wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The weather in NYC has cooled down, become sunny and quite dry - a perfect day in which to squeeze another wearing of what is ostensibly a winter suit - one of my newer acquisitions from the past sale season this year.

When laying out my clothes for today, I did want to avoid using a white shirt with this suit, only as I've worn this suit with white shirts exclusively, so far. I tried a couple of small-scale patterns - narrow stripes and graph checks - and did not care for the effect it had with the bold windowpane check of the suit, but a solid blue shirt seemed to do the trick nicely. It also provides a nice color contrast with the rust/orange of the tie, and the warm earthen colors of today's braces - their second wearing, and I've included a second photo in order to better show off their pattern.

I've also included a couple of shots of the very clear views of midtown and downtown Manhattan from my living room this morning

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet, via Saks Fifth Avenue
Cufflinks - The Persian Shop, NYC
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Ashear
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Hat - Laird, London
Face mask - New & Lingwood

View attachment 57467 View attachment 57468 View attachment 57469 View attachment 57470 View attachment 57471 View attachment 57472 View attachment 57473 View attachment 57474 View attachment 57475 View attachment 57476
Blue shirt is a great choice!

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC remains slightly cooler than average for this time of year, and is overcast now as well, affording me yet another opportunity to sneak in a fall/winter suit from the last sale season. Combined with it is my latest indulgence - yet another pair of braces from Albert Thurston, patterned with one of my sartorial obsessions, cufflinks. The combination of a checked shirt with a checked suit is an experiment on my part, one that I think has been reasonably successful, but I leave that judgment to the viewer.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Marino Gabri (purchased at discount sometime in the last millennium)
Braces - Albert Thurston
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand

IMG_20210507_133843.jpg
IMG_20210507_135340.jpg
IMG_20210507_135935.jpg
IMG_20210507_140114.jpg
IMG_20210507_140213.jpg
IMG_20210507_140327.jpg
IMG_20210507_140607.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
@upr_crust I have had the pleasure of seeing your daily clothing choices for the better part of 10 years. While your wardrobe may be amazing, the part that astounds me is you in general. I swear... You haven't aged a damn bit in all this time. I need to go on the Crusty diet or something. Whatever it is... It works!
Thank you, Dr. L., for the kind compliments, but I have aged a bit - my hair is much greyer than it was 10 years ago, and a bit less of it as well. I retired a bit early (January 2020 - not entirely my idea), and with the extra free time, I upped my exercise regimen, which was necessary, as I had gathered a bit of extra weight in the months leading up to my departure from corporate America. I was successful in bringing my weight down to a level at which all of the clothes in the closet now fit comfortably. We shall see how long this trend can continue, but it's my intention that it continue for the foreseeable future.

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
The weather in NYC remains slightly cooler than average for this time of year, and is overcast now as well, affording me yet another opportunity to sneak in a fall/winter suit from the last sale season. Combined with it is my latest indulgence - yet another pair of braces from Albert Thurston, patterned with one of my sartorial obsessions, cufflinks. The combination of a checked shirt with a checked suit is an experiment on my part, one that I think has been reasonably successful, but I leave that judgment to the viewer.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Marino Gabri (purchased at discount sometime in the last millennium)
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shoes - Crockett & Jones private label for Paul Stuart
Hat - Saks Fifth Avenue house brand

View attachment 57489 View attachment 57490 View attachment 57491 View attachment 57492 View attachment 57493 View attachment 57494 View attachment 57495
Very nicely done!
IMHO it is the solid tie that allows the checked shirt to be in harmony with the checked suit.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC today is overcast and a bit cooler than is normal for this time of year, allowing me to indulge in a heavier weight suit, and perhaps a wildly inappropriate accessory - today's waistcoat. The subject of odd waistcoats had come up recently in two separate conversations, and it planted the idea in my head to attempt to make it work with today's attire.

Today's waistcoat was purchased for my wedding in 2015, and has been worn in public twice - once, for the wedding/reception, and once at the spring garden party for the Frick Collection in 2016. If I wear it out of the house today, that will be its third outing (the jury is still out as to whether I leave the apartment wearing it, considering my tasks for the day are no greater than visits to the dry cleaner and the drug store).

Even if it doesn't make it out the door, at least it still fits after nearly six years.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via New & Lingwood
Braces - Albert Thurston, via Paul Stuart
Waistcoat - Favourbrook, London
Pocket square - no name brand
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni manufacture)

IMG_20210510_122430.jpg
IMG_20210510_123945.jpg
IMG_20210510_124609.jpg
IMG_20210510_124755.jpg
IMG_20210510_124917.jpg
IMG_20210510_125239.jpg

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC today is overcast and a bit cooler than is normal for this time of year, allowing me to indulge in a heavier weight suit, and perhaps a wildly inappropriate accessory - today's waistcoat. The subject of odd waistcoats had come up recently in two separate conversations, and it planted the idea in my head to attempt to make it work with today's attire.

Today's waistcoat was purchased for my wedding in 2015, and has been worn in public twice - once, for the wedding/reception, and once at the spring garden party for the Frick Collection in 2016. If I wear it out of the house today, that will be its third outing (the jury is still out as to whether I leave the apartment wearing it, considering my tasks for the day are no greater than visits to the dry cleaner and the drug store).

Even if it doesn't make it out the door, at least it still fits after nearly six years.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt

View attachment 57558 View attachment 57559 View attachment 57560 View attachment 57561 View attachment 57562 View attachment 57563
I remember the wedding pictures. It's hard to believe it was six years ago already. Kudos for still fitting in the waistcoat.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator

Shirt - Tyrwhitt

View attachment 57558 View attachment 57559 View attachment 57560 View attachment 57561 View attachment 57562 View attachment 57563
The vest looks absolutely fantastic on you and it's just another vest until you put it on. My advice...wear the vest! Take care and have a great day. ;)

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC continues to be seasonably mild and mostly sunny, such that the parade of suits can continue. After yesterday's extravagance, back to a simpler outfit. I was at a loss to coordinate a pocket square with today's suit, shirt, and tie until it occurred to me that I could play with scale - two sets of polka dots, one small, one large. I hope that it is not too matchy-matchy for the taste of the public.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Turnbull & Asser
Braces - Albert Thurston
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's NYC

IMG_20210511_114805.jpg
IMG_20210511_123451.jpg
IMG_20210511_124036.jpg
IMG_20210511_124211.jpg
IMG_20210511_124314.jpg
IMG_20210511_124449.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The sun keeps shining, and the temperatures remain moderate, here in NYC, allowing a short extension to the season of fall/winter suits. Today's suit was next in rotation on the rack, and being as neutral as it is, allowed for a more interesting shirt and tie combo.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Drake's
Cufflinks - Joseph A Bank
Braces - Lewin
Pocket square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Magnanni for Bergdorf Goodman

IMG_20210512_124458.jpg
IMG_20210512_130215.jpg
IMG_20210512_130637.jpg
IMG_20210512_130801.jpg
IMG_20210512_130916.jpg
IMG_20210512_131046.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC continues to be sunny and moderately cool, allowing for the donning of suits without discomfort. Today's suit is summer weight, but three-piece, and I've not worn it in a long time. The same goes for today's accessories - today's tie I've had for decades, and haven't worn in years, today's pocket square I somehow never seem to use, and today's cufflinks I bought more for their novelty value than their usefulness. Today, they all get used.

Suit & pocket square - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Shirt - Chester Barrie, via Austin Reed (alas, both now defunct)
Tie, braces & shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art (adapted from a Faberge original)
Vintage watch chain

IMG_20210513_113637.jpg
IMG_20210513_123815.jpg
IMG_20210513_124315.jpg
IMG_20210513_124440.jpg
IMG_20210513_124543.jpg
IMG_20210513_124705.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather in NYC is still sunny, but is seasonably warm, and it's Friday, thus I can unclench my sartorial sphincter a bit, and wear something a bit more relaxed than yesterday's three-piece ensemble.

Today's jacket was made for me at Brooks several years ago, and, as much as I like the fabric (I am easily seduced by fabric swatches), trying to coordinate ties to this jacket has been something of a challenge. Let us hope that today's selection passes muster.

Sports jacket - Brooks Brothers MTM
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Seigo, NYC
Trousers & cap - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Crockett & Jones

IMG_20210514_113224.jpg
IMG_20210514_122759.jpg
IMG_20210514_123241.jpg
IMG_20210514_123359.jpg
IMG_20210514_123536.jpg
IMG_20210514_123616.jpg

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather has warmed up a bit in NYC, and is predicted to get to 86F/30C by Wednesday and Thursday, which might bring a cessation to suit-wearing for the interim, but that will be determined on the days themselves. However, for this evening, I am supposed to be meeting a friend for drinks somewhere local to my neighborhood, and, as he's a lawyer, I assume that he'll be fully suited and booted, so I thought that I'd follow suit (pun not intended).

Today's suit is very lightweight, though it is lined. I will have to see this evening whether it is cooler or warmer than any of my unlined summer weight suits.

I am also sporting a shantung tie, the only one in my collection, a gift from my good friend and fellow poster Bernoulli.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Harvie & Hudson, London
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand

IMG_20210517_122217.jpg
IMG_20210517_125447.jpg
IMG_20210517_125945.jpg
IMG_20210517_130105.jpg
IMG_20210517_130314.jpg
IMG_20210517_130454.jpg

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.