Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I'm ashamed to admit I have never seen On the Waterfront. I'll be adding it to my queue...
Well worth it. The movie spends the time necessary building the details of the story and the characters so that the climactic moments are deep and meaningful.

It doesn't hurt that the cast is incredibly strong - yes, Brando, but also, Steiger (never gave a bad performance in his life), Malden (his best role ever?) and Cobb are at the tops of their game.

You also have the young and seraphic Eva Marie Saint trying desperately to wash away all the filth, corruptions, despair and dissolution that seeped into Brando's character from the waterfront. And she looks really good trying.

And it is filmed in glorious Black and White.

Finally, there's some good trad clothes eye candy sprinkled throughout.

gamma68

Honors Member
My wife told me she recently read an article that stated a woman shouldn't wear tweed if she wants to avoid looking "old." Something along the lines of tweed looking "dowdy."

Now I view that Ralph Lauren photo from a different perspective. Would those outfits look good on women who aren't slender 20-somethings?

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The gal looking over my left shoulder in my avatar pic just brought me, sitting before this damned keyboard, a fresh cup of Joe, served with a brilliant smile! What a nice thing to do. Now if that isn't a Trad girlfriend, I just don't know what would fit that description? :) ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
My wife told me she recently read an article that stated a woman shouldn't wear tweed if she wants to avoid looking "old." Something along the lines of tweed looking "dowdy."

Now I view that Ralph Lauren photo from a different perspective. Would those outfits look good on women who aren't slender 20-somethings?
IMHO, it's all facts, specifics and circumstances. To be sure, I understand the "heavy" matronly tweed look she's referencing.

But with a pair of jeans (as shown in the RL add), a well-tailored cut to the tweed sport coat, and the rest of the outfit having a fresh and simple feel, if the woman, of any age, has the right outlook and attitude, it can look young and attractive.

For men or women, dressing trad - especially if one hews tightly to the heyday's modus operandi - can come off a bit dowdy or, at least, uniform and dated. But if the clothes are well tailored, combined in a fresh way or with some modern elements sprinkled in - it can look very young and sporty (especially, now that a lot of the Trad look has been coopted by the Hipsters).

You have to know yourself and what works or doesn't.

ouinon

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Tweeds certainly didn't look dowdy on Lady Mary of Downton Abbey!

Of course, she is very young and slender as well.

But I agree with FF that many trad staples have dowdy/costumey potential, and that most can avoid this potential simply by being tailored & worn in a contemporary (read: not necessarily trendy) way.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Tweeds certainly didn't look dowdy on Lady Mary of Downton Abbey!

Of course, she is very young and slender as well.

But I agree with FF that many trad staples have dowdy/costumey potential, and that most can avoid this potential simply by being tailored & worn in a contemporary (read: not necessarily trendy) way.
I agree with all the above, but would also add that Lady Mary (Michelle Dockery) can't look bad and is built to wear clothes - tall, lean, angular, well proportioned, long limbed. Even in her new show, "Good Behavior," where she's supposed to be a low-rent, drug addict, grifter, she elevates the "street" clothes she wears to almost casual chic. Some people have just been touch from above to almost always look good.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange