The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
This might just be a Japan thing, but for the last few years, quite a few of the men's shoe stores have been carrying a variety of blue (or purple, I'm a touch color-blind) dress shoes. They're available in a variety of price points, so I don't think they're just for the younger "disposable fashion" set, but I've never seen anyone wearing them.

Is this some fashion-forward thing, or is it just something I've not yet learned about? Assuming you would wear them (and I suspect there are a number of people who wouldn't), what would you wear them with?

Attached image is just from a google search to show, generally, what I'm talking about.

Tiger

Elite Member
Most of the blue shoes (with Carlos Santos the notable exception) I've seen are a very dark navy; they'll appear to be black under some lighting, but the brighter the light, the bluer the shoe.

StephenRG

Honors Member
I have a few pairs - a Chelsea boot, a suede chukka, penny loafers, single monk, a PTB and an apron suede blucher. The only one formal enough to wear with a suit is the monk, which I happily wear with a grey pinstripe or POW check. The rest I'll wear with trousers and blazer, or with jeans. So I like blue shoes, but would wear only navy or other dark blue dress shoes with suit.

Justin Fitzpatrick, of "The Shoe Snob Blog" and his own shoe firm, is a big fan of blue dress shoes.

Last edited:

JLibourel

Honors Member and King Fop
I have no objection in theory to dark blue dress shoes, but those I've seen (mostly in pictures) have looked so dark as to be almost indistinguishable from black, thus not worth the extra expense.

bernoulli

I have 4 pair of blue shoes and love them all. My favorite is from septieme largeur (below). I pair it with suits (mid-grey, brown and even mid-blue for a monochromatic look), and sport coats. I find my SL shoes versatile and would only refrain from wearing them with charcoal suits.

ScarletDrew

I have 4 pair of blue shoes and love them all. My favorite is from septieme largeur (below). I pair it with suits (mid-grey, brown and even mid-blue for a monochromatic look), and sport coats. I find my SL shoes versatile and would only refrain from wearing them with charcoal suits.

Regardless of shoe color, isn't a matching belt required (esp. with a suit)? I own no blue shoes, but I wonder... does this rule still apply with odd-colored shoes? Where does one acquire a blue leather belt (I suspect one must be available somewhere)?

bernoulli

I have two blue belts. One bought in a small shop in Rome (really high quality), and another bought at H&M for peanuts. They exist and I don't think are particularly hard to find in Europe.

Regardless of shoe color, isn't a matching belt required (esp. with a suit)? I own no blue shoes, but I wonder... does this rule still apply with odd-colored shoes? Where does one acquire a blue leather belt (I suspect one must be available somewhere)?

RogerP

Connoisseur
Two pairs of blue shoes and one pair of blue boots here - and I couldn't imagine my rotation without them. Lovely example there Bernoulli!

Blue leather belts can be found at this place called the internet. :cool2:

The Shabby Professor

Starting Member
Right, thanks to all for the quick education. The Japanese have some different ideas about style than Westerners do, so it can be hard to tell where something falls on the style spectrum in the outside world.

Watchman

Elite Member
I will be procuring a pair of Navy Shell Cordovan Whole Cut Oxfords sooner rather than later.

Navy is both classic and tasteful. Versatile and unique.

Very exciting...

Thanks.

StephenRG

Honors Member
I have a pair of tan-colored shoes that I was planning to dye blue.
Any suggestions?
I've done this twice. I assume you know to prepare the shoes to be dyed - strip 'em with acetone (in a well-ventilated area). Take three paper cups, and pour a small amount of navy dye in each. Dilute one cup with a little acetone, another with a little more. Using a paint brush, apply the dye, alternating cups, except for the toe where you just use the undyed. Be patient. The result should be a deep, slightly mottled ("museum") blue. Let the shoes dry, and then use some navy blue wax polish sparingly and buff.

mreams99

I've done this twice. I assume you know to prepare the shoes to be dyed - strip 'em with acetone (in a well-ventilated area). Take three paper cups, and pour a small amount of navy dye in each. Dilute one cup with a little acetone, another with a little more. Using a paint brush, apply the dye, alternating cups, except for the toe where you just use the undyed. Be patient. The result should be a deep, slightly mottled ("museum") blue. Let the shoes dry, and then use some navy blue wax polish sparingly and buff.
I've dyed shoes before, but never navy. I'm a little concerned that they won't turn out navy, and instead they'll be "tan + navy".
Have you done this with navy?

Dmontez

Elite Member
I think St. Crispins has one of the most beautiful navy leathers available. This is SCO 58, and I have a pair of split toes on order in the same.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.