What is Really Trad.

tom22

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
There have been a lot of threads but there hasn't been a lot of clarification. But I think there is a list.
1. Button down shirts from Brooks or JPress
2. Shetland sweaters made in Scotland.
3. Tartan trousers in Black Watch, Dress Gordon or Royal Stewart Patterns. (Think press or Orvis).
4. Shoes made in England or by an old new england maker.
5. Ties from Brooks or Press.
6. A Camel Hair coat with a half belt.
7. A school boy scarf or a scarf in a cashmere plaid.
8. Wool grey flannel pants.
9. Embroidered whatever.
10. A duffel coat (If you live in NE).
11. bean boots (if you live in NE).
12. Underwear from Brooks or Press.
13. Suits from Brooks or Press or some English maker that you were referred to by your father.
14. Argyle socks or the dress ones you get at Brooks or Press.
That is about it. This is the way a trad dresses. Head to toe.
Get a few dance lessons. Become witty and charming and read a lot of books and subscribe to the Times, Post or Globe and that is about it. People say you can't fake it but actually that probably isn't true. Lots of people do and no one minds.
And take some sailing lessons.

mpcsb

Inactive User
For those of us in the mid-west ( and prob. the South as well) please include some riding lessons. Dressage competition is optional, cross-country de rigeur.
Cheers

VS

Tom, what about the summer? Your list seems a bit winter-centric.

<h6>"Buy the best, and you will only cry once." - Chinese proverb</h6>

Havana Jake

Starting Member
in addition:

Jack Purcells
Croc belt (well-worn) with silver "engine-turned" buckle
Dirty Bucks
off-white wool-cotton socks
long, white pants for lawn tennis
sunglasses with non-name-brand horn rims

n/a

Thorough lists. Tom, you're Press-and-Brooks-centric, as always. Appropriately so, since they wrote the curriculum.

Some of what Bill said is true to the point of being funny, especially his # 11: "At least four navy blazers (3 roll to 2) for every season being certain to have one at the ready even if one is at the cleaners." Having just decided to invest in a third navy blazer, I concur and chuckle at the same time.

Cheers,
Harris

kforton

Since my wife is not as trad as me (and I do deviate once in a while), does anyone know where to get a needlepoint belt? I've always wanetd one but don't have the lady to make it for me.

familyman

quote:Originally posted by kforton

Since my wife is not as trad as me (and I do deviate once in a while), does anyone know where to get a needlepoint belt? I've always wanetd one but don't have the lady to make it for me.
You don't need ovaries to do needlepoint, just hands.

John Adams

kforton

Well put, my friend. Any idea where I can get a kit or something like that help me in this endeavor. It is trad, after all, to have your SO make it for you; I didn't think it was THAT sexist.

familyman

quote:Originally posted by kforton

Well put, my friend. Any idea where I can get a kit or something like that help me in this endeavor. It is trad, after all, to have your SO make it for you; I didn't think it was THAT sexist.

Sorry, I typed that with a big smile on my face, no harm meant. It's a phrase that my mother is fond of. It's also the reason that I taught my wife to sew and not the other way around. I have a few needlepoint books inherited from my wife's grandmother that have patterns in them for needlepoint belts, I'm sure you can still find likewise at most craft and sewing stores. Best bet would be to find a local shop and go ask the nice ladies (they're always ladies, go figure) for help. My experience is that they're more than happy to help a gentleman get started with a craft like that.

John Adams

Blackadder

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Not to cast aspersions on men who needlepoint, but I'm afraid you'll have to count the loathsome and repellant Duke among their number.

tintin

Ray Ban Aviators (decal removed with rubbing alcohol)
Breton red trousers and shorts
Madras. Lots of Madra.
Flannel lined jeans
Boxers sticking out from under tennis shorts
Untied bow tie
White canvas Sperrys
Sockless Alden Cordovan tassels
Timberland Construction Boots with tops untied with jeans
Henri Lloyd outerwear and backpacks
'03 Springfield Rifle sling belt
These are a few of my favorite things.
When the Italian Jet Trash look strikes...
When the closed vent bee stings...
I simply remember my favorite things and then...I don't feel so bad.

Brownshoe

Great lists!

I can only add some "optional" items:

collar bar

Argyle socks

secret crush on blonde Ben Silver model

antipathy of certain AAACers and most of the Style Forum crowd

first-name-basis relationship with David Wilder

tortured, ambivalent relationship with Brooks Brothers

bad haircut

tattersall button-downs

some ties you should get rid of because theyre stained/frayed, but don't because you just like them and life's too short

the good fortune to talk about this stuff with intelligent, articulate, good-spirited guys like Stephenson, Harris, Coolidge, Markus, and the rest of you trad nuts

Tom Buchanan

If you are looking for some great needlepoint belts and dont mind paying a bit (about $150), I highly recommend Smathers and Branson. They have a website. Great looking belts carried by several fine stores (Sherman Pickey in DC).

I have been thinking of commissioning a custom belt from them. They do a few prep school belts in the area.

kforton

quote:Originally posted by dopey

quote:Originally posted by Brownshoe
. . .

. . .

This is an example of trying to manufacture group identity and cohesion by inventing an enemy.

If it makes you feel good to huddle together and imagine that you are bravely weathering the antipathy of the Eurotrash-dandy-fashionista horde massing outside the [woody] wagon circle, that’s fine, but someday you will have to face up to the fact that nobody really hates you.

Now, THAT was funny.

Brownshoe

quote:Originally posted by dopey

quote:Originally posted by Brownshoe
. . .

. . .

This is an example of trying to manufacture group identity and cohesion by inventing an enemy.

If it makes you feel good to huddle together and imagine that you are bravely weathering the antipathy of the Eurotrash-dandy-fashionista horde massing outside the [woody] wagon circle, that’s fine, but someday you will have to face up to the fact that nobody really hates you.

Well, no. Tongue was firmly in cheek--

but I'm not inventing anything. Certain of our members delight in taking unprovoked cheap shots at the "misshapen," pear-shaped," etc. sack suited folks, and any time I've seen trad mentioned on the Other Forum, someone feels obliged to remark on how much they hate the look and how Ask Andy is full of boring old traddled (did I just coin a new word?) farts. There are entire threads on the topic.

That being said, it doesn't really bother me. the level of hostility, in proportion to the subject, is actually sort of funny. Like those old Steve Allen routines where he would read innoccuous Op-Ed pieces in a crazy old man voice.

As for "group identity," I consider myself a proud member of the Ask Andy nation: the Savile Row and Italian bespoke enthusiasts, non-sequitur-spouting enigmas, LV tux-fancying tyros, and epic Dandies are my brothers, and God bless them.

Pax Noel.

Le Shoe Brown

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.