upr_crust

Connoisseur
After a night of rain, the sun is only faintly breaking through the clouds here in NYC, and we're quite a bit colder than we were yesterday, allowing another outing for today's three-piece flannel suit. My major task for the afternoon is a visit to my local DMV, to get an upgrade to my driver's license, so that it will be acceptable as ID when flying domestically. Let us hope that my choice of dates on which to perform this task - April 1st - is not indicative of a pranked outcome.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood

IMG_20210331_203506.jpg
IMG_20210401_114537.jpg
IMG_20210401_115441.jpg
IMG_20210401_115555.jpg
IMG_20210401_115705.jpg
IMG_20210401_115827.jpg

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
After a night of rain, the sun is only faintly breaking through the clouds here in NYC, and we're quite a bit colder than we were yesterday, allowing another outing for today's three-piece flannel suit. My major task for the afternoon is a visit to my local DMV, to get an upgrade to my driver's license, so that it will be acceptable as ID when flying domestically. Let us hope that my choice of dates on which to perform this task - April 1st - is not indicative of a pranked outcome.

Suit & shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - no name brand
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 56559 View attachment 56560 View attachment 56561 View attachment 56562 View attachment 56563 View attachment 56564
Best dressed man at the DMV today for sure.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
It would seem that Mother Nature's April Fool's joke is being played out in NYC one day late, with an influx of wintry temperatures and overcast skies for today, rather than yesterday. Otherwise, my dreaded April Fool's errand of yesterday afternoon - a visit to my local DMV for an enhanced license renewal - turned out to be a quite pleasant experience, the young lady taking care of me being efficient and courteous, and even complimenting me on my attire. I was pleasantly dumbfounded.

Today's attire incorporates my latest acquisition, the sports jacket - unconstructed, and in quite a bold and vivid pattern. I have learned the hard way that, when you are wearing such an eye-catching article of clothing, everything else you are wearing should step into the background - there can be only one diva on the stage at one time.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt, trousers & pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Laird, London

IMG_20210401_211659.jpg
IMG_20210402_111645.jpg
IMG_20210402_112126.jpg
IMG_20210402_112236.jpg
IMG_20210402_112521.jpg
IMG_20210402_112641.jpg
IMG_20210402_112820.jpg

Jeff84

Off to the tailor, followed by Brooks Brothers so I can pick up my suit and sport coat. Today’s rig (such an awesome word) is an inspiration from Crusty’s post earlier in the week. Finally breaking in my new bomber jacket.
Brooks Brothers: bomber jacket and dress shirt.
LL Bean: Double L jeans.
Johnston & Murphy: belt.
6786D4D5-F5C4-4972-8F88-DDF92F61711E.jpeg
1D6E6E0D-86EB-4D70-A56C-AC537137BC99.jpeg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC has returned to spring-appropriate temperatures, and the sun is out, allowing one to dress without fear that one's dry cleaner will suddenly become richer.

As it is, over this weekend, a surprise package arrived at our house, a gift from a good and very generous friend, containing a pair of boots for both myself and my husband, our first pairs of Cobbler Union shoes for either of us. The boots have proved comfortable straight out of the box, and, for me, will get their first road test later on this afternoon.

Searching around my closet for a suit that would complement these boots, the next suit in rotation happened to be this dark brown flannel - perhaps a bit hefty to wear on a sunny spring day, but without a hat, it should not be much too much insulation, and a good match for the boots.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Joseph A. Bank
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Victoria & Albert Museum, London
Pocket square - New & Lingwood
Boots - Cobbler Union

IMG_20210405_110602.jpg
IMG_20210405_111908.jpg
IMG_20210405_112242.jpg
IMG_20210405_112420.jpg
IMG_20210405_112702.jpg

wildcat1976

The weather in NYC has returned to spring-appropriate temperatures, and the sun is out, allowing one to dress without fear that one's dry cleaner will suddenly become richer.

As it is, over this weekend, a surprise package arrived at our house, a gift from a good and very generous friend, containing a pair of boots for both myself and my husband, our first pairs of Cobbler Union shoes for either of us. The boots have proved comfortable straight out of the box, and, for me, will get their first road test later on this afternoon.

Searching around my closet for a suit that would complement these boots, the next suit in rotation happened to be this dark brown flannel - perhaps a bit hefty to wear on a sunny spring day, but without a hat, it should not be much too much insulation, and a good match for the boots.

Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Joseph A. Bank
Cufflinks - Victoria & Albert Museum, London
Pocket square - New & Lingwood
Boots - Cobbler Union

View attachment 56682 View attachment 56683 View attachment 56684 View attachment 56685 View attachment 56686
The boots look fabulous!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather continues to be sunny and mild here in NYC, thus encouraging me to "overdress" for the day. Today's footwear has recently been resoled using J Rendenbach soles - my first experience with them. I shall see how long-lasting they will be - if they are worthy of the hype.

Otherwise, my accessorization today has been driven by a friend's Facebook group for menswear, in which he declared this week "turquoise week" - today's tie, pocket square, and cufflinks are as close to that color as I own. I shall see if it is sufficient - today's colors please me, in any case.

Today's suit I've had for nearly a decade, and marks the beginning of my move away from Brooks Brothers to Paul Stuart's. At the time of its purchase, I was looking to replace a black/white POW glen plaid suit from Brooks with a newer model, but, that season, Brooks wasn't carrying black/white POE glen plaid suits, forcing me to search further afield. Had I not moved on to Stuart's then, Brooks might have held a tighter grip onto a long-time customer. That is how the retail crumbles . . .

Suit - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Dunhill
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - David Donohue, via Saks Off Fifth
Pocket square - Ashear
Shoes - Magnanni for Florsheim Royal Imperial

IMG_20210406_113123.jpg
IMG_20210406_122441.jpg
IMG_20210406_122858.jpg
IMG_20210406_123009.jpg
IMG_20210406_123111.jpg
IMG_20210406_123245.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
@upr_crust , far from a scientific study - and not totally fair as your BB ones are older - but from memory of your posts, you Paul Stuart suits (both the Paul Stuart and Phineas Cole ones) strike me as nicer quality with better drape, details and fit. I think you moved at just the right time.

It was about seventeen years ago, when I gave up on BB and shifted fully to Polo Blue Lapel MTM (with the occasional Purple Label purchases on opportunistic mega sale). At the time, Polo Blue and high-end BB where about the same price (Polo was a bit more), but the quality, consistency and service (attention, knowledge and skill of the salesman and tailor) were all meaningfully better at Polo.

While two does not a trend make, it is interesting that two long-time suit buyers left BB for other brands well before BB folded.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
@upr_crust , far from a scientific study - and not totally fair as your BB ones are older - but from memory of your posts, you Paul Stuart suits (both the Paul Stuart and Phineas Cole ones) strike me as nicer quality with better drape, details and fit. I think you moved at just the right time.

It was about seventeen years ago, when I gave up on BB and shifted fully to Polo Blue Lapel MTM (with the occasional Purple Label purchases on opportunistic mega sale). At the time, Polo Blue and high-end BB where about the same price (Polo was a bit more), but the quality, consistency and service (attention, knowledge and skill of the salesman and tailor) were all meaningfully better at Polo.

While two does not a trend make, it is interesting that two long-time suit buyers left BB for other brands well before BB folded.
There were several years of overlap, and I did commission MTM from Brooks, some of which I still have, and I still have a few OTR Brooks suits, but there has been a definite thinning of the herd in my suit closet, and a large amount of it has been older Brooks suits.

In all fairness, I also lost a fair amount of weight in the transitional years, such that some of the older Brooks suits didn't fit well, even with the intervention of my alterations tailor, but, overall, the suits from Stuart's are better made, better designed, and complement my body shape better than Brooks, past or present.

Now, with the store's transition under new ownership, there are so few brick and mortar venues for me to see Brooks's wares, and their emphasis will be on sportswear and leisurewear, as no one buys suits anymore (at least not in the buying sector targeted by the new owners, I am sure).

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun has finally breached the cloud cover today, here in NYC, and it remains mild and dry. I've not worn a pink shirt in quite a while, and thought that it was about time that I had, and today's suit, next in rotation on the suit rack, works well with pink.

Today's photos were created using the now-unstable home camera, a Canon Eos M6. The timer mechanism and autofocus lasted about two-thirds the way through the photo session - I needed human intervention for the seated shot. In the confusion of the moment, I also forgot to put my glasses back on - oh, well, now you know what I look like without glasses.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Joseph A Bank
Cufflinks - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - vintage Christian Dior
Shoes - Crockett & Jones, model name Weybridge

IMG_5356.JPG
IMG_5358.JPG
IMG_5359.JPG
IMG_5360.JPG
IMG_5361.JPG
IMG_5362.JPG

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather continues to be nigh unto perfect here in NYC - sunny skies, mild temperatures, and low humidity. For today, I've opted for an older suit from Brooks Brothers, one in their Regent cut, a bit more "modern" than their Madison model suits. It's one of only a handful of RTW Brooks suits I have left in my closet, most having been displaced by suits from Phineas Cole at Paul Stuart's, or by suits from New & Lingwood, or Ede & Ravenscroft in London.

For some unknown reason, I always feel more relaxed in a brown suit, and have always had a brown glen plaid suit in rotation among my suits for decades.

You will note an intruder in one of my photos - my husband was attempting to revive our Canon Eos M6, using the easiest available model, i.e. me. The experiment was not a success - the camera functions as it should for only a few shots.

Suit - Brooks Brothers
Shirt - Lewin
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - The London Badge & Button Co.
Pocket square - Robert Talbott

IMG_20210408_114817.jpg
IMG_20210408_120029.jpg
IMG_20210408_120327.jpg
IMG_20210408_120442.jpg
IMG_20210408_120553.jpg
IMG_20210408_120729.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is only very slightly overcast here in NYC, and temperatures are a few degrees lower than earlier this week, but still mild enough to eschew both overcoat and hat (for better or worse).

Being tired of the suits in current rotation, I took today's suit out of the archives, to discover (as per the dry cleaner tags) that I've not worn this suit since November 2019. As always with a time gap between wearings, there is always an element of "dry cleaner roulette" - one never knows exactly how well or ill something will fit, depending on the conflict between diet and exercise, vs. gravity and the aging process. For today, at least, I believe that diet and exercise have held their own, happily.

Today's suit jacket is a bit longer than I normally like, currently, but I believe that the jacket proportions are fine, and therefore I do not wish to muck about with raising the skirt of the jacket.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Albert Thurston for Paul Stuart

IMG_20210409_120631.jpg
IMG_20210409_130048.jpg
IMG_20210409_130526.jpg
IMG_20210409_130629.jpg
IMG_20210409_130734.jpg
IMG_20210409_130912.jpg

wildcat1976

The weather is only very slightly overcast here in NYC, and temperatures are a few degrees lower than earlier this week, but still mild enough to eschew both overcoat and hat (for better or worse).

Being tired of the suits in current rotation, I took today's suit out of the archives, to discover (as per the dry cleaner tags) that I've not worn this suit since November 2019. As always with a time gap between wearings, there is always an element of "dry cleaner roulette" - one never knows exactly how well or ill something will fit, depending on the conflict between diet and exercise, vs. gravity and the aging process. For today, at least, I believe that diet and exercise have held their own, happily.

Today's suit jacket is a bit longer than I normally like, currently, but I believe that the jacket proportions are fine, and therefore I do not wish to muck about with raising the skirt of the jacket.

Suit - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Albert Thurston for Paul Stuart

View attachment 56762 View attachment 56763 View attachment 56764 View attachment 56765 View attachment 56766 View attachment 56767
A very sharp look made special by that Charvet tie!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
@upr_crust , it's funny, the length of your suit jacket today, to my eye, looks spot on to where suit jackets were "supposed" to hit up until the '00s. But with all the shorter jackets out there for nearly two decades now, I agree, it looks a touch long.

That said, I also agree, I wouldn't touch it as it still looks fine. While I complain about the new jackets being too short, even my "what looks right" window has shifted a bit shorter over the years as, I guess, I'm being moved by the fashion trends.

I'm a 40L, and (from memory) my older suits/sport coats run 31"-32" and the newer ones 30"-31"in length.

When the newer ones started coming in, 30" felt almost too short (I passed on a few 29.5" and 29"). Now, 32" feels a bit too long and I like 30"-31". Still , I don't like anything <30".

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.