What Are You Wearing Today 2.0?

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
One of the big advantages to upr_crust's post, besides getting to see nice clothing, is learning about new brands. I haven't heard of half of the brands he uses. So it gives me a chance to look them up and learn about new clothing. One day I'll have to get duded up and post a pic here.

Spot on - and your inspiring a fun game: Name your favorite Upr-revealed brand?

For me, it would be New and Lingwood - a toff British brand I had never heard of but which could be the original antecedent to Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole brand.

It's an amped-up, stylized and not-color-shy version of traditional British clothing that demands smart tailoring (no slouchy irreverence allowed - these are sharp clothes that require an exacting fit).

New and Lingwood clothes would have no place in my modest style and not-interesting life, but I love seeing Upr take on these clothes with his panache and flair - the symbiosis is wonderful

upr_crust

Connoisseur
One of the big advantages to upr_crust's post, besides getting to see nice clothing, is learning about new brands. I haven't heard of half of the brands he uses. So it gives me a chance to look them up and learn about new clothing. One day I'll have to get duded up and post a pic here.

Judging from your profile photo, you are a young man, and most likely not fiscally favored as I am. I would suggest that a better exercise for you might be to analyze that which you like about my postings (style, pattern, fit, etc.) and then apply what you've learned to the clothes that you'll be more likely to be able to afford - a goodly number (though not all) of the brands I wear might be a bit beyond your means. Learning why certain brands are "better" would be a much more valuable lesson than blindly attempting to buy what I have bought, brand for brand.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Spot on - and your inspiring a fun game: Name your favorite Upr-revealed brand?

For me, it would be New and Lingwood - a toff British brand I had never heard of but which could be the original antecedent to Paul Stuart's Phineas Cole brand.

It's an amped-up, stylized and not-color-shy version of traditional British clothing that demands smart tailoring (no slouchy irreverence allowed - these are sharp clothes that require an exacting fit).

New and Lingwood clothes would have no place in my modest style and not-interesting life, but I love seeing Upr take on these clothes with his panache and flair - the symbiosis is wonderful

Ironically enough, I owned no more than a pair of braces, a shirt, and a pair of cufflinks from New & Lingwood eight years ago. It was only in the wake of the death of my first husband that I started to buy their suits, enticed by the dark navy bold stripe three-piece suit that I wore most recently last week - the "gateway drug" to several other suits, and other accessories.

New and Lingwood olive tweed is now on my list of "desperately want to buy some day".

Enjoy the pleasures of anticipation (an underrated emotion in these days of instant gratification). I am sure that the tweed will be there for you when you have the means to acquire it.

fishertw

Elite Member
Given that it's 3 degrees outside with 3 inches of fresh snow, I'm staying put at home by the fire. Wide wale Bills cords, Pendleton wool button down, Barbour lambswool sweater, smart wool socks and good Timberland winter boat shoes with heavy tread in case I decide to bring in the newspaper.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
MY friend, I cannot claim to be enjoying the fresh snow or to be enjoying the warmth of a robust fire in the fireplace that you mention, but the brisk 57 degrees we are experiencing locally, does permit me the luxury of enjoying the comforting warmth of one of my beloved BrooksFlannel sport shirts. It doesn't happen often! LOL. ;)

fishertw

Elite Member
^^
MY friend, I cannot claim to be enjoying the fresh snow or to be enjoying the warmth of a robust fire in the fireplace that you mention, but the brisk 57 degrees we are experiencing locally, does permit me the luxury of enjoying the comforting warmth of one of my beloved BrooksFlannel sport shirts. It doesn't happen often! LOL. ;)
I look forward to being in your fair state later this month. Three other "old car guys" and I will make our tenth annual journey to the Rolex 24 Hour sports car race in Daytona. I get away for a few days and enjoy the warmer weather and the spectacle of watching some very expensive fast sports cars as the sports car racing season starts.

Michael Marshall

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Judging from your profile photo, you are a young man, and most likely not fiscally favored as I am. I would suggest that a better exercise for you might be to analyze that which you like about my postings (style, pattern, fit, etc.) and then apply what you've learned to the clothes that you'll be more likely to be able to afford - a goodly number (though not all) of the brands I wear might be a bit beyond your means. Learning why certain brands are "better" would be a much more valuable lesson than blindly attempting to buy what I have bought, brand for brand.

I definitely agree with Crusty here because I am definitely in a different financial bracket than he, but I at least get to see what it means to dress for success regarding styles, fit, pattern combinations; as I have learned so much about those nuances, even if it means shopping for different brands than what is in his own wardrobe. I have made so many mistakes in coordination.

So, to sum it up, focus more on the way he coordinates his ensembles rather than brands right now.

mfreeman73

Funds are definitely limited. While I do have a good career as a CPA, I'm certainly not a wealthy CPA. But, that's ok. I buy what I can afford and admire the things I can't afford yet, if ever. And I'm mid 40's, so not elderly, but not a kid fresh out of college. But, it took me until my 40's to learn how to dress properly. I never had anyone show me, nor did I really ever care until recently. But, after learning a lot and dressing better, I do like it a lot better.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
IMG_7120.JPG
IMG_7119.JPG
IMG_7121.JPG
IMG_7118.JPG
IMG_7116.JPG
IMG_7117.JPG
A new year, but the same old Arctic weather in NYC (and elsewhere) still . . .

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Waistcoat - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shirt - Ike Behar
Tie - JAB
Cufflinks - Mata Soto, via SevendeImports, Portland Maine
Braces - Paul Stuart
PS - Vintage Christian Dior
Boots - Paul Smith
Overcoat - BB
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Selentino

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Crusty, mind sharing with us details on the gloves you’ve been wearing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today's gloves came from Saks, under their own brand, but most of the time, the gloves I wear come from the local discounter Century 21, located in lower Manhattan - gloves with cashmere linings, no brand name in particular, and cheap enough such that every coat I own has gloves stuck into the pockets - no searching for gloves when going out.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
very nice Crusty, so I guess you won't be going out today cause of the bitter cold weather I suppose?

Unfortunately, I needed to go to work, hence I got dressed up and went out, with a second scarf and earmuffs not shown in the photos for today.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Very smart look with the contrasting waistcoat, Upr
fing02[1].gif

Thank you, Shawl!

Midweek, and slightly warmer than yesterday, hence only a two-piece suit.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Shirt - BBGF
Tie - Drake's, via the Armoury, NYC
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
PS - RLPL
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Thomas Farthing, London
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

IMG_7127.JPG
IMG_7126.JPG
IMG_7128.JPG
IMG_7125.JPG
IMG_7123.JPG
IMG_7124.JPG

Kyle76

Crusty, you didn’t mention the gloves! As I’m ordering a pair fro Chester Jefferies, I’m curious about your selection.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Crusty, you didn’t mention the gloves! As I’m ordering a pair fro Chester Jefferies, I’m curious about your selection.

If you read above, you'll see that the tan gloves I wear with my camel's hair polo coat are from Saks, their house brand, and that most of my other gloves are no-name brands from my local discounter, though they are all cashmere lined. I must confess to being a bit cheap when it comes to gloves, as I buy a pair for every winter coat or jacket I own.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange