Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Does anyone else find themselves spending more time in these: View attachment 41888
I wear a pair of driving mocs as my slippers and, other than for a few grocery store runs, I haven't been out of them for over two weeks now and, with NYC expected to be locked down for weeks, I assume they will be my footwear for the foreseeable future. I literally have worn the same two outfits - both comprised of old chinos, an old T-shirt and an old sweat jacket - that get rotated as we do wash, since this event started.

Steel Rim

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Thanks for the suggestion. That is actually a good idea, however, since I live in Vienna I don't know what my size in Alden is, I reckon I am between 8.5 and 9 US and I doubt they'd keep both sizes for me :)

Also, since I intend to buy at least 8-10 OCBD shirts, at least 1 sport coat and a few trousers (alas, all at full price from BB and J. Press) I am unsure that I will be able to afford the Alden's longwings this time around.

On another note, I will be looking to add another pair of penny loafers to my collection. I already own a pair of Church's Pembrey (https://www.church-footwear.com/eu/...leather_loafer.EDB003_9FG_F0ACL_F_000000.html). I really love the look of the GH Bass Larson, but all the negative feedback I've read on the Trad Forum has sort of put me off them. I mean, they're no Alden - I get it - but are they really that horrible?

Can you, perhaps, recommend a pair of penny loafers that I can get while I am in the US. Preferably ones which are as similar to the GH Bass as possible, besides Alden's LHS? I looked up AE's selection and was a bit overwhelmed by the variety..

P.S. I really enjoy reading your posts on the forum!
Take a look at J Crew Grant Stone loafers. Bass products are not what they used to be...Safe travels.

Corcovado

For those watching this thread, got a question about Moccasins from an Ask Andy member.

Let's see if we can help him out:
I would point him in the direction of the Rancourt "Rangeley beefroll moc"

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Would you mind sharing what these are? I need a nice slipper for home.
I don't know what kind Greg D's are, but Quoddy, Bean and Rancourt all make fleece-lined slippers in a similar style. There are several others too, but a lot of companies only put their fleece-lined slippers out in the fall.

drpeter

The issues are very minor, although the scratch may bother me even though it’s 99% invisible from a couple feet away.

View attachment 32311
View attachment 32312
I just saw this post. The discussion reminded me of the point made in Japanese aesthetics about imperfections and even damage adding an extraordinary dimension to the beauty of the object. The word for it in Japanese is wabi-sabi. The principle arises from old Buddhist ideas about transience and impermanence. In the domain of shoes, I can think of unpolished full grain leather, which carries a record of various imperfections, like cuts, scratches and insect bites.

Although rarely done, if these are made into shoes with the imperfections visible, but beneath a softer layer of dye and polish, then the shoes become quite distinctive and those marks, unique. I find this aesthetic particularly appealing in furniture -- I have several old pieces, beat-up, never re-finished, but carrying a record of the "life" they led. This lends a uniqueness to them that is priceless, and a distinctiveness when set against a clean, empty wall that is remarkable.

So I would suggest that the scratches are part of the life of these shoes. I have a pair of lovely burgundy calfskin Crockett and Jones captoes with a clear deep scratch on the left toe-cap that has been covered over with polish but still visible on close inspection. I love these shoes all the more for that imperfection.

A slim book on related matters of beauty by the great novelist Junichiro Tanizaki: In Praise of Shadows (translation published by Vintage, London 2001). I think Japanese ideas on aesthetics are worth study, even in cultures that are alien to them.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
A slim book on related matters of beauty by the great novelist Junichiro Tanizaki: In Praise of Shadows (translation published by Vintage, London 2001). I think Japanese ideas on aesthetics are worth study, even in cultures that are alien to them.
Love his "The Makioka Sisters." It's one of those novels that I think back on frequently. Also enjoyed "The Maids."

Regarding the "Makioka Sisters," when my girlfriend takes a day to play with some of her gal pals, we now refer to it as a "Makioka Sisters" day.

drpeter

Indeed! That is Tanizaki's most well-known novel, and a great achievement. It was also made into a wonderful film in 1983 by Kon Ichikawa, the well-known Japanese filmmaker. Have you seen it? Criterion Collection has a beautifully remastered issue of the film:

https://www.criterion.com/films/27619-the-makioka-sisters

Trailer from Criterion (it shows the gorgeous cinematography of Kiyoshi Hasegawa):

I have been teaching a film class for seniors in my university's senior learning program -- now on Zoom, of course. One of the films we will be watching independently and talking about in the Zoom meeting, is The Makioka Sisters.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Indeed! That is Tanizaki's most well-known novel, and a great achievement. It was also made into a wonderful film in 1983 by Kon Ichikawa, the well-known Japanese filmmaker. Have you seen it? Criterion Collection has a beautifully remastered issue of the film:

https://www.criterion.com/films/27619-the-makioka-sisters

Trailer from Criterion (it shows the gorgeous cinematography of Kiyoshi Hasegawa):

I have been teaching a film class for seniors in my university's senior learning program -- now on Zoom, of course. One of the films we will be watching independently and talking about in the Zoom meeting, is The Makioka Sisters.
I did see it and enjoyed it. I hunted it out after I read the novel.

iam.mike

Partner / Administrator
Staff member
Got a note on Sep 05 that member @KDavid Umlauf was wearing:

30+ year old biking shoes from Performance biking. They are lace to toe "tour" type bike shoes that look a lot like regular sneakers and are meant to be used with old fashioned toe clips, but can also be walked in

My two sons and I took a great 35 mile bike ride today!
Thanks for sharing KDavid! Sounds like you had an epic day with your sons!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.