12345Michael54321

Cufflinks are also part of typical male jewellery
I believe my words were, "entirely unobjectionable for a man to wear on nearly any occasion." I don't think cuff links qualify, given that I (like a significant percentage of men) sometimes wear polo shirts (no cuff link opportunities there), or long sleeve shirts without a suit or sport coat (and I don't care to wear cuff links without a suit or sport coat). Cuff links are more properly jewelry which can be worn on some (relatively formal) occasions.

And then a nice phone
While I own a cell phone, I've never worn it. Sometimes it sits in a coat pocket, or maybe in a briefcase, or not infrequently it gets left in the car. I certainly don't regard it as an item of jewelry.

I suppose if one needs eyeglasses, they could be thought of as jewelry, although I'm not sure a medical (in this case, visual) aid really qualifies on this count. I mean, if I undergo hip replacement surgery, I don't think the cane I'd use during my recovery would constitute a jewelry item. If I'm undergoing orthodontia, I don't really consider my braces to be jewelry - and they'd even be metallic. (Please, nobody feel compelled to bring up braces' bastard cousin, "Grillz." If you seriously contend that it's unobjectionable for a man to wear Grillz on most any occasion, you and I lack sufficient common ground to fruitfully discuss anything.)

I'll grant you that I do wear sunglasses sometimes. Hardly "on nearly any occasion" though - wearing sunglasses indoors, or at night, has always struck me as a ridiculous practice. (And before you get all pedantic on me, fine, I acknowledge that a miniscule percentage of men might need to wear sunglasses indoors and at night for ophthalmological reasons.)

Carried (not really worn) by a rather limited percentage of men.

Okay, fair enough. I routinely carry around a fountain pen. True, most men regard pens purely as cheap, disposable tools, not as jewelry. But then, most men probably regard wristwatches nearly the same way. So fine, for many men, a nice pen is potentially a form of jewelry which is basically acceptable in a wide variety of situations.

But I wouldn't say that I wear my pen.

money clip
Okay, I guess for the minority of men who use money clips, they could be seen as jewelry. Still not really something that's worn, strictly speaking.

Don't own one, nor do the vast majority of men own one. As opposed to wristwatches, which are owned by a majority of American men. And again, one doesn't typically wear an iPad. I suppose even if you clipped it to your belt or something, it would still be an item which you're carrying around, as opposed to wearing.

Perhaps, Seiko is correct in its advertisement - it's your watch that tells most about who you are.
Perhaps. But I seriously doubt it. :)

I still maintain that for the average man, in most circumstances, only a wedding ring and a wristwatch amount to jewelry which he's likely to wear without attracting any particular attention. He may make regular use of various tools and devices which could plausibly be selected with an eye toward fashion or appearance, but there's a fundamental difference between wearing an item of jewelry, and carrying a tool or device.
--
Michael

JerseyJohn

Perhaps, Seiko is correct in its advertisement - it's your watch that tells most about who you are.
I doubt that. The watch is second only to your underwear as far as people noticing it, unless you're in a short-sleeve shirt; and even then, since most people couldn't tell a Rolex from a Timex at three feet, if your watch is telling about who you are, it's being pretty mum about it ...

12345Michael54321

While we're at it, let's work on convincing Chrysler to rename the 300. Everyone knows it ought to be called the Chrysler Ghetto Bentley, right?

And with purchase, Chrysler could throw in a really massive wristwatch.

(Lest you think I'm mocking Chrysler, I'll have you know that I happen to really like the 300, and am seriously considering buying one for my next car.)
--
Michael

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^
LOL. Resist that urge. The Chrysler 300 is a whole lot of very inefficient sheet metal, connected to a badly engineered powertrain. If you have your heart set on a Chrysler product, get yourself one of those resurrected, souped-up Challengers. ;)

Bandit44

I'll take the other side on this one. I like the OP's watches. Although I wouldn't wear that AP with a suit, in the last 10 years it has become much more acceptable to do this. Perhaps not here at AAAC, but there are many other circles that have different ideas about personal style.

Seldom do we bat an eye when someone posts a photo wearing a GTH jacket, a pair of red socks, or spectators, but when a new member displays a watch with similar qualities, it is too readily dismissed as ostentatious or falling outside the rules of dress etiquette. I say lighten up on the guy.

Tiger

Elite Member
I thought this was a joke at first. None of those watches have any business being worn with a suit (except maybe the Milgauss). And the conspicuous inclusion of the BMW logo....too funny.
But the watches will invariably look great when paired with a "mansion or a villa in France or a yacht or a string of poloponies."

Last edited:

M Go Crimson

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
I'll take the other side on this one. I like the OP's watches. Although I wouldn't wear that AP with a suit, in the last 10 years it has become much more acceptable to do this. Perhaps not here at AAAC, but there are many other circles that have different ideas about personal style.

Seldom do we bat an eye when someone posts a photo wearing a GTH jacket, a pair of red socks, or spectators, but when a new member displays a watch with similar qualities, it is too readily dismissed as ostentatious or falling outside the rules of dress etiquette. I say lighten up on the guy.
I'm pretty much in the same boat except for the Panerai, I really dislike the "cage" around the crown. I just don't understand the choice of the Royal Oak Offshore. It is bordering on comical looking on a wrist his size. I'm sure the limited edition colored dial, subdials and movement decoration were part of the attraction to the piece, but was there not a Royal Oak model that he liked?

epj1906

Starting Member

It's actually quite interesting to see all these posts. I like seeing different points of view.

We agree on shoes and clothes, we disagree on watches, and perhaps autos.........

None of us loose any sleep over it.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
While we're at it, let's work on convincing Chrysler to rename the 300. Everyone knows it ought to be called the Chrysler Ghetto Bentley, right?

And with purchase, Chrysler could throw in a really massive wristwatch.

(Lest you think I'm mocking Chrysler, I'll have you know that I happen to really like the 300, and am seriously considering buying one for my next car.)
--
Michael
Michael: Please PM me re: your new 300 purchase, I can help make things very easy for you. I'll make sure they throw in a 55mm iced out watch should you desire.

^^
LOL. Resist that urge. The Chrysler 300 is a whole lot of very inefficient sheet metal, connected to a badly engineered powertrain. If you have your heart set on a Chrysler product, get yourself one of those resurrected, souped-up Challengers. ;)
Eagle, this is going to be one of those flaming posts where I take PERSONAL offense to your lack of knowledge on the subject, while badmouthing, literally, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of AMERICAN workers. I'll refrain from making such a personal attack on you.

The OLD 300, yes, was a terrible product. However, the NEW 300 (2011 MY+) is a technological marvel that is absolutely unparalleled in its class. Before you go making such statements, I suggest you become a little more versed on the topic. The NEW 300 is built on a Mercedes E class platform (as it was prior, only the previous generation MB), however, they have taken such remarkable steps not only in build quality, but in technology, power, and fuel efficiency, that there is literally no competition.

I've been in the industry for 15 years, the majority of it dealing with luxury and exotic cars. As a benefit to my position, I get to drive pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, including all of the German luxury offerings in all classes. To date, I have given back the following vehicles in favor of a NEW 300 (2011/2012): Mercedes E Class (both 350 and 550, sedans and a coupe, of current body style); BMW 535i, 650i, 750iL; Audi A4, A6, and A8L. This isn't, however, a comprehensive list.

Try this: go find a FULL SIZE vehicle you can buy for under 35k that gets 25+ MPG and has every creature comfort that technology offers. Can I sync my phone, via bluetooth, to the $70K Mercedes E550 Sport to play music? No. Does the MB keep my coffee hot on a 90 minute commute? No. Does the MB get 25 mpg? No. Yet, the ' very inefficient sheet metal, connected to a badly engineered powertrain' offers all of that for half the price. Stupid Americans thinking they can build a quality car, how silly..........

Do some research Eagle before you speak so publicly about something so important: you'd be surprised what you may learn.

Oh, and of note, the Challenger is the EXACT same platform connected to the EXACT same powertrain. Just with 2 doors, not four.

Last edited:

4dgt90

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
i prefer smaller simple watches.

i have a gold vintage Omega Seamaster auto (before Seamasters were dive watches) I inherited from my late father on a brown lizard strap which is my favorite

hamilton khaki auto

timex field watch

all 38mm or under.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.