Men's Clothing Forums banner

What Are You Wearing Today 2.0?

851K views 4K replies 198 participants last post by  upr_crust 
#1 ·
#3,065 ·
Today's posting is all about alterations and repair. Today's suit is some 11 years old, and today's shoes are probably close to 10 years old. I recently had the shoes resoled/reheeled, and the trousers of today's suit shortened a bit, as I seem to have shrunk a bit from 11 years ago.

For reference, I've included a photo of myself from November 2009, wearing the suit for the first time after purchase - my first suit from New & Lingwood, something of a "bucket list" item at the time, and a recent photo of today's shoes, prior to repair.

Suit & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Pocket square - Robert Talbott
Shoes - Harris, via Barney's, NYC
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

Dress shirt Overcoat Wrap Sleeve Collar
Footwear Shoe Leg Purple Grey
Outerwear Product Dress shirt Textile Fashion
Footwear Shoe Oxford shoe Leg Dress
Clothing Glasses Photograph Picture frame Smile
Suit trousers Picture frame Dress shirt Smile Sleeve
Smile Hat Sun hat Dress shirt Sleeve
Hat Vision care Dress shirt Sun hat Beard
Suit trousers Outerwear Hairstyle Leg Dress shirt

#3,066 ·
Today's posting is all about alterations and repair. Today's suit is some 11 years old, and today's shoes are probably close to 10 years old. I recently had the shoes resoled/reheeled, and the trousers of today's suit shortened a bit, as I seem to have shrunk a bit from 11 years ago.

For reference, I've included a photo of myself from November 2009, wearing the suit for the first time after purchase - my first suit from New & Lingwood, something of a "bucket list" item at the time, and a recent photo of today's shoes, prior to repair.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 53926 View attachment 53927 View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53930 View attachment 53931 View attachment 53932 View attachment 53933 View attachment 53934
You are looking great...and clean shaven is your best way to go! Just one guys opinion, but there you have it. Have a great day. ;)

#3,068 ·

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Vintage watch chain
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Turnbull & Asser
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 53926 View attachment 53927 View attachment 53928 View attachment 53929 View attachment 53930 View attachment 53931 View attachment 53932 View attachment 53933 View attachment 53934
I'm liking that top photo when you sported a mustache and beard.

#3,071 ·
The weather is sunny, cold, and a bit windy today, but not anywhere nearly as cold as tomorrow is predicted to be, so I've opted for my second-heaviest coat, and a two-piece flannel suit, saving a three-piece flannel and my camel hair polo coat for tomorrow.

I decided to experiment a bit with pattern mixing - the two stripes of the suit and the shirt, and the patterns of the tie and the braces. I believe that I've kept the color scheme simple enough for all parties to work and play nicely together, but that judgment I leave, ultimately, to the eye of the beholder.

Suit, braces, face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt - Brooks Brothers MTM
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - vintage and non-branded
Shoes - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center, NYC

Outerwear Dress shirt Coat Fashion Sleeve
Jeans Trousers Oxford shoe Dress shoe Leg
Glasses Picture frame Photograph Smile Tie
Suit trousers Trousers Smile Dress shirt Picture frame
Suit trousers Hat Overcoat Dress shirt Sun hat
Clothing Suit trousers Hat Fashion Sun hat
Suit trousers Glasses Outerwear Leg Smile

#3,072 ·
The weather is sunny, cold, and a bit windy today, but not anywhere nearly as cold as tomorrow is predicted to be, so I've opted for my second-heaviest coat, and a two-piece flannel suit, saving a three-piece flannel and my camel hair polo coat for tomorrow.

I decided to experiment a bit with pattern mixing - the two stripes of the suit and the shirt, and the patterns of the tie and the braces. I believe that I've kept the color scheme simple enough for all parties to work and play nicely together, but that judgment I leave, ultimately, to the eye of the beholder.

Suit, braces, face mask - New & Lingwood
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - vintage and non-branded
Scarf - Paul Stuart

View attachment 53983 View attachment 53984 View attachment 53985 View attachment 53986 View attachment 53987 View attachment 53988 View attachment 53989
Again with the Charvet ties? Color me jealous.

#3,074 ·
When I was in elementary school, I remember the title of one of the books which were used to teach us reading - "If I Were Going". My attire for today is a variant on that - "If I Were Going Outside", as it's currently -5C, with a wind chill factor making it feel as if it were -14C. The jury is still out on whether I face the great outdoors today or not, but, if I do, it will be with style.

Suit - Brooks Brothers MTM (Southwick)
Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Brooks Brothers
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ashear (I would say "vintage", as it's about 40 years old, but, as I was the original purchaser when new, I am unsure if such a designation applies - perhaps, just "old", like its owner.)
Boots - Cheaney, via Harrods
Overcoat - Brooks Brothers
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Seifter Associates
Face mask - New & Lingwood

Outerwear White Dress shirt Tie Neck
Synthetic rubber Dress Comfort Wood High heels
Hair Glasses Watch Photograph White
Clothing Suit trousers Glasses Smile Dress shirt
Outerwear Hat Vision care Dress shirt Fashion
Clothing Outerwear Eyewear Beard Fashion
Clothing Suit trousers Outerwear Leg Smile

#3,079 ·
The sun has returned to NYC, after two days of snow, much of which still litters the streets and sidewalks of this fair city. I am scheduled to do some informal sartorial mentoring this afternoon, which will involve a good deal of walking, hence the "vertical mullet" nature of today's attire - business up top, party down below, if you will - to navigate whatever mounds of dirty snow I might encounter.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Kamakura
Tie - JAB
Vest - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square, scarf, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Levi's
Boots - Magnanni
Cap - Paul Stuart

Outerwear Dress shirt Neck Textile Sleeve
Footwear Jeans Trousers Leg Blue
Photograph Smile Dress shirt Picture frame Mirror
Clothing Outerwear Photograph Human Dress shirt
Glasses Outerwear Hat Sleeve Tie
Outerwear Beard Dress shirt Human Textile
Chin Trousers Leg Tie Dress shirt

#3,080 ·
The sun has returned to NYC, after two days of snow, much of which still litters the streets and sidewalks of this fair city. I am scheduled to do some informal sartorial mentoring this afternoon, which will involve a good deal of walking, hence the "vertical mullet" nature of today's attire - business up top, party down below, if you will - to navigate whatever mounds of dirty snow I might encounter.

Sports jacket - Paul Stuart
Shirt - Kamakura
Tie - JAB
Vest - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square, scarf, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Levi's
Boots - Magnanni
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 54213 View attachment 54214 View attachment 54215 View attachment 54216 View attachment 54217 View attachment 54218 View attachment 54219
Looks great - love the vest and jeans combo.

FYI, I was out a few hours ago and the puddles at some corners are really deep. Hence, are those boots that can get completely submerged in water? I had on Bean boots which are great for days like this, yours look a bit too nice IMHO for today.

#3,087 ·
The rain in NYC passed through quickly this morning, and temperatures have moderated themselves, allowing a wider range of possibilities for attire for today.

One of the Internet sites to which I post photos on a regular basis, in honor of both Chinese New Year (February 12th) and Valentine's Day, offered up a challenge to its posters to wear red. Taking the interpretation that "red" also meant "burgundy", I constructed today's ensemble.

Suit - Paul Stuart/Phineas Cole
Tie - Chipp
Cufflinks - Deakin & Francis, via Scully & Scully, NYC
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Polo Ralph Lauren
Shoes - Florsheim Royal Imperial (Magnanni)
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf & face mask - New & Lingwood
Hat - Laird, London

Tie Dress shirt Tartan Coat Sleeve
Footwear Jeans Shoe Oxford shoe Human body
Glasses Picture frame Smile Dress shirt Temple
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Dress shirt Fashion
Suit trousers Hat Sun hat Dress shirt Human
Outerwear Dress shirt Hat Purple Tie
Suit trousers Hair Glasses Head Smile

#3,088 · (Edited)
Been a while. Hope everyone is well. Recently met with the good people of Tailor Cooperative in SLC.

IMG_20210128_130958_708.jpg

IMG_20210128_130958_705.jpg

IMG_20210128_130958_707.jpg

IMG_20210128_130958_706.jpg

Suit: Trinity Apparel MTM
Shirt: Ledbury
Tie: Magnoli Clothiers
Pocket square: Bespoke JB
Shoes: Beckett Simonon (gifted)
Topcoat: Vintage Brooks Brothers

#3,095 · (Edited)
My tie is cooler than yours (a gift from an Italian senator, whose politics I disagree with but is a dear friend nonetheless). As is the lining (my tailor gave me a gift of a pocket square made out of the lining fabric so I could match lining and PS, which I find quite amusing). I am finally happy with the complement to this jacket, which is not the easiest to find something to pair it with. And no, I don't take myself very seriously.

Happy Niu Year everybody (Niu is the Chinese word for Ox).

IMG_33383.jpg
image0 (2).jpg
IMG_33423.jpg
IMG_33573.jpg
IMG_1401 (1).jpg
IMG_33573.jpg
IMG_1401 (1).jpg

#3,096 ·
A special Saturday edition of posting for me, as it's been a very casual week so far. Today's jacket is my latest "crime of opportunity" - a sale item from my local branch of New & Lingwood, a jacket of very lightweight construction - no lining, no shoulder pads. As it is, I am on my way this afternoon to pick up my second-latest "crime", a suit from Paul Stuart, which should be ready from alterations - photos to be posted soon.

Jacket & face mask - New & Lingwood
Shirt & trousers - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Museum of Fine Arts, Boston
Cufflinks - Trywhitt
Boots - Paul Stuart house brand
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Fortnum & Mason
Hat - Laird, London . . .

Outerwear Dress shirt Sleeve Grey Collar
Footwear Brown Jeans Trousers Hand
Clothing Chin Photograph White Mirror
Glasses Tartan Dress shirt Human Textile
Clothing Outerwear Hat Human Sleeve
Outerwear Hat Beard Fashion Sleeve
Glasses Shirt Leg Dress shirt Tie

#3,097 ·
Yet another weekend posting for me - an unusual event, but it is Valentine's Day, and will be an early dinner out to celebrate, and also the debut of my latest suit, yet another item from Phineas Cole at Paul Stuart, which I thought might be of interest.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - vintage, no known maker
Boots - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Cap - Paul Stuart

Outerwear Dress shirt Neck Textile Sleeve
Footwear Jeans Trousers Shoe Leg
Glasses Photograph Picture frame White Smile
Suit trousers Dress shirt Tie Fashion Standing
Smile Tie Hat Blazer Formal wear
Outerwear Tie Fashion Beard Tartan

Attachments

#3,099 ·
Yet another weekend posting for me - an unusual event, but it is Valentine's Day, and will be an early dinner out to celebrate, and also the debut of my latest suit, yet another item from Phineas Cole at Paul Stuart, which I thought might be of interest.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Ralph Lauren Purple Label
Cufflinks, braces, and face mask - New & Lingwood
Pocket square - vintage, no known maker
Boots - Magnanni for Saks Fifth Avenue
Overcoat - Adolfo
Scarf - Hickey Freeman
Cap - Paul Stuart

View attachment 54686 View attachment 54687 View attachment 54688 View attachment 54689 View attachment 54690 View attachment 54691
Love, love, love your new suit - the material and pattern are beautiful. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

It's hard to tell from the pic, is it a true winter weight material?

And kudos on the side tabs.

#3,100 ·
I can testify that your assumptions about Bernoulli are not wrong - he is very cool.

Love, love, love your new suit - the material and pattern are beautiful. Enjoy and wear it in good health.

It's hard to tell from the pic, is it a true winter weight material?

And kudos on the side tabs.
The material is a flannel, but it was made in Naples, Italy, so it's not a heavyweight flannel - suitable for global warming ;) . The side tabs came with the suit as constructed, along with the button fly, which takes some getting used to.

#3,102 ·
Having worn today's suit's fraternal twin Sunday, I decided to compare and contrast for today. Included in today's posting are two photos of my complete suspender/brace collection, as someone had asked to see it, and I was curious to see how many pairs of braces I owned, finding some pairs in the back of the drawer that I had forgotten about.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - Turnbull & Asser
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock
Textile Purple Wood Creative arts Flooring
Textile Wood Rectangle Pattern Tints and shades
Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Sleeve Textile
Footwear Shoe Leg Dress Synthetic rubber
Glasses Picture frame Photograph White Dress shirt
Suit trousers Dress shirt Smile Sleeve Standing
Suit trousers Hat Dress shirt Smile Sleeve
Clothing Hat Dress shirt Fedora Sun hat
Suit trousers Leg Dress shirt Smile Sleeve

#3,103 ·
Having worn today's suit's fraternal twin Sunday, I decided to compare and contrast for today. Included in today's posting are two photos of my complete suspender/brace collection, as someone had asked to see it, and I was curious to see how many pairs of braces I owned, finding some pairs in the back of the drawer that I had forgotten about.

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Metropolitan Museum of Art
Braces - Paul Stuart
Pocket square - Ede & Ravenscroft
Shoes - Paul Stuart
Scarf - Paul Stuart
Hat - Lock
Face mask - New & Lingwood View attachment 54716 View attachment 54717 View attachment 54718 View attachment 54719 View attachment 54720 View attachment 54721 View attachment 54722 View attachment 54723 View attachment 54724
I like the Chrysler Building braces.

#3,105 ·
Midweek, and the temperatures in NYC have dropped like a stone - 11C was the high yesterday afternoon, and today's high is anticipated to be only 0C, with significant wind chill factor. By all rights, I should be bundled into my heaviest flannel three-piece, but opted instead for today's suit - three pieces, but of a midweight worsted fabric. For contrast to yesterday's suit, nearly my newest, today's is one of my oldest suits, bought 11 years ago last August. The difference in fit is noticeable - today's suit is much fuller cut, with a longer jacket, and pleated trousers - not the slim profile of yesterday's Phineas Cole, but this suit is easier to move around in.

Suit - Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece
Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Yves Saint Laurent
Cufflinks - Penhaligon's
Pocket square - Ashear
Vintage watch chain
Shoes - Carmina
Scarf & face mask - New & Lingwood
Hat - Selentino, via JJ Hat Center

Product Dress shirt Sleeve Collar Body jewelry
Jeans Hand Oxford shoe Shoe Leg
Smile Photograph Mirror Picture frame Tie
Suit trousers Dress shirt Picture frame Tie Gesture
Suit trousers Outerwear Hat Sun hat Dress shirt
Outerwear Hat Black Zombie Sun hat
Suit trousers Glasses Leg Dress shirt Fashion

#3,116 ·
For contrast to yesterday's suit, nearly my newest, today's is one of my oldest suits, bought 11 years ago last August. The difference in fit is noticeable - today's suit is much fuller cut, with a longer jacket, and pleated trousers - not the slim profile of yesterday's Phineas Cole, but this suit is easier to move around in.

View attachment 54736
Glad I saw this. The length of your jacket looks spot on to my eye.

Frankly as I get older I'm not getting any taller unlike the Larch and Walnut trees in the back beginning to encroach on my eastern view.

I renewed my license a few weeks ago and chuckled at the 5' 7" height. Perhaps a tad optimistic from 2 renewal periods past but 5' 6" may be a stretch today at 62. In any event did not edit it...pure vanity I know.

I wore one of my favorites yesterday, an 1818 Madison cut Brooks camel hair in a dark blue. Of my 3 camel hair jackets it is far and away the most luxurious. I have another in blue I wear more often but I "save" this for special casual occasions or when my hand just happens to run over the fabric and I HAVE to wear it. With the Covid dumbing down of my attire for most of 2020 I've not worn it in over a year.

As the day wore on it felt a bit odd/long so when I returned home last night I went to the BB site and looked at the camel blazers, ( Blazer??? HA!! yup 62), and was shocked to see how high they are cut now. Brooks Brothers?? Next thing you know they'll have vests cut above navel height!

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Madi...bE9BPV0SpmjS8dulm6hGQ9uUrXpV81WgaAumjEALw_wcB

Mine is a 42 R which was a bit of a stretch when I bought it, (typically a 42s), but it just makes the old "rule" of curved finger tips in length....just shy of thumb length. Not sure how or when my arms have shrunk, perhaps my traps and deltoids somehow grew without any effort whatsoever, but the sleeves are now certainly due for a bit of a tweak. More troubling, the body length felt "off", hopefully/maybe just the now long fit of the sleeves.

I did an A/B with a camel colored 42s in the closet, the jacket lengths were close enough, very similar to your fit above but the sleeves certainly have to come up.

Hopefully this will do the trick! But again, glad you posted your picture of this suit!

#3,108 ·
After several days of inclement weather (or weekend), I am finally back in a suit again, which feels a little unfamiliar - strange how a hiatus of only six days can interrupt one's habits.

I've opted to dig something out of the archives, which hasn't been worn in a long while, and which deserves a place in the rotation.

Included in today's photos are a couple from the weekend - myself in casual drag in a scenic, snow-covered Central Park.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Cufflinks - Benson & Clegg, London
Braces - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Brooks Brothers
Hat - Laird, London

Outerwear Dress shirt Tie Textile Sleeve
Oxford shoe Purple Thigh Tints and shades Knee
Glasses Photograph White Smile Picture frame
Suit trousers Dress shirt Human Smile Fashion
Clothing Outerwear Hat Dress shirt Sleeve
Clothing Outerwear Beard Hat Vision care
Suit trousers Smile Dress shirt Fashion Textile
Glasses Sky Vision care Snow Sunglasses
Snow Sky Plant Wood Branch

#3,109 ·
After several days of inclement weather (or weekend), I am finally back in a suit again, which feels a little unfamiliar - strange how a hiatus of only six days can interrupt one's habits.

I've opted to dig something out of the archives, which hasn't been worn in a long while, and which deserves a place in the rotation.

Included in today's photos are a couple from the weekend - myself in casual drag in a scenic, snow-covered Central Park.

Shirt - Tyrwhitt
Tie - Charvet
Braces - Paul Stuart
Overcoat - Joseph Abboud
Scarf - Brooks Brothers
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 54872 View attachment 54873 View attachment 54874 View attachment 54875 View attachment 54876 View attachment 54877 View attachment 54878 View attachment 54879 View attachment 54880
Love the shoes!

#3,115 ·
Should I have chosen a shirt with a more muted pattern? Perhaps. Still, I like how the blue from the shirt provides a contrast to all the green around it.

View attachment 54901
The blue of the shirt does look nice with the tie, but unless the stripes in a shirt are quite muted, I find striped shirts a bit iffy to wear with checked jackets.

#3,111 ·
Midweek, and the weather in NYC is predicted to be milder, with highs near 50F/10C, and sunny. In recognition of this fact, I've opted for lighter weight winter clothing - my suit is unlined, and today's topcoat provides only a modest amount of insulation, which I found out the hard way, in Venice, in late February 2011 (the canals provide an excellent source of cold dampness).

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Braces - Trafalgar, via Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Topcoat - Tyrwhitt
Scarf - Paul Stuart

Brown Outerwear Dress shirt Product Neck
Footwear Brown Wood Dress Tints and shades
Glasses Photograph Smile Mirror Temple
Suit trousers Dress shirt Human Fashion Sleeve
Outerwear Hat Dress shirt Human Fashion
Outerwear Hat Fashion Textile Eyewear
Photograph Dress shirt Fashion Smile Sleeve

#3,112 ·
Midweek, and the weather in NYC is predicted to be milder, with highs near 50F/10C, and sunny. In recognition of this fact, I've opted for lighter weight winter clothing - my suit is unlined, and today's topcoat provides only a modest amount of insulation, which I found out the hard way, in Venice, in late February 2011 (the canals provide an excellent source of cold dampness).

Shirt - Brooks Brothers
Tie - Charvet, via Bergdorf Goodman
Braces - Trafalgar, via Paul Stuart
Cufflinks - Brooks Brothers
Topcoat - Tyrwhitt
Scarf - Paul Stuart

View attachment 54903 View attachment 54904 View attachment 54905 View attachment 54906 View attachment 54907 View attachment 54908 View attachment 54909
The monk straps look great. Are they brown or burgundy?

#3,119 ·
Another bright, sunny winter's day, with temperatures about 46F/8C. I chose today's suit as a background for today's shirt, which is the brightest and most eye-catching item of the ensemble, and which needs a dark background against which to be seen. For the rest of the assembled items, I merely channeled my inner 1980's - red braces and tie.

Tie & braces - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - vintage and no brand name
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson, London
Hat - Laird, London

Outerwear Tie Dress shirt Tartan Sleeve
Footwear Shoe Black Purple Street fashion
Glasses Mirror Temple Smile Dress shirt
Suit trousers Smile Human Dress shirt Fashion
Smile Hat Human Tartan Fashion
Hat Black Fashion Textile Eyewear
Suit trousers Glasses Smile Leg Dress shirt

#3,120 ·
Another bright, sunny winter's day, with temperatures about 46F/8C. I chose today's suit as a background for today's shirt, which is the brightest and most eye-catching item of the ensemble, and which needs a dark background against which to be seen. For the rest of the assembled items, I merely channeled my inner 1980's - red braces and tie.

Tie & braces - Brooks Brothers
Pocket square - vintage and no brand name
Scarf - Harvie & Hudson, London
Hat - Laird, London

View attachment 54930 View attachment 54931 View attachment 54932 View attachment 54933 View attachment 54934 View attachment 54935 View attachment 54936
The shirt and tie combination make this outfit really pop!