joenobody0

Great watch. I just switched out of my beads of rice bracelet last week. You cannot beat an IWC bracelet IMHO.
Indeed. I really love the watch head of my Rolex GMT, but I can't stand the bracelet. I always thought it wasn't very nice, but then I picked up this IWC and then I knew it wasn't nice!

I need to pick up a strap so I can start wearing the GMT again.

eyedoc2180

Now Gentlemen, let's not beat the new memb into submission. They are some nice watches, though maybe not suit-worthy. A slim Movado is my choice with a good shirt, as it doesn't rub the sleeve so badly.

epj1906

Starting Member
Now Gentlemen, let's not beat the new memb into submission. They are some nice watches, though maybe not suit-worthy. A slim Movado is my choice with a good shirt, as it doesn't rub the sleeve so badly.
To each their own. I like what I like and make no apologies. The post was to see what others liked as well. There is no right or wrong in my book.

No one is going to be beating me into submission. I have been on Internet forums since the days of 9600 baud modems and text only based BBS's.

I'm no newb by any definition, and yes that includes fashion based forums.

They are not all as traditionally and conservative based as this one, but that's why I like the diversity.

4dgt90

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Aren't MBs built in the MB plant in Alabama and therefore by American workers?

Michael: Please PM me re: your new 300 purchase, I can help make things very easy for you. I'll make sure they throw in a 55mm iced out watch should you desire.

Eagle, this is going to be one of those flaming posts where I take PERSONAL offense to your lack of knowledge on the subject, while badmouthing, literally, HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of AMERICAN workers. I'll refrain from making such a personal attack on you.

The OLD 300, yes, was a terrible product. However, the NEW 300 (2011 MY+) is a technological marvel that is absolutely unparalleled in its class. Before you go making such statements, I suggest you become a little more versed on the topic. The NEW 300 is built on a Mercedes E class platform (as it was prior, only the previous generation MB), however, they have taken such remarkable steps not only in build quality, but in technology, power, and fuel efficiency, that there is literally no competition.

I've been in the industry for 15 years, the majority of it dealing with luxury and exotic cars. As a benefit to my position, I get to drive pretty much whatever I want, whenever I want, including all of the German luxury offerings in all classes. To date, I have given back the following vehicles in favor of a NEW 300 (2011/2012): Mercedes E Class (both 350 and 550, sedans and a coupe, of current body style); BMW 535i, 650i, 750iL; Audi A4, A6, and A8L. This isn't, however, a comprehensive list.

Try this: go find a FULL SIZE vehicle you can buy for under 35k that gets 25+ MPG and has every creature comfort that technology offers. Can I sync my phone, via bluetooth, to the $70K Mercedes E550 Sport to play music? No. Does the MB keep my coffee hot on a 90 minute commute? No. Does the MB get 25 mpg? No. Yet, the ' very inefficient sheet metal, connected to a badly engineered powertrain' offers all of that for half the price. Stupid Americans thinking they can build a quality car, how silly..........

Do some research Eagle before you speak so publicly about something so important: you'd be surprised what you may learn.

Oh, and of note, the Challenger is the EXACT same platform connected to the EXACT same powertrain. Just with 2 doors, not four.

LoneWolf

Rolex Day Date
Rolex GMT II
Rolex Sea Dweller
Rolex Yachtmaster
Tudor Chrono
JLC Master Calendar
JLC Reverso Grande Date
Panerai Marina
Panerai Radiomir GMT
IWC Big Pilot
my grandfather's Bulova

I don't wear the Marina with a suit and since I've gotten the JLC's I've cut back on how often I wear the SD. The rest are in pretty regular roatation.

The good (or bad, depending on how you look at it) news is that I think I'm done. Anything else that I'd be interested in is way out of my price range.

To each their own and I think it's a very cool piece, but I'd never wear that AP with a suit.

I agree that nowadays watches are superfluous, but I wear mine for the same reason (insasmuch as possible) that I do everything in my life - because they make me happy.

And I agree that a watch, wedding ring, and cuff links are the only acceptable (and the only definitions, of the examples given) of men's jewelry. The rest are accessories.

Last edited:

eyedoc2180

To each their own. I like what I like and make no apologies. The post was to see what others liked as well. There is no right or wrong in my book.

No one is going to be beating me into submission. I have been on Internet forums since the days of 9600 baud modems and text only based BBS's.

I'm no newb by any definition, and yes that includes fashion based forums.

They are not all as traditionally and conservative based as this one, but that's why I like the diversity.
Exactly! And please accept a warm "Welcome!" BTW, what's a modem? ;)

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Aren't MBs built in the MB plant in Alabama and therefore by American workers?
Yes/No. The plant in Tuscaloosa was built in the 1990s to build the ML-class vehicles, which were developed for the American SUV market. To date, they've added the R-Class (Chrysler Pacifica platform) and GL-Class (new Dodge Durango). The rest of the MB line is still German built.

Of note, this is a NON-UNION factory.

tocqueville

Suspended
Seiko skx031 on solid ss oyster bracelet.
Good choice. I recently bought an SKX013 on that same bracelet, although I'm wondering if I should have gone with a 007.

I'm looking forward to taking pictures of it with the Honda logo on my CR-V steering wheel as a backdrop.

tocqueville

Suspended
I actually like the Rolex Milgauss. I could see myself wearing it with most everything, other than a DJ (etc).
As mentioned if you are taking the photos they are very nice.
I like the Milgauss for its looks; the technology itself is silly unless, I guess, one works as a professional electrician or something. Still, I wouldn't say no if someone offered me one. Would I wear it? You bet. I also like the Panerai, except for the cage around the crown, but I'm sure I could learn to live with that! The monster AP? Cool looking, but too big. Just too big.

As for the other Rolex, there's no excuse whatsoever for a man to wear a watch with diamond markers on it. It's not elegant. It's just expensive.

For the OP: You like watches (as do I), and fortunately for you, you have the means to buy some nice ones. For future purchases, I recommend perusing this current thread on watchuseek for some real beauties:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/what-best-looking-watch-all-time-your-humble-opinion-633906.html

We're talking watches that communicate quietly but confidently, "I am a man of taste."

hellomarty

...and the fiancée wears my datejust; I've been without a watch for four days and I'm HATING it. Yes, it is much easier to wear a watch than to pull the cell phone out.
My recently purchased watches are now owned by my wife. (Tag Carrera WV211B.FC6202, and Casio EQS500C-1A1) :eek2: Back to my Seamaster...aiming for that Milgauss.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
My recently purchased watches are now owned by my wife. (Tag Carrera WV211B.FC6202, and Casio EQS500C-1A1) :eek2: Back to my Seamaster...aiming for that Milgauss.
She actually hated my Milgauss. And, her reasoning is that a man shouldn't wear a watch with a diamond bezel. I let this go until I proposed, thinking it would be a substitute for the ring and once she had the ring, she'd have her fill of diamonds. Lesson learned.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.