TRH

I've never actually worn one out before I "outgrew" it :eek:.
I feel your pain as well... back when I weighed something like 35lbs more, I had managed to acquire a few really nice suits for myself (full-canvassed etc.), but little did I know I was going to drop those pounds and shrink like three sizes down.

Now I'm just happy I could unload them to other people who gave them a nice home (they were nice suits though...).

ykurtz

Active Member with Corp. Privileges
Had two suits that developed shine (caused by sitting on leather chairs, as well as elbows on varnished wood, etc.) across the years, wiped the shiny areas down with white vinegar (and hang for a couple of days) and got another two years of life out of them. The shine literally disappeared.

wetnose

The Louche,

I have not had this problem with shine, but moths! Man, I hate moths. So, far so good this go round, but I have lost thousands of dollars in suits jackets, and pants, not to mention sweaters, to moths. Some of those jackets were by designers who have since died and were never that widely available. Real finds at the time.

rudy
I've heard of a technique to prevent moths: basically take your woolens and throw them into a deep freezer for at least 2 days. The microscopic eggs are fragile and can't take the deep cold.

The Louche

Had two suits that developed shine (caused by sitting on leather chairs, as well as elbows on varnished wood, etc.) across the years, wiped the shiny areas down with white vinegar (and hang for a couple of days) and got another two years of life out of them. The shine literally disappeared.
Did you literally "wipe them down?" By using a vinegar soaked rag? Or pouring vinegar right on them? Or...?

Please enlighten. I HATE shine.

ZachGranstrom

I use a spray bottle that has 1 part vinegar 3 parts water, just to lightly coat the shiny areas. Then I let it stand there for a day, and usually after that the shiny parts are gone.:icon_smile_big:

son of brummell

1. What do you find is the cause for your shine, Mark? (I'm assuming you are judicious enough with dry cleaning that it isn't the cause)

3. I've heard of this before - what exactly causes it?

4. My father used to do this when he was young. One of the first sartorial lessons he taught me when I came of age was to get a wallet that will fit my coat's inner breast pocket and keep it there. Sage advice.

9. (and I'm guessing 6) Flusser?

1. Shine--It mostly comes from sitting and working at desk. It is from the constant abrasion. This is a problem with hard finished cloths.

3. Crotch wearing-out--This is from the abrasion of the inner thighs rubbing against each while walking. Heavy men get this. One way to help prevent this is a crotch lining. But as long as there is constant rubbing, the crotch will wear-out. The best solution is to lose weight. However, some thin men have this problem.

4. I did this with a couple of suits. I finally realized that the wallet was causing too much abrasion.

6 & 9. No comment. Except I'll say that you can get tired of certain things. Not everyone views a suit as a lifetime investment. I have a client who used to buy bespoke from Morty Sills (suits) and John Lobb. He got tired of them, and he got rid of them. He now wears Paul Stuart RTW.

Last edited:

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
While they were certainly not worn out, I passed all but two of my suits along, about three years after I retired (the last time!). As I recall, that was perhaps 17 suits but, I just was not wearing them enough to justify the closet space. Since that point, I have been focusing on my less formal suiting/sport jacket and odd trouser options. ;)

VincentC

Ive got 4 suits, but have hardly worn them, and have no reason to. So i doubt they will ever get worn out. The only reason i would get rid of any of any of them is if i got tired of the suit and no longer felt the need to have it in my wardrobe space.
With these 4 suits i cant see me not wanting them at some point down the line, so they are staying in my wardrobe gathering dust.

Can any tell me how i can get some use out of them.? I dont need them for my current job you see

ykurtz

Did you literally "wipe them down?" By using a vinegar soaked rag? Or pouring vinegar right on them? Or...?

Please enlighten. I HATE shine.
Vinegar soaked cotton rag (I used a decommissioned pocket square). I then leave them hanging in my laundry room with an open window for a couple of days. No residual smell. Your mileage may vary.

RM Bantista

I've heard of a technique to prevent moths: basically take your woolens and throw them into a deep freezer for at least 2 days. The microscopic eggs are fragile and can't take the deep cold.
Thanks, seems sound and I would if I had a large freezer, which I do not. But when I do I will.

Thanks.

rudy

G

Guest-321036

Omg 😅 I came here to find answers for female clothing and found this treasure. Was quite helpful though! The matter of question was a sports jacket 😁 favourite one, obviously, as I dedicated myself to researches.

ran23

I have a closet full of 38 suits and jackets. I am now a 40-s. Hoping my Niece's son can wear those odd jackets. suits? haven't found anyone my size back then.

Tweedlover

When you know they don't fit you anymore or when you know you don't need to dress up for any occasion any longer.
As someone who rather unexpectedly lost about 50 pounds and could have fit into some suits and jackets I got rid of many years ago, I could say hang on to them and see if you'll shrink back down again. But, who knows if that would ever happen. I did hang onto 1 suit when I retired just in case there was ever any need of it. But, in 2 years there's been no need. There's an old adage that, if you haven't worn something in 2 years, it's time to pitch it.

eagle2250

Connoisseur/Curmudgeon Emeritus - Moderator
As someone who rather unexpectedly lost about 50 pounds and could have fit into some suits and jackets I got rid of many years ago, I could say hang on to them and see if you'll shrink back down again. But, who knows if that would ever happen. I did hang onto 1 suit when I retired just in case there was ever any need of it. But, in 2 years there's been no need. There's an old adage that, if you haven't worn something in 2 years, it's time to pitch it.
....but you should always keep one serviceable suit for each season. That's what I'm trying to do these days but the darned numbers keep creeping up. What's a guy to do? LOL. ;)

Howard

Connoisseur
I think The last time our Family dressed up for an occasion was I believe 13 years ago then after that there was no more occasions to go to.

icky thump

I think The last time our Family dressed up for an occasion was I believe 13 years ago then after that there was no more occasions to go to.
I used to wear a suit for work every day but post-pandemic it is now Adidas track pants and T-shirt. Was contemplating J Press's 2 for one sale but couldn't justify it.

And of course, after the sale ends, I put on a suit for a client meeting and find it riddled with holes near the crotch, with one on the sleeve. I'd suspect moths but no other suit was affected.

Fading Fast

Connoisseur
I used to wear a suit for work every day but post-pandemic it is now Adidas track pants and T-shirt. Was contemplating J Press's 2 for one sale but couldn't justify it.

And of course, after the sale ends, I put on a suit for a client meeting and find it riddled with holes near the crotch, with one on the sleeve. I'd suspect moths but no other suit was affected.
I'm sorry that happened to your suit . Odd if it was moths that it was only one, but hey, that at least, is a good thing.

Your first thought, "I want to a buy a suit but can't justify it," is happening to so many of us and is killing the suit business. Pre-Covid, my need for a suit dropped dramatically over the past decade as Wall St. embraced biz casual and all casual to keep up with tech companies in its ability to attract young talent and, in general, to not feel "stodgy."

I was thinking, however, that maybe I could justify one purchase as all my suits are, at least, ten years old, so maybe one "fresh" one made sense. Now, with Covid, the need for a suit has not only dropped to zero or near zero for many of us, but I believe it won't come back to where it was.

Too many former suit wearers - in decision making roles - have gotten used to not wearing a suit. Pulling a number out of the air, Covid probably accelerated the decline of the suit by five to ten years. Just like you, I was on the fence about getting a new suit, but Covid made me say no, at least until I see how things look after they "reopen."

I get that it's just clothes and the world has bigger problems, heck, I have bigger problems, but I'm still a bit sad that an entire way of dressing is dying right before our eyes.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

IMPORTANT: BEFORE POSTING PLEASE CHECK THE DATE OF THE LAST POST OF THIS THREAD. IF IT'S VERY OLD, PLEASE CONSIDER REGISTERING FIRST, AND STARTING A NEW THREAD ABOUT THIS TOPIC.