Men's Clothing Forums banner

What watches are you wearing?

27K views 82 replies 38 participants last post by  TheGreatTwizz 
#1 ·
A few of my favorite timepieces from my ever growing collection. In order of what gets the most wrist time. I have about 30 watches total which range from el cheapo Casio G-Shocks, Invicta, Pulsar, Seiko Kinetic, up through my automatics Tag Heurer, Panerai, Rolex, and my favorite, Audemars Piguet.

Enjoy!

Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Montauk Highway w/ custom Particolare Capolavoro Black Hornback Crocodile strap

Panerai 312 w/ custom Heroic18 Black Alligator strap

Rolex Milgauss

Rolex Daytona two tone w/ diamond markers

See less See more
#12 ·
I thought this was a joke at first.
I'm still hoping it is. I fear it may not be, though.

None of those watches have any business being worn with a suit
I'm inclined to agree. But to each his own, I suppose.

Unfortunately, my watch budget can't really stretch to an Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Offshore Montauk Highway at the moment. Do you think I could just obtain a lead disk, about the size of a pie plate and an inch or two thick, and strap it to my wrist? What if I painted some sub-dials on it first? :)

'Course, I'd still have to have my tailor let out the left cuffs on all of my dress shirts.
--
Michael

#16 ·
Most days, I spend a fair number of my waking hours not working at my computer, driving my car, watching tv, or listening to the radio. (Nor are tv and radio time updates continuous.) Yet, I might still want to know what time it is. Glancing at my wrist is easier and less obtrusive a way of checking the time, than whipping out a cell phone would be.

Besides, a wedding ring and a wristwatch are about the only pieces of jewelry which it is entirely unobjectionable for a man to wear on nearly any occasion. As I'm unmarried, that means my wristwatch is all I've got. :)
--
Michael
(Wearing a vintage Omega Seamaster, at the moment. From back when they were still more like dress watches, than diving/sport watches.)

#17 ·
Is there a point to wear a watch at all? :) You have it on your mobile, laptop, car dashboard, TV, hear updates from the radio... Personally not against watches though :)
I actually didn't wear a watch for over 5 years when I got out of the service. I was at home (plenty of clocks around), in the car (clock on radio), or at work (clock on computer). It was kind of liberating for the most part. I also didn't carry a cell phone (either at work or at home). It wasn't until I started running again that I bought another watch, and started wearing it regularly. I do enjoy them.

#19 ·
The Milgauss does not look that much different from the Rolex Explorer I that is on my wrist right now. Neither has the bubble magnifier that makes the DateJust models so obvious.
If you put them side by side, you'll see the obvious thickness from the Milgauss's faraday cage. Plus, the orange lightning bolt is a little more dramatic than the Explorer's second hand.

Is there a point to wear a watch at all? :) You have it on your mobile, laptop, car dashboard, TV, hear updates from the radio... Personally not against watches though :)
You'd think, right? I have an anniversary milgauss (green crystal, and the 3/6/9 markers are orange) that's out for service, the strap on my air king broke, and the fiancée wears my datejust; I've been without a watch for four days and I'm HATING it. Yes, it is much easier to wear a watch than to pull the cell phone out.

#20 ·
Cufflinks are also part of typical male jewellery :) And then a nice phone (almost a must in modern world :)), glasses, lighter, pen, money clip, iPad... :)
Perhaps, Seiko is correct in its advertisement - it's your watch that tells most about who you are. Nevertheless, while I really like my watch (had a few in the past, now only one), I wear it only during weekends - I have enough other points of interest in my clothing :)

#21 ·
Cufflinks are also part of typical male jewellery
I believe my words were, "entirely unobjectionable for a man to wear on nearly any occasion." I don't think cuff links qualify, given that I (like a significant percentage of men) sometimes wear polo shirts (no cuff link opportunities there), or long sleeve shirts without a suit or sport coat (and I don't care to wear cuff links without a suit or sport coat). Cuff links are more properly jewelry which can be worn on some (relatively formal) occasions.

And then a nice phone
While I own a cell phone, I've never worn it. Sometimes it sits in a coat pocket, or maybe in a briefcase, or not infrequently it gets left in the car. I certainly don't regard it as an item of jewelry.

I suppose if one needs eyeglasses, they could be thought of as jewelry, although I'm not sure a medical (in this case, visual) aid really qualifies on this count. I mean, if I undergo hip replacement surgery, I don't think the cane I'd use during my recovery would constitute a jewelry item. If I'm undergoing orthodontia, I don't really consider my braces to be jewelry - and they'd even be metallic. (Please, nobody feel compelled to bring up braces' bastard cousin, "Grillz." If you seriously contend that it's unobjectionable for a man to wear Grillz on most any occasion, you and I lack sufficient common ground to fruitfully discuss anything.)

I'll grant you that I do wear sunglasses sometimes. Hardly "on nearly any occasion" though - wearing sunglasses indoors, or at night, has always struck me as a ridiculous practice. (And before you get all pedantic on me, fine, I acknowledge that a miniscule percentage of men might need to wear sunglasses indoors and at night for ophthalmological reasons.)

Carried (not really worn) by a rather limited percentage of men.

Okay, fair enough. I routinely carry around a fountain pen. True, most men regard pens purely as cheap, disposable tools, not as jewelry. But then, most men probably regard wristwatches nearly the same way. So fine, for many men, a nice pen is potentially a form of jewelry which is basically acceptable in a wide variety of situations.

But I wouldn't say that I wear my pen.

money clip
Okay, I guess for the minority of men who use money clips, they could be seen as jewelry. Still not really something that's worn, strictly speaking.

Don't own one, nor do the vast majority of men own one. As opposed to wristwatches, which are owned by a majority of American men. And again, one doesn't typically wear an iPad. I suppose even if you clipped it to your belt or something, it would still be an item which you're carrying around, as opposed to wearing.

Perhaps, Seiko is correct in its advertisement - it's your watch that tells most about who you are.
Perhaps. But I seriously doubt it. :)

I still maintain that for the average man, in most circumstances, only a wedding ring and a wristwatch amount to jewelry which he's likely to wear without attracting any particular attention. He may make regular use of various tools and devices which could plausibly be selected with an eye toward fashion or appearance, but there's a fundamental difference between wearing an item of jewelry, and carrying a tool or device.
--
Michael

#22 ·
Perhaps, Seiko is correct in its advertisement - it's your watch that tells most about who you are.
I doubt that. The watch is second only to your underwear as far as people noticing it, unless you're in a short-sleeve shirt; and even then, since most people couldn't tell a Rolex from a Timex at three feet, if your watch is telling about who you are, it's being pretty mum about it ...

#25 ·
While we're at it, let's work on convincing Chrysler to rename the 300. Everyone knows it ought to be called the Chrysler Ghetto Bentley, right?

And with purchase, Chrysler could throw in a really massive wristwatch.

(Lest you think I'm mocking Chrysler, I'll have you know that I happen to really like the 300, and am seriously considering buying one for my next car.)
--
Michael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.