask you a question?"

"Sure."

"Who makes your suits for you? The other salesmen and I were talking about you, and were wondering where your suits come from."

Now, the idea that the salesmen at Saks know me on sight, and are curious as to whom my suitmaker might be (to the point that it is a topic of conversation) gave me a moment's pause. I sometimes forget the impact of my appearance.

Yesterday's suit happened to be a Phineas Cole from Paul Stuart. I decided not to tell him that it was a sale item as well - I didn't wish to be held responsible for any apoplexy this additional bit of information might cause.

Onwards to today.

Suit - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

IMG_5279.JPG
IMG_5280.JPG
IMG_5281.JPG
IMG_5282.JPG
IMG_5283.JPG
IMG_5284.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is bright but quite cold in NYC - a high of 4C/40F is expected this afternoon, with significant wind chills.

There was a recent inquiry as to whether or not I had ever worn an ascot/day cravat. As it happens, I own exactly two such articles of clothing - one a purchase from long ago, the other a more recent gift from a friend who thought (and might well still think) that I could carry off the look. In the interest of sartorial science, then, today, I am seeing whether I can successfully emulate David Niven, and not veer precipitously into Thurston Howell III territory - whether I will appear a gentleman in a day cravat, or just look like an asc-hole. Photos of both are included below.

Combined with this experiment today are my latest footwear acquisition - something of an accident. I had toyed with the idea of buying today's shoes, but had decided that the purchase was frivolous and unnecessary, even by my own very loose definitions of "need". My husband, less over-shod than I, saw today's shoes on the website for Paul Stuart, at a most favorable price, and ordered them in his proper UK size (the shoes are listed in UK sizes), he being exactly one half-size larger in shoes than I am.

The shoes arrived last Friday evening, and, upon trying them on, my husband found them too tight, by about a half size. I tried them on, and they fit me perfectly. I promptly ordered a pair for my husband, a half size up. Problem solved.

Sports jacket - Gieves & Hawkes
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Ascots - both no name brands
Pocket squares - yellow - Polo Ralph Lauren; blue - Robert Talbott
Trousers - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand (most likely Crockett & Jones, model name Hawthorne)
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Cap - Stetson, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_5287.JPG
IMG_5288.JPG
IMG_5289.JPG
IMG_5290.JPG
IMG_5291.JPG
IMG_5292.JPG
IMG_5293.JPG
IMG_5294.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
It's a grey, cold day here in NYC - a reversion to winter wardrobe is called for.

Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Wedgwood
Pocket square - vintage Ashear
Boots - Paul Smith
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf & face mask - New & Lingwood
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5297.JPG
IMG_5298.JPG
IMG_5299.JPG
IMG_5300.JPG
IMG_5301.JPG
IMG_5302.JPG
IMG_5303.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today in NYC, the temperatures have warmed to an average seasonal level, but the sun is obscured by clouds, though it has remained dry, for today at least (tomorrow promises to be a monsoon).

Meanwhile, the design problem for the day is - how to reconcile the wearing of today's suit, with the seasonal mandate of wearing green for St. Patrick's Day. I have substituted much bluer, cooler greens for the grassy Kelly greens normally seen on this day, which I believe look better with today's suit.

I also had to make an emergency replacement for today's proposed braces. The set shown with a pattern of the New York skyline turned out to have a broken adjuster (I now remember why I don't wear them any more), and I needed a quick substitute, hence the plain blue ones in the standing photo. Grrr.

Shirt & tie - Brooks Brothers
Braces - NYC Skyline - source unknown; plain blue - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Frank Stella, NYC
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_5306.JPG
IMG_5307.JPG
IMG_5308.JPG
IMG_5309.JPG
IMG_5310.JPG
IMG_5311.JPG
IMG_5312.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
After yesterday's monsoon in NYC, which I spent sequestered with my tax returns ( a useful thing to do on a rainy day), the sun has returned to New York, albeit not with much in the way of warmth - my choices for suits were between three-piece and double-breasted - I took option #2.

Today's attire includes a debut for the tie, and a working debut for the shoes (the shoes I wore Monday, but, as it happened, I never left my apartment - today is their first real test drive). Both were ordered online from Paul Stuart, on the last gasping days of their clearance sale - I am nothing if not thrifty, for a spendthrift.

Suit, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie & shoes - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - DVVS, NYC (now defunct)
Pocket square - no name brand
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Lock, London

IMG_5315.JPG
IMG_5316.JPG
IMG_5317.JPG
IMG_5318.JPG
IMG_5319.JPG
IMG_5320.JPG
IMG_5321.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Spring has arrived in NYC, bringing with it sunshine and milder temperatures. When looking at the suit rotation today, this three-piece Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece spoke to me, striking me as the right weight for ambling about this afternoon.

One of the groups online to which I post with some regularity asked the question "How long did it take you to create your wardrobe?". I must have had this question in the back of my mind when assembling today's attire, as very little of it is new, as some of the pieces I have had for a very long time - trained as an art historian, academically, I am automatically something of an antiquarian, which today's getup seems to bear out.

Suit - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece (11.5 years)
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM (Unknown age, but most likely 15 years pr more)
Tie - Lewin (37 years - a souvenir of my first trip to London, October 1984)
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis for Scully & Scully, NYC (2 months)
Pocket square - (41 years - my first pocket square, acquired in NYC in 1980)
Vintage watch chain (inherited 2004)
Shoes - Allen Edmonds Seven (11 years)
Hat - Laird, London (2 years)
Face mask - New & Lingwood (1 year)

Included in today's photos is also today's wrist watch (yes, I know that it's redundant to wear both a wrist watch and a pocket watch - so sue me) - recently ransomed from Cartier, complete with a full servicing and a new watchband (watch acquired by my late husband in March 1985).

IMG_5324.JPG
IMG_5325.JPG
IMG_5326.JPG
IMG_5327.JPG
IMG_5328.JPG
IMG_5329.JPG
IMG_20210319_161208.jpg

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Spring has arrived in NYC, bringing with it sunshine and milder temperatures. When looking at the suit rotation today, this three-piece Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece spoke to me, striking me as the right weight for ambling about this afternoon.

One of the groups online to which I post with some regularity asked the question "How long did it take you to create your wardrobe?". I must have had this question in the back of my mind when assembling today's attire, as very little of it is new, as some of the pieces I have had for a very long time - trained as an art historian, academically, I am automatically something of an antiquarian, which today's getup seems to bear out.

Suit - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece (11.5 years)
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM (Unknown age, but most likely 15 years pr more)
Tie - Lewin (37 years - a souvenir of my first trip to London, October 1984)
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis for Scully & Scully, NYC (2 months)
Pocket square - (41 years - my first pocket square, acquired in NYC in 1980)
Vintage watch chain (inherited 2004)
Shoes - Allen Edmonds Seven (11 years)
Hat - Laird, London (2 years)
Face mask - New & Lingwood (1 year)

Included in today's photos is also today's wrist watch (yes, I know that it's redundant to wear both a wrist watch and a pocket watch - so sue me) - recently ransomed from Cartier, complete with a full servicing and a new watchband (watch acquired by my late husband in March 1985).

View attachment 56100 View attachment 56101 View attachment 56102 View attachment 56103 View attachment 56104 View attachment 56105 View attachment 56106
Today's outfit proves that quality stands the test of time. The watch is stunning.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.