what to wear with a grey herringbone tweed jacket

tocqueville

Suspended
I spy such a thing on ebay and am wondering what one wears with it. Dark jeans would look great. But for dressier stuff, what colors? Navy, I'm guessing. But what else?

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Agreed. A grey herringbone tweed is about the most useful sport coat ( and I mean that in the old sense of a coat to wear to sporting activities) there is. Dress it up, dress it down; it will still look good. Personally, I think it's even more useful than a Navy blue odd jacket.

tocqueville

Suspended
A photograph would be useful.

tweed.jpg

Oldsarge

Moderator and Bon Vivant
Just what I envisioned. Yes , as the Twizz said, navy, black, dark brown in any material from tweed through worsted and corduroy to denim. A cap or an Irish walking hat in the same tweed would be a nice accessory, too.

arkirshner

Honors Member
Of the above suggestions I wouldn't go with navy, it looks like a navy blazer/grey slacks turned upside down. In addition to the above suggestions I would add a light grey flannel with strong contrast in shirt and tie and perhaps a contrasting sweater or vest.

tocqueville

Suspended
Just what I envisioned. Yes , as the Twizz said, navy, black, dark brown in any material from tweed through worsted and corduroy to denim. A cap or an Irish walking hat in the same tweed would be a nice accessory, too.

Let's not forget the flask of whiskey.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Of the above suggestions I wouldn't go with navy, it looks like a navy blazer/grey slacks turned upside down. In addition to the above suggestions I would add a light grey flannel with strong contrast in shirt and tie and perhaps a contrasting sweater or vest.

+1

No to navy trousers and yes to light grey.

tocqueville

Suspended
+1

No to navy trousers and yes to light grey.

I think the challenge with tweed is not looking old or frumpy. I have an olive tweed 3/2 roll that my wife complains is an old man's jacket. It strikes me that the solution to that is to make sure that things match well; that whatever shirt I have (unless I'm going for a casual look with, say, an OCBD) is sharp; that the tie/pocket square are sharp. How one does that is not clear to me.

Matt S

Connoisseur
Black and white tweed never looked younger and fresher than on Robert Redford in Three Days of the Condor. He wore it with a casual lower half, but I don't see why it couldn't be worn with charcoal flannel trousers and dress shoes and still look great.

Pliny

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I think the challenge with tweed is not looking old or frumpy. I have an olive tweed 3/2 roll that my wife complains is an old man's jacket. It strikes me that the solution to that is to make sure that things match well; that whatever shirt I have (unless I'm going for a casual look with, say, an OCBD) is sharp; that the tie/pocket square are sharp. How one does that is not clear to me.

+1 re: challenge to make not look frumpy. but a solid grey looks less frumpy than a brown.

There's hardly a more versatile sport coat than grey herringbone. The question is, what shouldn't you match it with?

hockeyinsider

Elite Member

I don't think you can go gray and gray.

hockeyinsider

Elite Member

If it's just gray and no black in the herringbone tweed, I might replace those black buttons with dark brown horn buttons.

You could wear some nice moleskin pants -- either formal trousers or casual cut pants; Hackett and Bookster are recommended. A pair of darker, slim-fit jeans would look nice. Brown flannel trousers would compliment it as well. Khaki-color chinos could work too, but I think they may come off as too cliche.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.

Deals/Steals

Trad Store Exchange