What Are You Wearing Today 2.0?

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Gentlemen, I find myself tempted to buy something that is outside of the canon of "proper" clothing. I saw the formal shoes shown below at my local branch of Saks (Brookfield Place, near my office in NYC's financial district). I find their sleekness attractive, though I know that their form is not correct for formal wear (formal shoes should not have any metal ornaments). I do not wish to appear louche, but on occasion I have a taste for rather louche accessories.

An opportunity for you all to express your opinions, if nothing else, and, no, I have not bought the shoes - yet.

IMG_20180103_131448.jpg
IMG_20180103_131459.jpg
IMG_20180105_124555.jpg
IMG_20180105_124624.jpg

wildcat1976

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Gentlemen, I find myself tempted to buy something that is outside of the canon of "proper" clothing. I saw the formal shoes shown below at my local branch of Saks (Brookfield Place, near my office in NYC's financial district). I find their sleekness attractive, though I know that their form is not correct for formal wear (formal shoes should not have any metal ornaments). I do not wish to appear louche, but on occasion I have a taste for rather louche accessories.

An opportunity for you all to express your opinions, if nothing else, and, no, I have not bought the shoes - yet.

View attachment 19497 View attachment 19498 View attachment 19499 View attachment 19500
upr_crust,
Consider it as your own sense of "sprezzatura", similar to Gianni Agnelli wearing his watch over his shirt cuff.

bernoulli

Given your sizable collection I say go for it. If you were in need of more rotation shoes I would say skip it. As it is, a novelty item that should be interesting with many suits (it may or may not work) is a worthwhile gamble.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
With formal attire, were I to purchase them.

I'm a trad guy, but you are a style-forward guy who takes traditional and moves it here and there with grace and elegance. I asked my question as I thought you'd do a great job using them to add punch to formal attire, but, IMHO, they just don't work with non-formal wear (as shown in the picture above, to me, they don't look good with the cords, just loud).

The difference is with formal attire, they'd be adding a (very) small amount of informality, but let's not kid ourselves, they are still patent leather shoes which, in and of itself, says, I'm a formal shoe. But with casual attire, they'd simply be jarring or out of place - like wearing a top hat with jeans and a t-shirt.

Hence, go for it as you seem to go to many formal events and I can see these being a perfect way for you to add a subtle twist to that pretty rigid construct.

FLMike

Connoisseur
Given your sizable collection I say go for it. If you were in need of more rotation shoes I would say skip it. As it is, a novelty item that should be interesting with many suits (it may or may not work) is a worthwhile gamble.

Give the guy some credit. He's not considering wearing those with suits. Good grief.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^"Those shoes are just not you."

I disagree with that assessment above. Those shoes are actually very much in keeping with the photographic chronicling of upr_crust's personality in these threads. Upr_crust, my friend, those shoes are indeed you! Who among us has not seen the accessorized bits of 'flash bang' he referred to in his earlier post, as he looks out at us from those wonderful pictures with a twinkle in his eyes and a tiny, but indeed rakish little smile, or perhaps it is a poorly hidden, but good humored smirk...yes, no? He sets a new and more elevated standard for us to strive to emulate, but he also very much enjoys his splendid wardrobe, sharing life lessons with us far beyond the splendor of his wardrobe. Upr_crust so very greatly enjoys his wardrobe and it shows. Therein lies perhaps his most consistent and insightful lesson for us. If we do not truly enjoy our wardrobes, as does he, they are not worth all the time, money and effort we invest in them. Upr_crust, IMHO you should add those shoes to your collection. I am certain you will find ways to put them to good use. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur

View attachment 19497 View attachment 19498 View attachment 19499 View attachment 19500

Wow Crusty, those are very shiny.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Thank you, gentlemen, for your well-considered (if conflicting) opinions. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will acquire the shoes, though currently, with a European trip on the horizon, fiscal probity may win over my magpie-like impulse for shiny things (and yes, Howard, the shoes are indeed very shiny).

With the change in temperature promised for the metropolitan NYC area, I hope to be back to wearing "real clothes", rather than cords, sweaters, a puffer jacket, and hiking boots tomorrow. We shall see.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
The weather is back to a normal range of temperatures here in NYC, and the roads are clear enough to brave them in proper shoes, so I'm back in a suit.

Suit & shirt - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Tie & braces - Lewin
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Pocket Square - Brooks Brothers
Shoes - Finsbury, Paris
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Zegna
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

IMG_7134.JPG
IMG_7133.JPG
IMG_7135.JPG
IMG_7132.JPG
IMG_7130.JPG
IMG_7131.JPG

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Upr, I'm sure I've seen it before, but for some reason don't remember it - that overcoat is outstanding (it fits you really well, too).

upr_crust

Connoisseur
like the ensemble today, just glad it's getting warmer in the next few days.

Most of the metro New York area is glad that it's getting warmer!

Upr, I'm sure I've seen it before, but for some reason don't remember it - that overcoat is outstanding (it fits you really well, too).

Thanks. This coat I bought at a end of season clearance sale several years back, and it's a good medium-weight overcoat - suitable for very cool but not frigid weather. I traveled with it to Budapest and London last fall, and depending on the weather reports, may take it with me to Madrid and London next month.

JBierly

Elite Member
Thank you, gentlemen, for your well-considered (if conflicting) opinions. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will acquire the shoes, though currently, with a European trip on the horizon, fiscal probity may win over my magpie-like impulse for shiny things (and yes, Howard, the shoes are indeed very shiny).

With the change in temperature promised for the metropolitan NYC area, I hope to be back to wearing "real clothes", rather than cords, sweaters, a puffer jacket, and hiking boots tomorrow. We shall see.

Louche certainly is a good descriptor for those shoes. One thing I couldn't figure out is are they dark blue or black? Honestly, you could wear those with black tie and do quite well. I like the the last/shape and I am a fan of monks. It's a bit different but bending the rules has it's moments. Moreover, unless you have a tuxedo with skinny trousers most people won't even notice you are wearing monks. And unless it is a AAAC forum event most won't care. I think if they fit well and are comfortable and you want an alternative shoe for black tie go for it.

upr_crust

Connoisseur
Louche certainly is a good descriptor for those shoes. One thing I couldn't figure out is are they dark blue or black? Honestly, you could wear those with black tie and do quite well. I like the the last/shape and I am a fan of monks. It's a bit different but bending the rules has it's moments. Moreover, unless you have a tuxedo with skinny trousers most people won't even notice you are wearing monks. And unless it is a AAAC forum event most won't care. I think if they fit well and are comfortable and you want an alternative shoe for black tie go for it.

Thank you, JBierly. For the record, the shoes are black, and, as stated before, the jury is out as to whether they will be bought or not, but I value your opinion, in any case.

Midweek, and a bit colder in NYC than yesterday, though not the Arctic blast we had from last week. Still, a good day to wear flannel and camel's hair . . .

Suit - Joseph Abboud
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Scarf - Thomas Farthing, London
Hat - Selentino

IMG_7141.JPG
IMG_7140.JPG
IMG_7142.JPG
IMG_7139.JPG
IMG_7137.JPG
IMG_7138.JPG

Michael Marshall

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Thank you, JBierly. For the record, the shoes are black, and, as stated before, the jury is out as to whether they will be bought or not, but I value your opinion, in any case.

Midweek, and a bit colder in NYC than yesterday, though not the Arctic blast we had from last week. Still, a good day to wear flannel and camel's hair . . .

Suit - Joseph Abboud
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Tyrwhitt
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Scarf - Thomas Farthing, London
Hat - Selentino

View attachment 19512 View attachment 19513 View attachment 19514 View attachment 19515 View attachment 19516 View attachment 19517

Nice as always! And I love the new specs; as they really suit your face well!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange