bernoulli

Since I already did a power fit this week and the window for wearing 3-piece suits is closing fast, I wanted to break the formality of the fit with something different, hence the aubergine shoes. Being an academic has its privileges; purple shoes or not I am the best dressed in the business school by a huge margin. Also of note: this is one of the two suits I first commissioned and I can see all the mistakes (no gauntlet cuffs? Egads!) but I still like it very much (seven-button vest? That I don't regret).

Tie was a gift from @upr_crust, the master of us all (who gets the reference?).

IMG_42542.jpg
IMG_42552.jpg

IMG_4261.jpg

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Since I already did a power fit this week and the window for wearing 3-piece suits is closing fast, I wanted to break the formality of the fit with something different, hence the aubergine shoes. Being an academic has its privileges; purple shoes or not I am the best dressed in the business school by a huge margin. Also of note: this is one of the two suits I first commissioned and I can see all the mistakes (no gauntlet cuffs? Egads!) but I still like it very much (seven-button vest? That I don't regret).

Tie was a gift from @upr_crust, the master of us all (who gets the reference?).

View attachment 56133 View attachment 56134
View attachment 56135
My friend, you are looking great, but were it me, I would swap out the cream hued shoelaces for a dark brown or black pair. Just a matter of personal taste I suppose. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun is shining yet again in NYC, and the temperatures are warmer than average, yet cool enough to risk wearing flannel - giving one of my winter-sale indulgences an airing before spring takes over in full effect.

Please note there is a slight change of format in today's photos, due to technical issues with the autofocus function - my WFH husband gamely volunteered to be the auto timer and the tripod for some of today's shots.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Braces - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Pocket square - Ashear
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Hat - Selentino
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_5332.JPG
IMG_5333.JPG
IMG_5334.JPG
IMG_5338.JPG
IMG_5341.JPG
IMG_5343.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Today's posting is at the confluence of a group of disparate events, all of which has had an effect on my attire for today, and its recording for the assembled masses.

The most serious change has come about due to the home DSLR losing nearly all functionality - the touch screen, the autofocus, and the timer mechanism are all no longer available, forcing me to resort to the phone in my camera.

The weather has also played it part in the change of mode, from dressed up to dressed down - we are expecting heavy rains between now and tomorrow morning, prompting me to opt for a more casual look.

Finally, included in today's shots are a sample shot of my latest acquisition, an unconstructed sports jacket from Paul Stuart, retrieved from the store little more than an hour ago, just before the skies were due to open up.

For better or worse, then, proving that I can breathe without wearing a necktie.

Leather jacket - Marc New York/Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson, London
Cap & boots - Paul Stuart
Levi's

IMG_20210324_112216.jpg
IMG_20210324_113436.jpg
IMG_20210324_113600.jpg
IMG_20210324_113758.jpg
IMG_20210324_113850.jpg
IMG_20210324_121917.jpg

Tweedlover

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Today's posting is at the confluence of a group of disparate events, all of which has had an effect on my attire for today, and its recording for the assembled masses.

The most serious change has come about due to the home DSLR losing nearly all functionality - the touch screen, the autofocus, and the timer mechanism are all no longer available, forcing me to resort to the phone in my camera.

The weather has also played it part in the change of mode, from dressed up to dressed down - we are expecting heavy rains between now and tomorrow morning, prompting me to opt for a more casual look.

Finally, included in today's shots are a sample shot of my latest acquisition, an unconstructed sports jacket from Paul Stuart, retrieved from the store little more than an hour ago, just before the skies were due to open up.

For better or worse, then, proving that I can breathe without wearing a necktie.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Levi's

View attachment 56180 View attachment 56181 View attachment 56182 View attachment 56183 View attachment 56184 View attachment 56185
I like seeing you let your hair down-so to speak.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC is only slightly overcast, and is pleasantly (albeit, for March, unnaturally) warm. I was inspired to take today's suit out of the closet - the color always boosts my mood, and it seemed apropos of the afternoon's weather - a harbinger of "real spring".

I am still wrestling with attempting to get the same quality of photos from my phone (a One Plus Six, for those electronically inclined) as I did from the now defunct Canon Eos M6 - a work in progress . . .

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Carmina

IMG_20210325_122432.jpg
IMG_20210325_123631.jpg
IMG_20210325_124421.jpg
IMG_20210325_124625.jpg

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The weather in NYC is only slightly overcast, and is pleasantly (albeit, for March, unnaturally) warm. I was inspired to take today's suit out of the closet - the color always boosts my mood, and it seemed apropos of the afternoon's weather - a harbinger of "real spring".

I am still wrestling with attempting to get the same quality of photos from my phone (a One Plus Six, for those electronically inclined) as I did from the now defunct Canon Eos M6 - a work in progress . . .

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Carmina

View attachment 56221 View attachment 56222 View attachment 56223 View attachment 56224
The temps in our neighborhood are hitting the mid 90's this afternoon. If I were wearing a coat and tie, the tie would be loosened and the coat would be off! I seem to be going native. LOL. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is currently summer-y here in NYC, with temperatures maxing out at about 28C/82F, providing a perfect excuse for the use of a summer weight suit.

The learning curve with the camera phone continues to climb, although the "real" camera was easier and quicker to operate. Live and learn.

Today's selection of shoes representing the present, the future, and the past - the black Paul Stuart wing-tip tassel loafers, representing the present (what I am actually wearing this afternoon), the black patent leather Magnannis representing the future (a delivery received this morning - assuming that black-tie parties come back to life post-pandemic), and the black Bergdorf Goodman wing-tip double monk austerity brogues, and the Johnston & Murphy penny loafers representing the past (soon to be deposited at the East 23rd St. branch of Housing Works).

Shirt - The Shirt Store (long defunct)
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Braces - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - as described above

IMG_20210326_114250_Bokeh.jpg
IMG_20210326_125517.jpg
IMG_20210326_125800.jpg
IMG_20210326_125936.jpg
IMG_20210326_130857.jpg
IMG_20210326_131029.jpg
IMG_20210326_131139.jpg

Jeff84

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Levi's

View attachment 56180 View attachment 56181 View attachment 56182 View attachment 56183 View attachment 56184 View attachment 56185
I like this look.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
@upr_crust

Love the suede boots with the jeans.

If your Thursday Phineas Cole suit was a 40L, I'd be studying Cary Grant's moves from "To Catch a Thief" and I'd advise you to make sure all your windows and doors were locked.
Thanks, FF, for the compliments, and for the record, my suit from Thursday is a 42R, so you're out of luck for practicing your second-story skills. I even checked the website, and it's no longer showing as available in any size - so sorry. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC today is sunny but cool, with highs only expected to reach 13C/56F. Today's attire I would call "vaccination chic" - I have my second shot of Moderna scheduled for later this afternoon, and a short-sleeved shirt is required.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Boots - Paul Stuart

IMG_20210329_113544.jpg
IMG_20210329_114956.jpg
IMG_20210329_115553.jpg
IMG_20210329_115658.jpg
IMG_20210329_115806.jpg
IMG_20210329_120023.jpg

bernoulli

A backstory regarding this, which is one of my favorite, suits. I commissioned it early in my menswear journey, and it was a crime of opportunity; WW Chan has tons of fabrics on display in their shops, all of them carrying price tags from the time that the chain acquired or were given the rolls of fabrics. Some are 20+ years old, and carry old price tags. The salesman told me that he would gladly honor that price if I wanted to pick a fabric on display, which is what I did with this suit. It is a Zegna traveler fabric that has cost me much less than current Chan prices. But I almost did not do it. The reason? I was not confident I knew what I was doing and I kept reading that brown suits are for use in the country or some variation of that (brown suits are for suckers etc). Of course, I ended up picking the fabric and do not regret it. In the end, it has cost me the same as what WW Chan charges for a suit made on VBC fabric nowadays. Don't get me wrong, I am a huge fan of VBC and do not care about more expensive fabrics; both of my suits with fabrics by Zegna have been picked up in the same manner. Even if I don't care much about Zegna as a brand, a suit in a traveler fabric is very useful to me, as I travel a lot (well, not right now, but soon, I hope).

Have I become the biggest fan of brown suits? No, but I believe they are entirely appropriate for use in the "city", and I cherish the two or three I own. In fact, I would much rather wear brown than a dark grey suit (a caveat; I am an academic and thus do not need to follow any sort of company policy).

Moreover, I usually eschew stripped ties but I am coming around to this one. What is more, in the past I would not have chosen a brown tie with a brown suit (I have known to sport all-blue - Smurf - and all-grey outfits but not brown). I do enjoy the art of monochromatic pairing nowadays, something I have picked up from a poster on the other website.

Finally, a four-pattern combo for your appreciation. The patterns of the suit and the shirt are really subtle from a distance, so I think the combo is not gaudy.

IMG_4539 (1).jpg
IMG_4509 (1).jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun is shining, and it's pleasantly warm (for late March, at least), some 14C/58F here in NYC, and I thought that would be a great opportunity, before the weather gets too warm, to wear today's suit, a favorite of mine for the last 11 years (purchased in London in November 2009).

I am also celebrating the aftermath of the second shot of Moderna vaccine, received yesterday afternoon, which has had very few of the unpleasant side effects of the first shot, for which I am very grateful.

Suit, braces & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Boots - Grenson Masterpiece, private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock, London

IMG_20210330_112526.jpg
IMG_20210330_120447.jpg
IMG_20210330_121441.jpg
IMG_20210330_121552.jpg
IMG_20210330_121702.jpg
IMG_20210330_121840.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The day is overcast, threatening rain later in the afternoon, and, now fully recovered from Moderna shot #2, my afternoon's highlight will be a haircut. As it is, my barber's shop is steps away from New & Lingwood's shop on Lexington Avenue, which, weather permitting, might be a visit made after I've been properly sheared.

Sports jacket & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - David Donohue, via Cable Car Clothiers, San Francisco
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Trousers - Paul Stuart
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model name Cobham (with Dainite soles, perfect for a potentially rainy afternoon)
Hat - Christys, via Fortnum & Mason, London

IMG_20210331_120701.jpg
IMG_20210331_124958.jpg
IMG_20210331_125903.jpg
IMG_20210331_130023.jpg
IMG_20210331_130147.jpg
IMG_20210331_130356.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.