yoshi1995

Starting Member
Hey guys,

On other forums when asked this question, the answers given are often that of cheap, poorly made, and ugly khakis [such as Ralph Lauren, LL Bean, and Duckhead]. I am searching for a pair of khakis that are not only luxurious in feel, but appearance.

Price is not an issue, as long as the quality deserves it. I’m located in the United Kingdom, so it is hard finding khakis with a 33” waist [which I possess. The waist, not the khakis, otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this thread].

Some of the manufacturers recommended to me on a separate forum that seem to hold merit are: Bill’s Khakis, Orvis, Frank’s Pants, O’Connell’s, and The Andover Shop. Unfortunately, only three out of that list offer my size; only one has my size in stock in the khakis I want!

Being British I would like to support British manufacturers, although if none exist, little brother America will do :D

Thoughts?

drpeter

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure if Bill's Khakis has your size, but they are among the best khakis I have owned. I have about 50 of their khakis. They offer a wide selection of models, colours, cloths and styles, but the two kinds I like best are the Bullard Field Pants, and the Signature 15th anniversary trousers. The cloth I like best from their selection of twills and poplins is the WWII style, heavier weight (10 oz, I think) drill cloth. These trousers are virtually indestructible and take starch well, if you like that kind of thing.

The other makers I can think of are Ben Silver and Jack Donnelly. I possess some of Ben Silver's English Drill Cloth khaki trousers with forward pleats. They fit well and are comfortable. The cloth is thinner than the Bill's Khakis models, but that is fine by me as a change from heavier weights. I haven't tried Donnelly, partly because the modern narrow style trousers, with drainpipe legs and a low rise are not at all appealing to me.

By the way, if you have a decent alterations tailor, it is not hard to buy trousers with a 34" waist, and take it in to 33", provided those trousers fit all of your other specifications.

Last edited:

August West

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
https://jackdonnelly.com/products/twill-chino-m3-tapered?variant=32508341944402

I would strongly encourage you to look at Jack Donnelly M3 tapered fit. They tick all of your boxes (aside from UK made). Looks like 33's are currently out of stock, but they reload relatively frequently.
I just picked up a pair (also size 33). From my perspective they are perfect, higher rise with a nice taper.
Bill's, Orvis etc I always have to have the legs taken in.

New Old Stock

Hey guys,

On other forums when asked this question, the answers given are often that of cheap, poorly made, and ugly khakis [such as Ralph Lauren, LL Bean, and Duckhead]. I am searching for a pair of khakis that are not only luxurious in feel, but appearance.

Price is not an issue, as long as the quality deserves it. I’m located in the United Kingdom, so it is hard finding khakis with a 33” waist [which I possess. The waist, not the khakis, otherwise I wouldn’t be posting this thread].

Some of the manufacturers recommended to me on a separate forum that seem to hold merit are: Bill’s Khakis, Orvis, Frank’s Pants, O’Connell’s, and The Andover Shop. Unfortunately, only three out of that list offer my size; only one has my size in stock in the khakis I want!

Being British I would like to support British manufacturers, although if none exist, little brother America will do :D

Thoughts?
Stateside, the UKs *younger* brother :cool: has some decent options. My preference is for JPress & O'Connell's. But unless you're confident in how all these recommended brands fit, & don't mind international shipping/return costs, I'd stick to something in the UK.
Most importantly, I wouldn't get too attached to your waist size. Trousers from brands like JP & OC are easily taken in and out. But if you've never worn a high/higher rise trouser, chances are you're a different size. If I put on a pair of low rise JCrew trousers, they buckle around my hips. And although they tag it as a 32", its more like a 34". But high rise trousers will buckle about an inch under the belly button and be a true 32".
I would measure a pair that fits you well & email these companies (or some forum members) for dimensions before ordering.
Good luck & welcome to the Trad Forum!

Greg D

Starting Member
I second the recommendation for Jack Donnelly khakis. They offer a variety of fits - I own two pairs of the M2 fit, and they have a higher rise and are just loose enough without being baggy.

In one case, there was a mix up in my order, and the owner of the company emailed me personally to make things right. He had also emailed me when a style I was interested in but sold out in my size (the M3 fit) was back in stock! The combination of his product and his service has earned my loyalty.

blue suede shoes

According to the post below by TheUndertaker on the Hertling/Andover Shop thread, the Andover Shop has the best khakis, and they will even make them up for you. I should try this service myself, once the pandemic subsides.

https://askandyaboutclothes.com/community/threads/oconnells-hertling-question.243215/

You will be very pleased with anything purchased from the Andover Shop. Their tailors are top notch. I went for my first fitting on the khaki trousers I ordered. Measurements were spot on. The cloth is absolutely gorgeous. I will post pictures when finished.

drpeter

I have some Andover Shop grey flannels that are exemplary in both cloth and construction. Worth every penny. I take extremely good care of them.

John M

How are the new Jack Donnelly pants? I ordered them back when they were made in Georgia and I believe they are now made in Texas?

@yoshi1995 - I am going to second @David J. Cooper's recommendation for Cordings if you want to support British manufacturing and I am the same way with my "American made" mantra.

I am loyal to O'Connell's though.

August West

How are the new Jack Donnelly pants? I ordered them back when they were made in Georgia and I believe they are now made in Texas?
As far as I am concerned, the cut of the M3 is just about perfect. Higher rise and tapered. HIgh quality cloth and construction. 30% off today for cyber Monday, though the price was increased from $98 to $125 very recently (just before the sale).

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
As far as I am concerned, the cut of the M3 is just about perfect. Higher rise and tapered. HIgh quality cloth and construction. 30% off today for cyber Monday, though the price was increased from $98 to $125 very recently (just before the sale).
Wow, if they really increased the price just to, then, be able to put it on sale - they go to clothing-store jail for me. Especially for a real brand. I expect fake full-prices from stores like J.Crew and the Gap, but JD isn't one of those type of brands.

Re the M3 fit. I haven't tried JD's version, but I love Bill's M3 fit as you said, it's a nice middle ground with a reasonable rise and reasonable tapering that looks classic, not baggy or too high waisted. I just ordered a pair of Bill's at Cyber Monday 30% off - still expensive, but at least they didn't jack the prices ahead of the sale.

fred johnson

Just ordered two pairs of M1's late last week, Greg said they would be shipping out today. I will report back when they arrive. I have been strictly a Bills M1 man for years so I will see how Jacks M1's compare; would have ordered them sooner but they were not in stock.

John M

Yeah, they are now a hard pass for me. I was willing to possibly give them another chance but I will stick with O'Connell's and ONLY O'Connell's going forward. Also, JD only has plain old beige light khaki. They used to have other colors going back.

August West

Wow, if they really increased the price just to, then, be able to put it on sale - they go to clothing-store jail for me. Especially for a real brand. I expect fake full-prices from stores like J.Crew and the Gap, but JD isn't one of those type of brands.

Re the M3 fit. I haven't tried JD's version, but I love Bill's M3 fit as you said, it's a nice middle ground with a reasonable rise and reasonable tapering that looks classic, not baggy or too high waisted. I just ordered a pair of Bill's at Cyber Monday 30% off - still expensive, but at least they didn't jack the prices ahead of the sale.
Not a great tactic I agree, though I've not seen JD do anything like this before. $125 (new price) is still fair in my opinion for high quality MIUSA khakis.

Bill's seems to run almost perpetual sales in recent years, and IMO their full price of $160ish? is inflated.

Admittedly I am somewhat of a JD fanboy.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
Not a great tactic I agree, though I've not seen JD do anything like this before. $125 (new price) is still fair in my opinion for high quality MIUSA khakis.

Bill's seems to run almost perpetual sales in recent years, and IMO their full price of $160ish? is inflated.

Your points are good ones, as Bill's does start at a higher price point and does run several sales throughout the year. But raising your full price in front of a sale is just a bad move even if, big picture, it is still an okay price.

I bought several Bill's a few years back when it was in trouble and selling its pants sub $100 - at that price, they were incredible value. I do think they are really well made and I love the M3 fit, but I haven't bought a pair (until the one this Monday) since then. On that sale a few years back, I bought a couple of pairs of its Cramerton chinos. They are incredible, maybe the best chinos I've every own, but I don't think they carry them any more.

I'd give JD a try except the one color only kinda discourages me.

My alternative chino is J.Crew's, which, on one if its many, many sales, cost less than $50 a pair. They too are very good value at that price, but nowhere near as nice as Bill's.

Last edited:

Greg D

Starting Member
I am with Mr. West (going out on a limb, it must be the Deadhead connection), and I am a JD fanboy as well. Before the COVID situation, they offered slate gray (grey?), navy, and olive green (I have a pair of these as well as a pair in khaki) in addition to the current khaki color. I believe they recently switched suppliers and imagine the move to one color is to get up and running, lockdown his supply chain, and ensure the new maker can fulfill what they need before they start adding additional colors. Time will tell!

drpeter

Your points are good ones, as Bill's does start at a higher price point and does run several sales throughout the year. But raising your full price in front of a sale is just a bad move even if, big picture, it is still an okay price.

I bought several Bill's a few years back when it was in trouble and selling its pants sub $100 - at that price, they were incredible value. I do think they are really well made and I love the M3 fit, but I haven't bought a pair (until the one this Monday) since then. On that sale, I bought a couple of pairs of its Cramerton chinos. They are incredible, maybe the best chinos I've every own, but I don't think they carry them any more.

I'd give JD a try except the one color only kinda discourages me.

My alternative chino is J.Crew's, which, on one if its many, many sales, cost less than $50 a pair. They too are very good value at that price, but nowhere near as nice as Bill's.
Most of the dozens of Bill's khakis I own were bought on one type of sale or another. Quite a few were picked up online and on eBay where resellers sold them at substantially reduced prices, often new with tags. Most of those trousers I would have paid no more than $50 and they are all in great shape. The first two Bill's khakis I bought were at full price, from their website, but that was back in the nineties, I think.

On a slightly different note, I am amazed that I have gone past the 1000 posts mark! It's something of a milestone for me. I don't think I have had as many posts on any other forum.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
Most of the dozens of Bill's khakis I own were bought on one type of sale or another. Quite a few were picked up online and on eBay where resellers sold them at substantially reduced prices, often new with tags. Most of those trousers I would have paid no more than $50 and they are all in great shape. The first two Bill's khakis I bought were at full price, from their website, but that was back in the nineties, I think.

On a slightly different note, I am amazed that I have gone past the 1000 posts mark! It's something of a milestone for me. I don't think I have had as many posts on any other forum.
Congratulations on your first 1000posts and thank you for your many contributions to the betterment of our brotherhood! However, beware, as it never seems to end. LOL. ;)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.