L-feld

Advanced Member
Finally getting around to tackling Heidegger's "Being and Time," with Hubert Dreyfuss's online seminar as my guide.

Also decided to re-read "There's No Such Thing As Free Speech" by Stanley Fish. It's funny how relevant it is to today's political discourse. Everyone is still arguing about the same old junk. It's definitely a good re-read, though. The first time I read it, I was in college, looking at it from the perspective of an English major. Now, as a government lawyer with an eye toward public policy, I'm finding Fish's arguments to be far more useful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

thea

Starting Member
David Rockefeller's Memoirs.
Funny enough I am reading (with great delight) The Wit of the Robber Barons. My favorite quote is from JP Morgan elder "Listen much, speak little and write nothing". Guess I am not following that advice at the moment.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
^^Silas Marner....one of my all time favorite reads.
I was required to read it for the first time when a student in high school and for some reason have found myself rereading it, every four to five years since that first read. Not sure if it is the miserly inclinations of Silas or his commitment to raising and seemingly limitless love for the child that most appeals to me. ;)

thea

Starting Member
I misspoke, the name of the book is WISDOM FROM THE ROBBER BARONS, George David Smith and Frederick Dalzell copyright 2000, (I confess to frequenting old book stores) Perseus publishing. Hope you can find it online.
THea, can you tell us the author of this? I couldn't find it in a quick search.

Thank you!

Shaver

Suspended
^^Silas Marner....one of my all time favorite reads.
I was required to read it for the first time when a student in high school and for some reason have found myself rereading it, every four to five years since that first read. Not sure if it is the miserly inclinations of Silas or his commitment to raising and seemingly limitless love for the child that most appeals to me. ;)
Don't tell me how it ends! :icon_smile:

Snow Hill Pond

Advanced Member
Things That Matter by Charles Krauthammer...short essays, but very tough sledding.

In preparation for the upcoming golf season, I'm re-reading Harvey Pennick's Little Red Book.

L-feld

Advanced Member
Taking a break from Heidegger to indulge in some light reading. Just read "Black Rednecks and White Liberals" by Thomas Sowell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.