tocqueville

Suspended
Yes, I spent 45 minutes looking at different types of vintage USSR watches. As this is new to me (as of two hours ago), can you make a recommendation as to what brands to focus on for an automatic vintage USSR made piece?
I think with the Soviet stuff one has to learn to tell the difference between good and bad models/brands. I once owned a Soviet-era pocket watch that was lovely, until I dropped it, and the movement shattered. I'm guessing other models are more robust than that.

Meanwhile, I was just in Starbucks and spotted an Omega Speedmaster on someone's wrist. I'm almost embarrassed by how badly I want one.

hellomarty

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Yes/No. The plant in Tuscaloosa was built in the 1990s to build the ML-class vehicles, which were developed for the American SUV market. To date, they've added the R-Class (Chrysler Pacifica platform) and GL-Class (new Dodge Durango). The rest of the MB line is still German built.

Of note, this is a NON-UNION factory.
I think C Class is built in South Africa or Austria?

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
I think C Class is built in South Africa or Austria?
Assuming we're talking US-sold vehicles, no, that is incorrect. All Mercedes sold in the US, aside from the ML, R, and GL, are built in Germany. While Magna Steyr reports to make the G-Class, which may be true for overseas models, the US model continues to carry a German VIN.

filfoster

Is there a point to wear a watch at all? :) You have it on your mobile, laptop, car dashboard, TV, hear updates from the radio... Personally not against watches though :)
Yes. Watches will eventually decline like O scale trains. Take a notice of people under 25 or so and you won't see many wrist watches because they have the time on their phones. Or pads or whatever they have that they stare at while driving.

For the record, I wasted a lot of $ on two new Rolexes several years ago that now sit in boxes in the dark. I wear a 'Benrus' military comemorative watch (Benrus in name only, I think as the company has really gone out of watchmaking except for the name).

Last edited:

bd79cc

Those are some very nice watches, epj. Your collection sounds like lots of fun!

I own a Seiko SNZH53 and a Timex Andros. Both are diver's-style watches, which I wear because they're large and easy for me to read, plus the timing ring on each watch helps me when I'm cooking or running errands. I've added a brown alligator strap to the Seiko and a brownish-purple crocodile strap to the Timex. The exotic straps, vestiges of a time when I was more interested in much pricier watches, really improved the looks of both items. Plus, the Seiko diver's watch subculture is really fascinating.

Don't be fooled by the watch critics around here. No matter what the watch, it earns a place on your wrist and in your good collection by delivering accurate time, doing whatever else you need it to do, and being something you look forward to looking at often over the long term.

Last edited:

MikeDT

I wear one of these...

Although mine hasn't got the hour markings. Often receives compliments.

Wouldn't wear a Rolex myself, they're far too common around these parts.

Last edited:

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
Yes. Watches will eventually decline like O scale trains. Take a notice of people under 25 or so and you won't see many wrist watches because they have the time on their phones. Or pads or whatever they have that they stare at while driving.

For the record, I wasted a lot of $ on two new Rolexes several years ago that now sit in boxes in the dark. I wear a 'Benrus' military comemorative watch (Benrus in name only, I think as the company has really gone out of watchmaking except for the name).
Considering the sale of those Rolexi?

godan

Elite Member
Id like to find a vintage stainless Omega, with subseconds dial, not a diver or timer, to wear on weekends. Any help would be appreciated
This may not be what you would wish to hear, but it is based on many years of experience with vintage watches. Take some time to learn the details, including costs, of maintaining a vintage mechanical watch. There are many internet options to buy, but for long-term ownership, I recommend shopping for a reconditioned watch with a warranty at an established bricks and mortar shop. Pick a place that you know has been in business for a long time and that you think will remain in business as long as you intend to own the watch. To get a feel for such a place - prices, services and general style - look at righttime.com.

filfoster

Considering the sale of those Rolexi?
I should. One is a stainless with gold/stainless Oyster band, gold bezel and Roman numerals. Probably worth as much as I paid originally and seldom worn, less than a dozen times. The other is the same model, all stainless, Oyster band. Both are Datejust, white face.
The only thing more painful than buying them, once the Mrs. found out (then bought her one too) would be to sell them after enduring all that detention time.

LoneWolf

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
While your rationale is logical, even though I know nothing about model trains (except that I heard that Neil Young owns Lionel) I'm willing to bet that there is a small segment of train enthusiasts who would pay top dollar for the right O scale train - "right" being the operative word.

Similarly, I think the right watch will always be sought after by collectors, particularly as some models become discontinued, e.g., "red letter" and Comex dive watches by Rolex.

At any rate, I've built my collection carefully in terms of what I've purchased and where I sourced it with the idea that it may one day help fund my retirement - I've had my first "nice" watch for 15+ years, and so far everything I have has held or increased in value.

TheGreatTwizz

Elite Member
I should. One is a stainless with gold/stainless Oyster band, gold bezel and Roman numerals. Probably worth as much as I paid originally and seldom worn, less than a dozen times. The other is the same model, all stainless, Oyster band. Both are Datejust, white face.
The only thing more painful than buying them, once the Mrs. found out (then bought her one too) would be to sell them after enduring all that detention time.
Well, should you ever consider, both sound like something I'd be interested in (I've been looking for a new oyster datejust), shoot me a PM.

filfoster

I think you missed Jersey John's point. To use a pocket watch, one must remove it from one's pocket, much like a cell phone. A wrist watch is always right there, waiting for you to glance at it.

Andy B.
And the 'watchless' twentysomethings today just look at their cellphones for the time. Unless they're scuba diving or flashing bling or whatever the current argot is.

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.