Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Todays footwear are Timberland 3-Eyelet Camp Mocs, fitted with the Gum lugged soles. Comfortable to walk all over in and durable beyond one's expectations! ;)
My first boat shoe - when I had no idea of their history or their place in Ivy style (since I had no idea about Ivy style) - was when I went to college and saw an ad in the college orientation guide for a dark burnt-orange boat shoe from Timberland and I wanted it, but it was (from memory) $80. This was when Timberland was still a highish-end company.

Now, I was making just above minimum wage, $4 an hour in '81 (which was what I was living on and paying my tuition with), so this was a tough savings slog. But I did it and, by the spring (took that long), I bought them and wore them almost every single day for the rest of my college time. By then, they were beat to hell, and looked great.

It was only when I got to Wall Street full time after college that I started to learn about Ivy style and that, coincidentally, I had bought an icon of the Ivy canon when I saved up for those boat shoes.

That's it, late on a Friday, your mention of Timberland sparked that memory.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.