What Do You Cook from Scratch? What's Your Favorite Dish to Make from Scratch?

MaxBuck

Elite Member
Please, give us full details. I need just such a sauce.
OK. As the veggies are steaming (I use a Teflon pot so I don't need the basket), I add a tbsp of unsalted butter, a shake of onion powder (I'd use real onions if it weren't for a sensitivity of wife to them), a shake each of dill, oregano and basil, and plenty of black pepper. Then I add sufficient lowfat sour cream to just coat the veg, add a tsp of fresh grated horseradish, and finish off with a dusting of Wondra quick-mixing flour (try it; it's great to thicken any sauce) and stir to a creamy consistency. Sea salt to taste.

jeremyn87

Starting Member
I love making North African food. Dips, salads, meat and fish/couscous, stews, soups etc
I also love making Arabic, Indian, or Central Asian pilafs, kebabs, some Persian rices and stews; mostly foods which are more aromatic

Dcr5468

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Chicken andouille gumbo. Smoky delicious andouille from Wayne Jacobs Smokehouse in LaPlace LA. Need a couple of cool fronts before I take on the task.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whitman

Starting Member
We cook a lot from scratch. I love soups, especially during the winter and we cook tomato soup, lentil soup and butternut squash soup, all pureed using an Oyster blender. Other food we cook from scratch is pasta sauce. When peaches are in season, which doesn't last very long, peach cobblers and a peach cheesecake are favorites.

dks202

One of my favorites, South Texas Chili. Lots of ground beef, lamb, pork, venison. Also cubed steak. Simmer in chili powder, water, tomato paste, sage, oregano, rosemary, salt, onions, garlic. give it about 3-4 hours, add more water as needed. a little beer and cornmeal at the end. Should be thick and hearty/

Dhaller

Elite Member
My wife is the cook in our house, so the things I make are mostly stock items or just particular specialties I like.

Stock items I make include hummus, dulce de leche, applesauce, and salsa (well, that's not cooked). Any reason to break out the Staub ware, basically.

I'm constantly experimenting with pulled pork BBQ - it's simple, but it's a matter of nuance between the rub (garlic, salt, pepper) and sauces.

Chili, sometimes vegetarian, sometimes loaded with meat. I do a Texas-style chili (meaning actual chili - chili is meant to be slopped onto beans, not to have beans in it!) I've won an award with chili!

I actually used to bake a lot, which is more my speed because it's very precise (I prefer the measured quality of baking to the slapdash estimation of "cooking"). Breads in particular. I do enjoy making a custom foccaccia for use in making grilled sandwiches - I up the olive oil in the dough so the bread can be grilled hotter without burning. Great for grilled cheese with harder to melt cheeses!

DH

Regent1879

My Traditional Wisconsin Fish Fry. From the fish I caught that AM in my secret breaking mixture. Paired with some home brewed lager beer, home made sourdough bread or potato pancakes, and something fresh and green... Boy I miss summer.

jd202

I (quite happily) do all the cooking my house, and make many different things from scratch, but the things I take the most pride in are my home-cured sauerkraut and homemade pastrami. Yum.

tatface

Starting Member
Fied tortillas! My favourite dish that is simple to cook. So many, many years ago I set out to start frying my own from regular tortillas and now this is my signature dish

Last edited by a moderator:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
This past weekend we prepared a bit more than 10 pounds of Apple- Bourbon pulled pork in the slow cooker, paired with store bought baked beans and coleslaw, for the family dinner. With a 'baker's dozen' sitting around the table, there were left over beans and coleslaw, but the pulled pork seemed to vaprorize into thin air! LOL. ;)

This past weekend we prepared a bit more than 10 pounds of Apple- Bourbon pulled pork in the slow cooker, paired with store bought baked beans and coleslaw, for the family dinner. With a 'baker's dozen' sitting around the table, there were left over beans and coleslaw, but the pulled pork seemed to vaprorize into thin air! LOL. ;)
In my family, the pork would still be there. However, the bourbon would have definitely vanished.

derum

Inactive
Once a month I cook a traditional English Sunday dinner for friends. (Roast Chicken, roast potatoes, parsnips, Yorkshire pudding, et al).
It started off as something for a few expats, but has now become a bit unwieldy as “the natives” have gathered in ever increasing numbers!

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
I seem to have a talent for 'refrigerator soup'. Not that I can't make up a good pot deliberately but somehow, scanning the shelves for leftovers and then making them into a pot on the back of the stove works quite well. Yesterday i took the leftover smoked pork from the Fourth, a pot of roasted summer vegetables that had been under a roast chicken, some leftover brown jasmine rice and dumped them into a pot of ham bouillon with half a cup of dry sherry. The result was nothing less than serendipitous. The sad part is that I'll never be able to do this again once this batch is consumed.

VPCEH91

Suspended
Fregola, stock, wine vinegar, dry chardonnay, parsley, EVOO, salt, and slivers of garlic make a mean carb. Cook like a rissotto.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange