eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
The English equivalent of Aden's PTB and they look like a brand new version of my 45+ year old Allen Edmond's shell cordovan Leeds. In later years AE redisigned the Toe Box of their Leeds, making it narrower, and ruined the design, for me at least. However, my old friends continue to serve me well! May you long wear those shoes and may you do so only in good health. ;)

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
These shoes are my holy grail. I will be travelling to DC in April with a budget of around $3000-3500 to amp up my wardrobe (ocbds, blazers, trousers, etc.) and hopefully I'll be able to clinch a pair!
You might want to reach out to the store now as (and this is just me saying it, I don't know the store's policy) they might be willing to hold your size aside for you (and/or order it in from another store now if they don't currently have it) if they know you are coming and that you want that model in your size.

In the NYC Alden store, they carry a lot, but not everything in every size, so checking in with the Washington store now might help you. Good luck / have a great trip.

Nimzowitsch

You might want to reach out to the store now as (and this is just me saying it, I don't know the store's policy) they might be willing to hold your size aside for you (and/or order it in from another store now if they don't currently have it) if they know you are coming and that you want that model in your size.

In the NYC Alden store, they carry a lot, but not everything in every size, so checking in with the Washington store now might help you. Good luck / have a great trip.
Thanks for the suggestion. That is actually a good idea, however, since I live in Vienna I don't know what my size in Alden is, I reckon I am between 8.5 and 9 US and I doubt they'd keep both sizes for me :)

Also, since I intend to buy at least 8-10 OCBD shirts, at least 1 sport coat and a few trousers (alas, all at full price from BB and J. Press) I am unsure that I will be able to afford the Alden's longwings this time around.

On another note, I will be looking to add another pair of penny loafers to my collection. I already own a pair of Church's Pembrey (https://www.church-footwear.com/eu/...leather_loafer.EDB003_9FG_F0ACL_F_000000.html). I really love the look of the GH Bass Larson, but all the negative feedback I've read on the Trad Forum has sort of put me off them. I mean, they're no Alden - I get it - but are they really that horrible?

Can you, perhaps, recommend a pair of penny loafers that I can get while I am in the US. Preferably ones which are as similar to the GH Bass as possible, besides Alden's LHS? I looked up AE's selection and was a bit overwhelmed by the variety..

P.S. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forum!

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Thanks for the suggestion. That is actually a good idea, however, since I live in Vienna I don't know what my size in Alden is, I reckon I am between 8.5 and 9 US and I doubt they'd keep both sizes for me :)

Also, since I intend to buy at least 8-10 OCBD shirts, at least 1 sport coat and a few trousers (alas, all at full price from BB and J. Press) I am unsure that I will be able to afford the Alden's longwings this time around.

On another note, I will be looking to add another pair of penny loafers to my collection. I already own a pair of Church's Pembrey (https://www.church-footwear.com/eu/...leather_loafer.EDB003_9FG_F0ACL_F_000000.html). I really love the look of the GH Bass Larson, but all the negative feedback I've read on the Trad Forum has sort of put me off them. I mean, they're no Alden - I get it - but are they really that horrible?

Can you, perhaps, recommend a pair of penny loafers that I can get while I am in the US. Preferably ones which are as similar to the GH Bass as possible, besides Alden's LHS? I looked up AE's selection and was a bit overwhelmed by the variety..

P.S. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forum!
I understand your points on Alden; it might still be worth reaching out as they might be willing to discuss size with you and have the one you might want in stock even if you don't buy it (they need inventory), but again, I get it - I tend not to ask a lot of a store if I'm not all but certain to buy.

Regarding Bass, since you asked, I think they are a $90 shoe - nothing more or less. If you want an inexpensive pair of pennies to wear - and you know they aren't the best quality and won't last that long - then buy a pair, no harm in that. I have a pair of $13 Old Navy sneakers that I like a lot.

I don't know of a similar-to-Bass pair of pennies, but I've been eyeing these Rancourt pennies for myself:

I just can't come up with even a fake stretch of a reason to buy them. Also, since Rancourt is a catalogue company, I don't know that being in the US will make your purchase experience easier.

Thank you for your kind comment. Hope this helps and that you have a great trip to the US.

WatchmanJimG

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
These shoes are my holy grail. I will be travelling to DC in April with a budget of around $3000-3500 to amp up my wardrobe (ocbds, blazers, trousers, etc.) and hopefully I'll be able to clinch a pair!
Happy Hunting! You should be able to do OK with that budget. Just curious--have you checked availability of the 975 via the usual sources? I ordered mine through O'Connell's a few months ago with no drama.

rpm

Starting Member
I'm wearing dark brown, sueded Vicomte A chukkas from the early 2010s (got them new last fall from a destocker) and passion-red over-the-calf, 100% mercerized cotton socks from The Nines.

I like these shoes but I must say I really wouldn't recommend any Vicomte A shoes from about 2015 or so onward. Before then, they were actually just rebrands of Mansfeld shoes, which are incredibly good quality. Winter 2014-15 was the season Vicomte A in general started going downhill.

The socks: well, I like The Nines because they are one of the few depots to offer a large variety of colors in calf-length and 100% cotton. But the mesh is EXTREMELY fine, to the point where they almost have to be considered hoisery rather than socks. Carpeting in particular is really rough on them. I find I have to remove them as soon as I remove my shoes to avoid damaging them prematurely, so if you wear them anywhere shoe removal is custom, make sure you don't mind being barefoot in that place. :)

KDavid Umlauf

Starting Member
So I'm wearing a pair of 10 year old boat shoes from Cole Haan. Navy with orange trim. purchased at the Allen Edmunds factory in Port Washington. I was assuming that the A.E. company bought multiple pairs of competitor shoes to see what they were all doing.

Like all boat shoes they quicly molded to my feet and they actually take polish pretty well too.

eagle2250

So I'm wearing a pair of 10 year old boat shoes from Cole Haan. Navy with orange trim. purchased at the Allen Edmunds factory in Port Washington. I was assuming that the A.E. company bought multiple pairs of competitor shoes to see what they were all doing.

Like all boat shoes they quicly molded to my feet and they actually take polish pretty well too.
May you long wear those boat shoes and may you do so only in good health. Also, welcome to AAAC. I am looking forward to your future postings! ;)

KDavid Umlauf

Starting Member
Thanks very much Eagle 2250. I Presume that you are Andy of AAAC.
I'm something of a clothes horse but have been a ready to wear buyer for a long time. I have always liked Brooks Brothers and have really since before Lisa Birnbach made them hip. But, she wrote that book when I was 20 now I'm nearly 60. As it turns out your appearance changes as you grow older. Fortunately, I'm roughly the same build as I was 40 years ago (really, I am and I feel damned lucky for that). But, two things have happened. Their styles have changed quite a bit and have gone seemingly a little more fashion forward than I am (I'd be a Trad guy on your site). I've also run into a variation of Vivaldi's conflict between harmony and invention; to whit, the conflict between fashion and tuition. And Brooks is not helpful in this area either

Other manufacturers such as Paul Stuart's are beautiful, but pricier still. More modest manufacturers, such as Tommy Hilfiger, look....well.....more modest.

What to do? This is one of the reasons that I've signed up here.

eagle2250

Thanks very much Eagle 2250. I Presume that you are Andy of AAAC.
I'm something of a clothes horse but have been a ready to wear buyer for a long time. I have always liked Brooks Brothers and have really since before Lisa Birnbach made them hip. But, she wrote that book when I was 20 now I'm nearly 60. As it turns out your appearance changes as you grow older. Fortunately, I'm roughly the same build as I was 40 years ago (really, I am and I feel damned lucky for that). But, two things have happened. Their styles have changed quite a bit and have gone seemingly a little more fashion forward than I am (I'd be a Trad guy on your site). I've also run into a variation of Vivaldi's conflict between harmony and invention; to whit, the conflict between fashion and tuition. And Brooks is not helpful in this area either

Other manufacturers such as Paul Stuart's are beautiful, but pricier still. More modest manufacturers, such as Tommy Hilfiger, look....well.....more modest.

What to do? This is one of the reasons that I've signed up here.
I am not Andy, but a great admirer of Andy, this Sites creator and a frequent contributor. I am, however, a long term member of AAAC and have served as a moderator for a period of time. Thanks for the background information on yourself...it helps put things in perspective. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.